Cracking Diehard Platinum?

LTrain0800

Observer
I'm hoping to get some feed back from you knowledgeable folks on my situation. I have a 4 month old group 31 Diehard Platinum battery in my truck and it's performing flawlessly but the battery case is cracking. I went by the Sears store and they informed me that they couldn't replace the battery due to cosmetic issues. I explained to them that the case was failing and it was more than cosmetic but no luck so far on getting it replaced. Has anyone else had this issue and had it resolved in their favor?
IMG_20140623_162706390_HDR.jpg

DaveNay

Adventurer
I would do two things.

- Try a different Sears store. If you are near a major metro area there are usually a half dozen around.
- Frame it as a safety issue. What happens when all the acid leaks out of the battery?

zelatore

Explorer
Isn't the Platinum an AGM battery? In that case, the acid won't leak out.
I'd still say it should be replaced though. And maybe you would want to double check that your battery cables aren't overly stressed just to make sure you get a second crack.

unseenone

Explorer
I agree, try a different Sears. I see the issue as more than cosmetic, because the crack is probably connected under the sticker. If the sticker comes off, the crack will be joined there, and probably this is not going to end well. There is acid in the AGM, it's just contained in the Glass Matt. Nonetheless, the warranty should cover it, or you can charge back up to six months on your CC if they want to be uncooperative.

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
Did you gorilla-torque the battery hold-down?

I have the same battery I just installed a few weeks ago, I'll have to keep an eye on it.

Explorer
I think it is cosmetic, I believe that plastic is just a cover to the battery case. Its there so the handle can be recessed.

slamunion

I've had oddessy for 4 years now with now cracking issues. They suspposed to be basically the same as the diehard plats. Cracking around the posts will cause the battery acid the vent and leak out the cracks cause corrosion in the area. Yes it's a problem make them replace it, it shouldnt have failed even with a over tightened hold own cause the hold down isn't close enough to the terminal. Yes they are agm but they still contain acid.

Last edited:

vladig

Observer
I just noticed the same issue in a series 31 platinum as well, even tho the battery has only been installed in an ArkPak and has not been taken outside of the house i have a crack between the two negative posts. Will see what my Sears store does.

BT100

platimum replaced

Hi all
I have been lurking here for a few years, great forum by the way! A week and a half ago I got my group 31 platinum replaced(3.5 yrs old) because the diehard platinum charger I bought cooked it to the toon of 15.2 volts and the pressure valve opening. Took the charger back to sears for a refund and got a new platinum. Manager made it clear that there would be no warranty on the replacement battery (platinum #2) ok. Last night I was checking the open circuit voltage after charging on my new renogy 100watt folding panel. I noticed 2 small cracks emanating from the negative post. ******t.. Did some internet research and found 3 other cases of cracking platinum cases. This one on this thread, one in T4R forum, and one on a JK forum. Printed these up, grabbed my video camera and headed to the local sears ready for battle. Had the manager look at the cracks and he said,"hey, weren't you in here for a replacement because one of our chrgers cooked your platinum?" I said, "yea that was me, that makes this cracked one 11 days old". He thought for a minute and said ok we will replace it. I took out the old one(#2) and put in #3. No Battle necessary!! I was extra careful to just barely snug up the post clamps, Don't know if clamp tightness has anything to do with cracking but we will eliminate that possibility. So I am on platinum #3 in 3.5 yrs. Will not be going with a diehard when this one dies, There has to be something better out there. Thumbs up to sears in Mesa AZ for backing up there product, but thumbs down to diehard for inadequate case strength.
BTW : 96 T100 4x4 4inch SL, ball joint spacers,low profile bump stops, 4.56 R&P, onboard air w/tank and TJM air locker
You all have a good one
BT100

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles