1995 Mitsubishi Montero SR, Overland Ready. DFW, Texas

i-5wbWtbg-X3.jpg

Up for sale is my 1995 Mitsubishi Montero in the SR Trim level. I have outfitted this truck for overland travel and it has served its purpose well. Current mileage is approximately 137k. We purchased it with 117k nearly 4 years ago, the truck has been used almost exclusively as a trip vehicle. It pains me to see it go, but it is about time to upgrade- (Double cab Tundra).

So here are some specs and inclusions of the sale.

• 1995 Montero SR, this means FACTORY locking rear differential!
  • Old Man Emu Heavy rear springs (still have stock springs).
  • Iron Man front torsion bars (still have stock torsion bars).
  • KYB Monomax shocks. Great value shock which I argue to be on par with Old Man Emu shocks.
  • ARB Front bumper, originally for a Jeep XJ. New mounts fabricated and bolted to frame. Stout enough.
  • Warn 9000lb winch included, needs new solenoid pack.
  • Cargo management system and cargo divider.
  • Front Smittybilt GEAR tactical seat covers (driver's seat leather has typical wear for this age).
  • Safari snorkel.
  • Current tires/wheels- 255 85 R16 BFG KM2 on steel Tacoma wheels. Plus, you get the 33x12.50 15 Duratracs and black steel wheels shown in the pics, however one of the four tires was punctured in the sidewall. The spare I used was a 33x10.50x15 KM1. And, you get the stock Montero wheels.
  • Piaa dual driving and fog lights.
  • Locking front hubs

Recent Service:
  • Newer battery.
  • New starter last summer, less than 1500 miles.
  • Refreshed the engine at 122k. New head gasket, timing belt, tensioner pullies, belts, upgraded butterfly valve, valve stem seals, etc. Pulled engine to do this work.
  • New ignition coils. (Mitsubishi 3 diamond)
The following I did in June 2012 pre- 2600 mile trip:
  • Transmission flushed with filter change.
  • Diffs and transfer cases received new lube.
  • Front pinion seal replaced.
  • Rear axle seal on driver's side.
  • All new steering components, tie rod ends, ball joints, etc All MOOG brand. Alignment completed after.
  • New CV Axles.
  • New brakes pads on all 4 corners. New discs on front. Raybestos parts. Flushed brake fluid.
  • Replaced air compressor for rear diff lock actuator.
  • Replaced MAF sensor.
  • Replaced Fuel Injectors (7/12/14)

The bad:
  • Recent hail damage
  • Usual trail bruises
  • I painted the fender flares and plastic trim with Krylon Fusion paint for plastic- some of it has been rock chipped.
  • It looses its nuts on occasion.:ylsmoke: The exhaust manifold to exhaust pipe flange likes to work loose every couple thousand miles. I've tried multiple methods to secure it to no avail.
  • Airbag fault light is on. Has been on for about 3k miles now... haven't sourced new module.
  • Interior has usual stains and wear for age.

Feel free to sift through my by build thread in my signature.

Asking $5000 or best offer. Motivated to sell. Located in Denton, Texas.
Please, if you are interested in buying the truck, do not ask "what is the lowest you will take for it?" Count your pennies and make an offer, I will either accept or counter.

ScottBrownAdventurer at gmail , nine four zero 594 eight two four eight

_DSC3015-X2.jpg

_DSC7367-X3.jpg

How it currently sits:
10157357_10100229323047191_776422024350839041_n.jpg

As a bonus I will throw in three issues of the OutdoorX4 magazines that the truck was featured in:
1743464_10100204187089851_1378841047_n.jpg

Last edited:

drfreema

AEV JK350
Interior pics and storage system pics? Undercarriage pics? Pics of hail damage? Thanks.

Last edited:

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Wow Scott. This comes as a surprise, sorta. I thought this meant you were moving out of the country, I didn't see the Tundra thing coming!

Good luck with the sale!

Im still detailing the truck, so before I post all the pics of the interior I'll share this one of the cargo area. The area on the left is a fridge slide out and on the right is a storage area with a lid on top. Our dog would ride atop that.

9e6adugu.jpg

Nathan, we are crammed in the Monty and I need a work truck that can occasionally pull a trailer.

Considering we had up to baseball sized hail, the truck survived well enough....

a2yna7ud.jpg

The kahki paint hides it well enough... except where the hail made little explosion marks. Those could be taken out.
yjapupum.jpg

Superu

Explorer
Couple of questions

Hi Scott,

Love, love, love these Monteros! Have owned 3 of them over the years and enjoyed them thoroughly.

• Is the back seat (second row) still in it and did it ever have the mounting for the 3rd row drop down seats?
  • any rust on body panels or underside?
  • does it have heated seats and if so, do they still work? ( gets cold up here in Vermont )
  • other than the items you mentioned that are in the process of being fixed, are there any other issues you foresee in the near future? ( I know it's a 20 year old vehicle but like to ask about anything close on the horizon. )

Howdy Superu,

I just finished the window regulator for the drivers door. Still trying to decide if/when I will be able to do the injectors.

Overall, ive built and maintained the truck to go wherever we point it, whenever we wanted to go. I've also learned enough about the truck to be in tune with it, so I'm confident enough to say that after the injectors are replaced there shouldn't be any immediate issues. However as you stated it is a 20 year old vehicle, so cannot and will not make any guarantees. And because of that, I'd highly recommend anyone Interested to either look at the truck in person, or ask pointed questions and ask for specific photos.

Now for your other questions. Yes it has second row and the third row is in the attic. The only rust on body panels are at a couple deeper scratches (will post pics). There Is surface rust that formed after being salt blasted on the Bonneville Salt Flats. It began forming before I had the chance to remove the salt. No structural rust issues. Nothing a bit elbow grease and rattle can couldn't fix.

No heated seats.

Thanks

Scott

It has a healthy layer of dirt on the chassis and underside of the truck.

The surface rust you see is very minor and could easily be brushed off and spray painted. This formed almost immediately after we went to the Bonneville Salt Flats, and wasn't present before. Exhaust has baked on red clay, a present from Louisiana.
a5a6yte6.jpg
u4unujan.jpg
y9e4uvud.jpg
5y2utamu.jpg

Will snap some pics of the engine when I get home.

Last edited:
Bump.

Updated the original post to reflect the window regulator has been replaced and that I've finally gotten around to ordering the fuel injectors. If they come in this week, I'll change them this coming weekend.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz