Roof campers? Please explain

Box Rocket

if you have a gutter mounted roofrack, you can load a lot more than 150 lbs on the roof. Also, using some quality load bars that incorporate factory roof rails will increase the roof capacity beyond 150 lbs.

carbon60

Explorer
never understood this as well

most vehicles roofs only support 150lbs

2 adults, the rack, tent etc are well over this limit

The listed load limit is for dynamic weight. I.e. You can't have over 150 lbs up there while driving down the highway, since it increases your COG too much. Not to mention the forces on the sheet metal.

But, when you're stationary, the sky is the limit for weight. Think about it: a truck general can flip over and bear the entire weight in the roof without it collapsing.

A.

stingray1300

Explorer
never understood this as well

most vehicles roofs only support 150lbs

2 adults, the rack, tent etc are well over this limit

As carbon mentioned, the load ratings are for DYNAMIC load - the vibration and wiggling that happens when rolling down the road, including wind resistance. STATIC load is the rating you apply to total weight of gear and people sleeping in a RTT.
E.g., I mounted my Tepui Gran Sabana (a BIG tent - Cal. King sized) on my Snug Top camper shell. Before I did, I called Snug Top and based on the serial number of my shell, it has a DYNAMIC load rating of 220#. The Thule rail/rack system I installed is rated for 150# - per cross bar (x2 = 300#). My Tepui weighs in at 150#. The RTT is rated at 750# total. My wife and I combined are 365# + 150# for the tent, plus extra bedding, and we are well under of the STATIC load rating of the combination.
You'll have to find out what YOUR roof is rated for (no guessing allowed:)
Clear as mud? :)

fireball

Explorer
For those of us on the east coast tight trails and lots of trees sticking rtt up there is going to make off roading a bit trickier. I've got a 100-series land cruiser which is big enough to begin with much less adding the rtt.

We're saving up for a teardrop as it's the best solution for our situation. As they say, YMMV!

Paddy

Adventurer
Yep, out here in Oregon the trials range from tight to downright burrow and the rtt would get cringe worthy abuse at all times IMO. Good info here though, and lots of thoughts to ponder.

java

Expedition Leader
Yep, out here in Oregon the trials range from tight to downright burrow and the rtt would get cringe worthy abuse at all times IMO. Good info here though, and lots of thoughts to ponder.

They are really pretty tough. Im in WA, we have the same trails, I did wear through one cover in a few years, it was at the corners of the ladder, hard point where things drag across. Wasn't enough to let water in as far as I could tell, but I could see tiny holes in direct sunlight. New cover $75. Definitely need to watch for the big branches though, I thought I poked mine a couple weeks ago, but it came though unscathed. This is a FS road....
14825095044_12e2fbd1a2_c.jpg

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: I've considered an RTT for years, but-

Since I enjoy "Base" camping and using my jeep to explore/boat/fish-I can't justify one-

I use almost the same thing on my trailer (AirTenT) when we need to setup quick-

I have a 10'x10 "Hatch tent for specific spots and a larger "AirTent" for grandkids/bears/Rangers-

The AirTents take 60 sec to air up, then another 5 minutes to stake--if windy-

SUNP0250.jpg

SUNP0251.jpg

Sawmillllakejune12020.jpg

My jeep will support an RTT, I just haven't been able to justify one "YET"-it's not outta the question though--Tepui ?

:costumed-smiley-007:wings: JIMBO

Patrollife

Explorer
RTT all the way for me. The pros outweigh the cons. Slept through some hellish wind last night, no issues. Packs up super quick.

I have the Tepui Kukenam. Love it. Only regret is not purchasing the Sky version.

joeyabisa

Adventurer
My RTT (Tepui Autana Sky) weighs about 130lbs and 150lbs with the annex but I keep the annex stored in the truck bed. It is about 8 feet off the ground and the top of it at 9ft with my lift kit and roof rack setup. I've done 70 mph on a narrow two lane road for hundreds of miles with huge tractor trailers coming at me probably going the same speed or faster within several feet- with the added height of the RTT I didn't have a problem with the violent blast of wind that hits you when a truck speeds past heading the other way. I never felt like I was being blasted off to the side. I also didn't feel tippy @ 55mph when coming around a bend and an LRII was clearly half way in my lane, coming at me (looking like it was going to tip), I had to swerve very quickly and still make it around the bend without hitting the guard rail and going off the cliff. In the plains there would be an occasional rogue blast of wind that would hit me laterally and I would feel it but never felt I wasn't in control. Unless your rig is narrow and your RTT is mounted as high as mine I don't think you have much to worry about.
It is a little more difficult to setup considering how high it is. I can't just reach up and unzip the cover, etc. I carry a spare ladder to be able to reach it and my roof rack but after setting it up a few times it didn't bother me anymore. I definitely feel a lot safer up there, especially with my 4 year old son. When I was in Baja there were 4 coyotes that circled a camp very close to ours and I was glad we were up in the RTT. It catches what little breeze there is with the 4 windows on all four sides. It is fine in 30mph winds. I don't know how it would be in 60mph winds or more. Someone chime in if their RTT has been in those conditions and report back please- would love to know how theirs held up. I think what I'm going do is pull it off the truck and mount it to my M101a2 trailer and use that as my base camp and that way I can have my truck free to roam.
P1000216.jpg
P1000235.jpg

Last edited:

joeyabisa

Adventurer
:

My jeep will support an RTT, I just haven't been able to justify one "YET"-it's not outta the question though--Tepui ?

If you go with a Tepui, get a sky version (skylights). You won't regret it.

joeyabisa

Adventurer
RTT all the way for me. The pros outweigh the cons. Slept through some hellish wind last night, no issues. Packs up super quick.

I have the Tepui Kukenam. Love it. Only regret is not purchasing the Sky version.

Grab an old tent and cut out the section with the no-see-um and window flaps from it and sew them on to your ceiling. That's basically what the sky has. Few hours of work for a lot of joy. :)

Last edited:

Box Rocket

as far as how the tents do in the wind, I have shared this elsewhere but I'll share it here too. I can only speak for the Tepui tents but I've had my own in winds that had 60mph gusts and it was solid as a rock. Canvas was flapping like crazy, but that's to be expected. The rest of the tent was just fine. Check out this video of the Tepui guys on their Death Valley Adventure when they were caught in a sandstorm with winds that hit 100mph.
http://youtu.be/RGTe-zGjdJo

Also in regards to sway and being top heavy with these tents, it will depend a lot on you vehicle setup, but for most people with roof mounted tents it won't cause too much issue. But common sense and driving smart is key. Don't throw your truck into a 90* corner at 60mph and you'll avoid most issues with the higher center of gravity. On my personal truck I have a tent mounted over the bed of my truck and the top of the tent is a few inches higher than the roof of the cab. I can still comfortably "bomb" down desert roads at 70mph or more. Here's another little video that is of my trailer that carries my second tent. Hit some pretty good speeds and everything stayed really planted and controlled. But much of that is due to vehicle setup like I said before.
http://youtu.be/N7F5GCh2dwg

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: Now that's a well suspended trailer Adam-good job-

I'll have to experiment with my Tentrax when I start the tent move from my Jeep-

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior