4x4 Van Build: 1997 Airstream B190

BigDan

Observer
could you measure front leaf springs please ?..... you should have around 46" ...

by the way those bumpstops are of progressive compression ......this is why you wont "feel" them ......

hurstjd

Adventurer
I can do that measurement for you. How do you want me to measure? From point-to-point including the arc or just straight across?

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
Some beter springs that are made for the weight of that rig will make the handling much better. I would consider a better sway bar too. The B190 we did drives great and you can't even tell there's a massive top up there!

hurstjd

Adventurer
Hey Chris,

When Advanced 4x4 did the upgrade they put all new leaf springs up front and added an additional leaf spring in the back. We did put on a heavy-duty sway bar on the front and added one to the back as well. While the ride greatly improved over stock, I still am not happy with the sway when making turns or going over bumps. I'm hoping that the active suspension does the trick. I just received it in the mail. Just need to put it on now.

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
Yes they look like new springs but they're stock F series springs, not set up for the weight of that van. Hope the new addition helps but weighing it and having proper springs made is the best way to go.

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
In the suspension photo you posted there appears to be some stickers on the sway bar, are they still there?

hurstjd

Adventurer
Hey Chris,

Thanks for the info on the springs. I'll check on the stickers on the sway bars and see if they are still there.

hurstjd

Adventurer
We finally came up with a name for the van. We are going to call it "Ithaka" after the poem by C.P. Cavafy. It encapsulates how my wife and I feel toward traveling and adventure.

Ithaka - C.P. Cavafy

As you set out for Ithaka
hope the voyage is a long one,
full of adventure, full of discovery.
Laistrygonians and Cyclops,
angry Poseidon—don't be afraid of them:
you'll never find things like that on your way
as long as you keep your thoughts raised high,
as long as a rare excitement
stirs your spirit and your body.
Laistrygonians and Cyclops,
wild Poseidon—you won't encounter them
unless you bring them along inside your soul,
unless your soul sets them up in front of you.

Hope the voyage is a long one.
May there be many a summer morning when,
with what pleasure, what joy,
you come into harbors seen for the first time;
may you stop at Phoenician trading stations
to buy fine things,
mother of pearl and coral, amber and ebony,
sensual perfume of every kind—
as many sensual perfumes as you can;
and may you visit many Egyptian cities
to gather stores of knowledge from their scholars.

Keep Ithaka always in your mind.
Arriving there is what you are destined for.
But do not hurry the journey at all.
Better if it lasts for years,
so you are old by the time you reach the island,
wealthy with all you have gained on the way,
not expecting Ithaka to make you rich.

Ithaka gave you the marvelous journey.
Without her you would not have set out.
She has nothing left to give you now.

And if you find her poor, Ithaka won't have fooled you.
Wise as you will have become, so full of experience,
you will have understood by then what these Ithakas mean.

QCAuto

Observer
With the spring so far out front looks like 99 up spring for f series, you could add a leaf, I know the trucks do it for added weight of winch and bumper and as a leveler, and might even lift slightly so once the fronts settle it will help from hitting bumpstops prematurely. most vans have a 51" overall length which is same length as the 80-97 fseries leafs, I love your B190, very clean

hurstjd

Adventurer
Thanks for the compliments QCAuto. I'll keep your advice to hand about the possibility of adding another leaf.

QCAuto

Observer
I like the old king pin axles, just from the forum the standard is the 99up for spring perch width, abs, and sometimes iirc the calipers are reuseable

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94