Cracking Diehard Platinum?

FJR Colorado

Explorer
Hi all
I have been lurking here for a few years, great forum by the way! A week and a half ago I got my group 31 platinum replaced(3.5 yrs old) because the diehard platinum charger I bought cooked it to the toon of 15.2 volts and the pressure valve opening. Took the charger back to sears for a refund and got a new platinum. Manager made it clear that there would be no warranty on the replacement battery (platinum #2) ok. Last night I was checking the open circuit voltage after charging on my new renogy 100watt folding panel. I noticed 2 small cracks emanating from the negative post. ******t.. Did some internet research and found 3 other cases of cracking platinum cases. This one on this thread, one in T4R forum, and one on a JK forum. Printed these up, grabbed my video camera and headed to the local sears ready for battle. Had the manager look at the cracks and he said,"hey, weren't you in here for a replacement because one of our chrgers cooked your platinum?" I said, "yea that was me, that makes this cracked one 11 days old". He thought for a minute and said ok we will replace it. I took out the old one(#2) and put in #3. No Battle necessary!! I was extra careful to just barely snug up the post clamps, Don't know if clamp tightness has anything to do with cracking but we will eliminate that possibility. So I am on platinum #3 in 3.5 yrs. Will not be going with a diehard when this one dies, There has to be something better out there. Thumbs up to sears in Mesa AZ for backing up there product, but thumbs down to diehard for inadequate case strength.
BTW : 96 T100 4x4 4inch SL, ball joint spacers,low profile bump stops, 4.56 R&P, onboard air w/tank and TJM air locker
You all have a good one
BT100

I could bore you to tears with stories of numerous bad batteries from Sears. NEVER get their battery. Ever. Just don't do it.

wrcsixeight

Adventurer
Wonder if that is how Odyssey can Justify putting one of their batteries into a Sears Diehard Platinum case, which sells for so much less.

Perhaps they save manufacturing costs on the case, or Perhaps people are seeing the brass studs/ posts and busting out their 3 foot breaker bars to tighten the terminals.

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
Isn't the Platinum an AGM battery? In that case, the acid won't leak out.

Well, the acid itself won't, but if that crack goes all the way into the cells, then hydrogen and oxygen will escape and the water content will decrease. Less messy, but same difference in terms of loss of battery life.

But I agree with another poster - I think it actually is just cosmetic.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles