Mattress comparison: Exped MegaMat and Synmat 12

PlacidWaters

Adventurer
Tired of the bulk and weight of your Exped MegaMat and how hard it is to get the air out and roll it up? Exped has a new mattress this year that solves all three problems: the Synmat 12.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftcPbZKf0gg

SPECS:
4.7 x 30 x 70 (That's thicker than the MegaMat)
3lbs 7oz
Insulates to -1F (R-value 5.3)
Packed size: 6 x 12

COMPARISON WITH THE MEGAMAT:
--PACKED SIZE: The Synmat 12 is about 1/3 the packed size of the MegaMat. Significant space saving.
--WEIGHT: Synmat 12 is 2lbs 3oz lighter
--COMFORT: If you rate the MegaMat a perfect 10 for comfort, the Synmat 12 would be an 8.5. The surface of the MegaMat feels both more supportive and softer due to the layer of foam. It also feels more stable---there is a slight tendency to roll and bounce around on the Synmat 12 that doesn't occur with the MegaMat. But I'm guessing that one would sleep just about as well on either mattress. The difference is more esthetic---the soft, even feel of the MegaMat surface versus the thinner, more slippery tubes of the Synmat 12. However, the Synmat 12 is considerably more comfortable than the Synmat 7 and would be the better choice for kayak and canoe camping since it's small enough for those uses.
--INFLATION: The MegaMat is self-inflating. It took me 5 minutes on the first try to inflate the Synmat 12 with the Schnozzel.
--DEFLATION: You have to wrassle with the MegMat, fold it several times to squeeze all the air out, unfold it, and then roll it up. The Synmat rolls up very easily. No inflatable Synmat fits back in its original back so get a larger stuff sack.
--USE ON 32" COT: (Camptime Roll-a-Cot wide): Both work, but the Synmat 12 fits a bit better as it's a couple of inches narrower.

PRICE: The price of both of these mattresses borders on crazy ($200 and $219), but they're worth the price if you do a lot of camping and/or have sleep problems like bad joints. There is only one reason to spend this much for the Synmat 12: for cold-weather camping. There are other similar uninsulated mattresses that do a good job for a fraction of the cost, like the cheap Intex inflatables. (In my experience an insulated mattress is needed when the temperature falls below 60F.) But you can expect an Exped to be quite a bit more durable than cheap inflatables.

BOTTOM LINE: I highly recommended the Synmat 12 for car, kayak, canoe, and motorcycle camping---any use where space is at a premium and the MegaMat is too large or heavy. Not recommended for bike touring---for that you need the smaller Synmat 7. For use with a cot the REI Campbed 3.5 is just about as comfortable, fits better, is cheaper, and has a more comfortable fabric than either of these Synmats. In a previous previous review I explained why the Campbed and the Synmats are all better than the Exped SIM Comfort.

Isn't it good to know that there are so many comfortable mattresses to choose from these days? No more sleeping out on the prairie with your bedroll.

trailsurfer

Explorer
Tired of the bulk and weight of your Exped MegaMat and how hard it is to get the air out and roll it up? Exped has a new mattress this year that solves all three problems: the Synmat 12.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftcPbZKf0gg

SPECS:
4.7 x 30 x 70 (That's thicker than the MegaMat)
3lbs 7oz
Insulates to -1F (R-value 5.3)
Packed size: 6 x 12

COMPARISON WITH THE MEGAMAT:
--PACKED SIZE: The Synmat 12 is about 1/3 the packed size of the MegaMat. Significant space saving.
--WEIGHT: Synmat 12 is 2lbs 3oz lighter
--COMFORT: If you rate the MegaMat a perfect 10 for comfort, the Synmat 12 would be an 8.5. The surface of the MegaMat feels both more supportive and softer due to the layer of foam. It also feels more stable---there is a slight tendency to roll and bounce around on the Synmat 12 that doesn't occur with the MegaMat. But I'm guessing that one would sleep just about as well on either mattress. The difference is more esthetic---the soft, even feel of the MegaMat surface versus the thinner, more slippery tubes of the Synmat 12. However, the Synmat 12 is considerably more comfortable than the Synmat 7 and would be the better choice for kayak and canoe camping since it's small enough for those uses.
--INFLATION: The MegaMat is self-inflating. It took me 5 minutes on the first try to inflate the Synmat 12 with the Schnozzel.
--DEFLATION: You have to wrassle with the MegMat, fold it several times to squeeze all the air out, unfold it, and then roll it up. The Synmat rolls up very easily. No inflatable Synmat fits back in its original back so get a larger stuff sack.
--USE ON 32" COT: (Camptime Roll-a-Cot wide): Both work, but the Synmat 12 fits a bit better as it's a couple of inches narrower.

PRICE: The price of both of these mattresses borders on crazy ($200 and $219), but they're worth the price if you do a lot of camping and/or have sleep problems like bad joints. There is only one reason to spend this much for the Synmat 12: for cold-weather camping. There are other similar uninsulated mattresses that do a good job for a fraction of the cost, like the cheap Intex inflatables. (In my experience an insulated mattress is needed when the temperature falls below 60F.) But you can expect an Exped to be quite a bit more durable than cheap inflatables.

BOTTOM LINE: I highly recommended the Synmat 12 for car, kayak, canoe, and motorcycle camping---any use where space is at a premium and the MegaMat is too large or heavy. Not recommended for bike touring---for that you need the smaller Synmat 7. For use with a cot the REI Campbed 3.5 is just about as comfortable, fits better, is cheaper, and has a more comfortable fabric than either of these Synmats. In a previous previous review I explained why the Campbed and the Synmats are all better than the Exped SIM Comfort.

Isn't it good to know that there are so many comfortable mattresses to choose from these days? No more sleeping out on the prairie with your bedroll.

Looks like a incredible mat! I have the Exped but to big for the moto. This could work.

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
"I have the Exped but to big for the moto"

agree on its packed length but once you've removed all the air you can fold it in half lengthways and roll it up, I did this and chucked it in a small North face duffle strapped to my rear seat, fitted fine.

A comfortable nights sleep was worth bringing that 100ograms extra

PlacidWaters

Adventurer
"I have the Exped but to big for the moto"

agree on its packed length but once you've removed all the air you can fold it in half lengthways and roll it up, I did this and chucked it in a small North face duffle strapped to my rear seat, fitted fine.

A comfortable nights sleep was worth bringing that 100ograms extra

Are you referring to the MegaMat? Fold it any way you like, it's still going to be two to three times larger than the Synmat 12. :)

Honu

lost on the mainland
Saw those a bit ago they look nice

When I got new pads they did not have those in the other thread gave my thoughts got a megamat and nemo Cosmo and the cascade design one ? Can't remember the name right now but there extreme

The pack size since we have four in family was huge and the nemo won out but compared to the megamat it was so close the nemo I imagine is close to this but a bit extra on the new sun at 12 would be a touch nicer :)
Bet if they had them a few years ago would be sleeping on that :)

Would love to try one of these new sun 12 for fun :)
When I was sleep testing all the mats. I had the nemo in our big Agnes bags then put it on the megamat :)
Very comfy !

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
I've really been enjoying my SynMat 7 but the exterior Schnozzel Pump of the 12 is pretty luring as my integrated pump takes a bit to fill. My travel mates have jokingly asked me if I'm CPR training as I pump and pump and pump :D. Once it is inflated, it rocks... I sleep great. I'm assuming the Schnozzel Pump would be compatible with the SynMat 7 no?

nnnnnate

Adventurer
I bought the MegaMat in March and although I don't get out as much as Kurt (does anyone?) I have absolutely loved it. I know it says it is "self inflating" but I've always pumped it up manually, perhaps I'm just not patient enough. I somehow tricked the wife into going camping this coming weekend and now am a little sad that she'll be taking the good pad. For as comfortable as it is, I could really care less about pack size. Nothing fits after I get my great dane in the back of the Jeep anyway.

PlacidWaters

Adventurer
I've really been enjoying my SynMat 7 but the exterior Schnozzel Pump of the 12 is pretty luring as my integrated pump takes a bit to fill. My travel mates have jokingly asked me if I'm CPR training as I pump and pump and pump :D. Once it is inflated, it rocks... I sleep great. I'm assuming the Schnozzel Pump would be compatible with the SynMat 7 no?

Yes, all the valves on the Expeds are the same so the Schnozzel will work on your SynMat 7. Notice in the video that the guy actually gets outside the tent to inflate the mattress. The rolled out mattress and the Schnozzel take up quite a bit of room. Exped makes more than one Schnozzel product in more than one size. For the Synmat 7 you can probably use the smaller Schnozzel.

cruiseroutfit

Yes, all the valves on the Expeds are the same so the Schnozzel will work on your SynMat 7. Notice in the video that the guy actually gets outside the tent to inflate the mattress. The rolled out mattress and the Schnozzel take up quite a bit of room. Exped makes more than one Schnozzel product in more than one size. For the Synmat 7 you can probably use the smaller Schnozzel.

Right on, appreciate the reply. I'm going to look into that before my next outing.

PlacidWaters

Adventurer
Right on, appreciate the reply. I'm going to look into that before my next outing.

I agree that the built-in pump on the Synmat 7 is a pain to use---very slow and you have to place your hands just right.

I found a way to inflate it with a cheap plastic pump. I just modified one of the nozzles on the pump to fit the deflate valve on the mattress. That involved cutting a piece out of the mattress valve but it was worth it---inflates in about 20 seconds in a standing position.

cruiseroutfit

I agree that the built-in pump on the Synmat 7 is a pain to use---very slow and you have to place your hands just right.

I found a way to inflate it with a cheap plastic pump. I just modified one of the nozzles on the pump to fit the deflate valve on the mattress. That involved cutting a piece out of the mattress valve but it was worth it---inflates in about 20 seconds in a standing position.

The Schnozzel is appealing as it looks to pack very small. The majority of my Synmat uses have been outside the US and thus I'm flying with them and usually right on the rev limit for weight when flying. A pump might be a bit cumbersome with my setup but the Schnozzel may be ideal.

PlacidWaters

Adventurer
Yes, the Schnozzel takes up virtually no room in your gear. It's weird and awkward, but it works. In the video it takes the guy a minute and a half to inflate the very large Synmat 12 with the Schnozzel. I've counted and it takes me 150 pumps to fill the Synmat 7 with the built-in pump. That's excessive, and the position is uncomfortable.

PlacidWaters

Adventurer
Update

I'm updating my review after using the Synmat 12 for 7 months for car camping, kayak camping, and at home. I just spent two weeks sleeping on it at home with the Camptime Roll-a-Cot (34" wide). I slept as well as in my regular bed. Last night to compare I tried the Megamat on the cot.

I'm really very happy with the Synmat 12 and highly recommend it. It fits much better on this specific cot. It has been very durable. Considering the much smaller size and weight and greater ease of repacking, I do prefer the Synmat 12. No regrets about the price---it's been worth it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior