4x4 Van Build: 1997 Airstream B190

hurstjd

Adventurer
Funny you should ask. I was planning on taking a bunch more photos this weekend. I will also take some close-ups of the new suspension.

medicfernando

Adventurer
Hey Fernando!

Thanks for the message. I agree 4 days is fast. Randy and I spoke about the short time frame. So they started the build early. They built the axle in advance and did some other preparation. I dropped it off at 8 a.m. this morning and they were taking it inside to start working on it immediately. So, hopefully all will be ready by Thursday afternoon as I have to start driving back to Missouri on Friday. Thanks for the offer of off-roading but unfortunately I'm on a tight schedule.
No worries. Super cool van! Safe travels.

hurstjd

Adventurer
OK. Here are some more photos. I tried to take some close-ups of the suspension work that Advanced did. Not sure if they turned out well enough for you see.
IMG_0607.jpgIMG_0608.jpgIMG_0609.jpgIMG_0610.jpgIMG_0611.jpgIMG_0612.jpgIMG_0615.jpgIMG_0617.jpgIMG_0619.jpgIMG_0614.jpg

hurstjd

Adventurer
Sorry for the sideways photos. I didn't know how to fix this.

This past weekend, I also worked on the flooring.

First, I removed all the old carpeting from the front seats to the back.

IMG_0587.jpgIMG_0593.jpgIMG_0594.jpg

Next, I made a template out of construction paper.

IMG_0595.jpgIMG_0596.jpg

After removing the flooring, there was about a 1/2 inch of foam. I wanted to leave this for insulation and sound dampening. However, it was too cushy for the linoleum. So, I put down a very thin layer of plywood.

IMG_0600.jpgIMG_0602.jpg

Lastly, I put in the linoleum. It is just a floating floor. The door threshold and the carpet threshold keep it in place.

IMG_0603.jpgIMG_0604.jpgIMG_0605.jpg

sambot

Observer
Water and Lino tiles don't mix

I put down similar cork backed lino tiles in my van. I had a slight leak in my water pump and several tiles curled up. Just be careful.

lndhark

Adventurer
Looks great! How much up-travel do you have in the front suspension between the bump-stops and the frame rail?

hurstjd

Adventurer
The suspension is way better! It drives almost like a normal vehicle. :) There is still some body roll when I make turns. I'm going to adjust the Rancho shocks to a higher setting to see if that makes any difference. The settings go from 0-9 with 9 being the tightest. Advanced set them to 5. I think I'm going to go all the way to 9 and then back them off to what feels the most comfortable.

Mwilliamshs

Explorer
Looks great! How much up-travel do you have in the front suspension between the bump-stops and the frame rail?

The bump stops are bolted TO the frame rail. I think what you mean is what I've asked below...

Sweet looking van! We all know these vans have limited wheel travel (to the bump stops - not necessarily articulation) but I'm curious about yours in particular because I like that low lift height and realistic tire size. How much room do you have at normal ride height between the bump stops and whatever they contact? (looks like top of the spring pack) If you shortened your bump stops what would hit first? I'm guessing the front differential and engine oil pan would make contact?

Last edited:

spencyg

This Space For Rent
His crossmember looks more "chopped" than a standard pathfinder and thus it appears from the pics at least 2.5-3" of up travel from static position. Mine is maybe 1.5"....

And what is this talk of "realistic tire size" ?

:)

Very nice rig. I dig the interior

SG

Mwilliamshs

Explorer
I know what you mean by "realistic tire size" there, spencyg but I have to use 3 parking garages every day. I think 4" of lift and 33" tires would just about be my max. I have a Sportsmobile PH which adds maybe only 4" or so in the collapsed position so I'm shorter than you bubbletop boys but still have to keep it in mind! LOL

hurstjd

Adventurer
Hey guys. I won't see the rig until this weekend. How do I measure this for you? I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to suspensions.

Mwilliamshs

Explorer

The yellowish rubbery thing is your bumpstop. It prevents the suspension from compressing too much and making things ********** into one another. Measure from the very bottom of "A" downward to whatever it touches. Most likely the square with 4 nuts on it that attach the 2 u-bolts that go around the axle "B". Be sure and measure down in the center of the plate, where the bump stop actually touches, not just the top edge of the plate. I tried drawing in some lines and letters to help. It was a quick'n'dirty job so don't judge lol

Last edited:

Mwilliamshs

Explorer
Man, that's not much! Looks like an inch from rubber to u-bolt plate (which is what I think you meant by frame). If that bumpstop compressed 2 to 1 you're still under 3" of bump travel...ouch.

I'm not disrespecting you or your rig by the way. It's still got a transfer case, 2 driven wheels and a driveshaft over mine.

Maybe the perfect candidate for testing hydraulic bumpstops or air-bumps?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94