4x4 Van Build: 1997 Airstream B190

Jb1rd

Explorer
So sweet!!

4 days is a pretty epic turn around!! Can't wait for the end of Aug to get here so I can get started on mine. Thankfully the house closing seems to be moving along as planned. :sombrero:

Jb1rd

Explorer
pretty much exactly what you did, lift, 4x4 bumpers, maybe solar, need/want a roof rack for SUP's, Sienna seats to replace the Captains chairs, and reupholster the couch. I already deleted the shower/tub and have a temp semi outside rigged up to see if I want to install one permanently.

hurstjd

Adventurer
Where do you get the Sienna seats? If possible, I would like to get the passenger seat that has the built-in recliner.

Jb1rd

Explorer
Craigslist and MG on this forum makes a mounting bracket specific for the E series, maybe he can chime in on another avenue for purchase of the actual seats. I do a searchtempest a couple times a week looking for various items. Can't wait to see more pics of your rig, do you like the advanced set up? Is it similar to the Ujoint kit, I am not familiar with it at all? What have you noticed since acquiring the rig, any improvements that arr absolutely pressing?

Where do you get the Sienna seats? If possible, I would like to get the passenger seat that has the built-in recliner.

mgmetalworks

Explorer
I've found all of the Sienna recliners for my projects on Ebay. Warehouse Salvage used to have a ton of them but they seem to be cleaned out now. There's a seller from AZ that I've used recently and I know of at least 3 others who have gotten seats from him as well. You can always check local wrecking yards too. car-part.com is a good place to find not only the parts but also a list of salvage yards that you didn't even know existed in your area.

hurstjd

Adventurer
Ok. I've decided that part of sharing my build is to share the costs of the build as well.

I want people to see that going this route is not quite as expensive as you may think. I'm hoping to keep my total build under $40,000. You don't really have to go the

SportsMobile route to get something that is comparable. I would even argue that since mine is an AirStream I actually have a better interior and probably better

insulation than a SportsMobile.

Here is the current run-down:

Cost of 1997 B190 Airstream E350 van (56,000 miles) - $16,500
Four wheel drive conversion - $10,700
Aluminess Front Bumper - $2,150
Warn M9500 Winch - $1,300
Rear Stabilizer - $275
Rancho RS9000XL Shocks (Rear) - $220
PIAA 520 driving lights - $270
New cushion-step linoleum for floor - $130

Current total: $31,545

The 4-wheel drive conversion consists of:

4 inch lift
Dana Spicer Front Drive Axle
NV 271 two speed transfer case (with hi/lo range)
Manual locking hubs (Warn)
1350 Spicer Drive Lines
Front steering stabilizer
Rancho RS9000XL shocks (Front)
New leaf springs (front)
1 additional leaf spring each side (rear)

Future improvements:

I am currently replacing the carpet with linoleum. I will send pictures when that project is finished.
Solar panel upgrade
Car stereo upgrade
Multi-camera system
Toyota Sienna front seats

Stroverlander

Adventurer
Looking good and I added the B190 to my list of potential future vehicles. Thanks for sharing the costs too, that is always helpful!

Jb1rd

Explorer
Thanks for sharing your build cost it helps a lot to see it in real life application and not just a theoretical number being tossed about! Interested in the flooring, the PO of my 190 had already pulled the carpet and replaced with peel and stick vinyl tiles, not great but I am sure waaaaaaay better than ratty stinky old carpet:sombrero:

Presto88

Adventurer
Hey Hurstjd, how 'bout a few more pics of the exterior of that van? That one exterior shot that you posted really doesn't let us see what it looks like now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior