Roof campers? Please explain

carbon60

Explorer
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the mpg penalty...

Good point. There should be a difference between a hard shell and safari-style tent, I would think.

And, depending on your rig, you might not see a difference. I don't in my almost 6800 lb 80-series. :)

A.

libarata

Expedition Leader
Unless you plan on slalom driving at highway speeds, or crawling in some disgusting conditions, is CG really a massive concern?

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Unless you plan on slalom driving at highway speeds, or crawling in some disgusting conditions, is CG really a massive concern?

Yes, overall I would say it is a concern. I think the addition or lack of a RTT is only ONE factor in this, but it is something to consider. On the one hand, adding a relatively light RTT can sort of "help" CG by taking up your roof real estate and keep you from loading it up with heavier stuff. I think there's a certain ExPo expectation of a swath of jerry cans and Zarges cases on a roof rack. That's a bad practice, I'd say.

On the other, I think it's wise to consider how you load the vehicle even if you never put stuff on the roof. If you end up high-loading the interior of the vehicle for whatever reason, then the RTT may be the bridge too far.

AxleIke

Adventurer
I have to say, while I didn't have a RTT, I just did a trip down to climb some mountains in southern CO, and I took some extra people, so I had to borrow one of those Yakima Space Cadet boxes. Its not as wide as a RTT, but its about as tall as the one's I've seen (this is the short, fat stubby version). I saw maybe 1 mpg loss from the drag, but really I was about where I expected. I don't think the MPG loss is nearly as big for these as it is for say, tires, lift, bumpers, winch, yada yada yada. A nice wind deflector would maybe be a good idea, but more for bugs than for MPG.

I am REALLY jonsing for one of these. And an exchanger shower. After 3 days of hiking, my legs were sticking together in my bag, and being on a slant really messed with my equilibrium, and I did not sleep well. RTT and a shower. Next on my list!

Tat2matt

Lightning and storms. I have had my ARB RTT in straight line winds in Arkansas or Southern Missouri I can't remember which and felt extremely safe. We got over 4 inches of rain in 2 hours and stayed not only dry but had a great time. We have also woken up in a foot of snow several times both in our land cruiser and with the RTT on our outback. I for one won't ground tent again the RTT is camping taken to the next level.[/ATTACH]DSCN0264.jpgIMG_1034.jpg

libarata

Expedition Leader
Yes, overall I would say it is a concern. I think the addition or lack of a RTT is only ONE factor in this, but it is something to consider. On the one hand, adding a relatively light RTT can sort of "help" CG by taking up your roof real estate and keep you from loading it up with heavier stuff. I think there's a certain ExPo expectation of a swath of jerry cans and Zarges cases on a roof rack. That's a bad practice, I'd say.

On the other, I think it's wise to consider how you load the vehicle even if you never put stuff on the roof. If you end up high-loading the interior of the vehicle for whatever reason, then the RTT may be the bridge too far.

Again, unless you are going off camber, how much of a concern is it? Adding lifts will do more to change your CG than what an RTT can. Sure, it will make you take everything inside the vehicle, over stacking everything up top. But for those of us not blazing a trail through the amazons, or putting ourselves sin situations where a fly farting on your mirror would capsize you, CG is your least concern. What is for breakfast is.

carbon60

Explorer
I think the concern over CG is around emergency/evasive maneuvers at speed. Not really off-road situations.

If you have to yank the wheel over at 55 mph to avoid some idiot who is about to run the light, the weight up there may come into play.

A.

libarata

Expedition Leader
I think the concern over CG is around emergency/evasive maneuvers at speed. Not really off-road situations.

If you have to yank the wheel over at 55 mph to avoid some idiot who is about to run the light, the weight up there may come into play.

A.

Insurance. Also, who swerves? Take the moron out.

jdlobb

Adventurer
I here I thought my big steel bumper was for hitting steroid-eating super-deer, I stand corrected. It is for morons. ARB should add that to their glossy…:REOutShootinghunter

A.

there's some literature out there about how steel off-road bumpers considerably increase safety in high speed collisions because they better spread the impact across the width of the vehicle

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
Hi guys, please let me preface this as an honest question. Not "trolling". I don't understand the concept of the roof top tent. It seems to solve a problem that doesn't exist while also creating about 10 more.

Pros:
Allows more safety from animal attacks?
Allows nice big foam bed
Frees up space inside rig
Provides bird nest POV
Faster pitch/break

cons:
Expensive
Does not easily remove from truck
Involves rickety ladder that would be unpleasant both drunk and hungover
Requires truck to be on level ground
Requires breakdown to use vehicle
Limits tent placement from areas of shade/wind protection
Limits use to "vehicle designated/rv" parking in some campgrounds
Draws attention
Large dogs?

Enlighten me to the benefits of these because to me they seem like a possibly bad idea

i think all your pro's and all your con's are true.

I enjoyed our RTT years in a high-quality Maggiolina, and quite honestly I've been enjoying our recent tent camping days as well. Each has it's merits. :) Up to you to decide.

AA1PR

Disabled Explorer
never understood this as well

most vehicles roofs only support 150lbs

2 adults, the rack, tent etc are well over this limit

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior