Roof campers? Please explain

kingg5

Adventurer
Don't think anybody mentioned large sized dogs. I have an off road trailer and will upgrade with a RTT but I'm procrastinating. I take my lab with me on most camping trips. I currently use an OZ RV2 tent. Stores in rack on my trailer and is very fast to setup as we know. The rainfly acts as a shade for me here in TX too when I leave as a basecamp. Not sure if RTT has a rainfly or how hard to setup one?
Does anyone else travel with larger dogs and a RTT and try and get dog in tent? Mine is spoiled and would be whining all night if i left out or in my jeep ;)

i take a full size boxer with me all the time...she sleeps at the foot of the bed wrapped in a blanket...haha.

1453263_10202926331945265_518055406_n.jpg

kingg5

Adventurer
Some have mentioned the ease of putting up/taking down in the rain. Do RTT's get smelly if put away wet? I can only imagine folding up a wet tent and having it cook all day on the roof.

i live in vancouver bc...wet coast of canada. i never have a problem with mold or mildew or smells from a weekend of camping in the rain. it comes home and its left open for a day or two to dry out. alternativly i use a large shammy to remove most water before i close it. (if conditions allow for that)

jeff parker

Observer
Hmm, Canada is a lot cooler than Texas or Central America and you are coming home to let it dry. What about on the road for months in Central America? I got the trunk carpet wet in my car in Louisiana once and the smell would knock you out for months afterward.

carbon60

Explorer
Hmm, Canada is a lot cooler than Texas or Central America and you are coming home to let it dry. What about on the road for months in Central America? I got the trunk carpet wet in my car in Louisiana once and the smell would knock you out for months afterward.

The material my CVT Mt. Baker is made does not absorb much, if any, water. An hour of non-rain is usually enough to thoroughly dry it out. If anything else is moist, like our duvet or sheets (from perspiration), I toss them loosely on top of our other gear and run the AC in the truck as we drive to suck it out.

I would start worrying about the mattress if there was a lack of "drying hours", though. I suppose you would just switch to self-inflating pads under those conditions.

A.

ellisfamilyokc

How do they handle wind? My annual overland adventure is to Padre Island National Seashore. Winds in excess of 30kts are not uncommon on tis trip. I am also concerned about being the highest point around in a thunderstorm. Thunderstorms are at least a weekly if not nightly experience here in my home state of Oklahoma.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Box Rocket

I've been wondering about the lightning risk aswell since I am in CO.....

Hmm. I've never once heard of anyone having an accident with lightning. I'm no scientist but I would assume that since the tent is mounted to the vehicle the rubber tires become an insulator the same way they do for occupants riding inside the vehicle.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Hmm. I've never once heard of anyone having an accident with lightning. I'm no scientist but I would assume that since the tent is mounted to the vehicle the rubber tires become an insulator the same way they do for occupants riding inside the vehicle.

Just for accuracy - Car tires do NOT insulate the car or occupants. Cars are typically safe from lightning strike because the metal "skin" of the car allows the current to flow around the occupants, rather than through.

http://www.snopes.com/science/tires.asp

For my own family, I would not be in any RTT in a lightning storm.

Box Rocket

I knew a scientist would show up with an accurate response, which is why I said "I'm no scientist". Either way, I've still never heard of a single incident involving lightning striking a RTT in how many decades since RTT's have been around on how many continents?

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
I am a scientist haha hence my concern about lightning. I would plan on being in the car during lightning....just always a thought I've had regarding RTT especially with my few close lightning calls and the couple of deaths at Rocky this year.

Box Rocket

I'm not suggesting that a RTT is a "safe" place to be in a thunderstorm and not trying to argue with anyone so hopefully you all take my comments with a grain of salt. I'm just saying I've never heard of any incidents with RTT and lightning. There's always a chance I suppose but the likelihood is pretty slim I would say.

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
Dying by lighting while camping.........Im all in!

I look forward to the AZ monsoon rain and lighting on the aluminum roof of my CampTeq, reminds me of Hawaii.:D

GR8ADV

Explorer
For what it is worth, wife won't ground tent camp, but loved the rtt.

One more thing not mentioned that I noticed is how clean they are. We would change in the Annex and the 'bedroom' was always remarkably clean unlike normal tent camping. Really they are quite remarkable compared to a ground tent for all of the reasons stated so far.

SIZZLE

Pro-party
Thanks for all the responses. I've come a little bit closer to the RTT side, but still down on the weight, CG and cost.

The best option I've found is to sleep inside a vehicle, but that ain't happening anymore with a wife two kids and a dog. For now I'm sticking with the insta-tent. I'm totally jealous when I see someone roll up with a bead already made.

One question. I see a few cite space savings as a benefit. But can't you just load tent and other camping gear on your roof just as easily and likely with less weight? Doesn't seem to me like that's any advantage.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior