diesel Cherokee unlikely. What about Wrangler?

haven

Expedition Leader
http://www.trucktrend.com/features/...kee_diesel_until_grand_cherokee_demand_rises/

In an recent new conference, Jeep CEO Mike Manley said that there would be no diesel engine option for the new Cherokee until he sees more demand for the diesel Grand Cherokee. About 8 percent of GC customers choose the 3.0L V6, according to Manley.

Meanwhile, Cherokees with diesel engines are available in Europe. The Cherokee is fitted with a 2.0L four cylinder diesel that produces 258 ft lb of torque, and a nine speed automatic. That's a little more torque than produced by the 3.2L V6 gas engine used in the Cherokee in USA.

What does this say about plans to offer a diesel in the Wrangler? Should Jeep offer a $45,000 Wrangler Unlimited "Kublai Khan" edition with V6 diesel engine? Or would they be better advised to make the four cylinder diesel available as a $2500 option in the stripper Wrangler Sport?

LukesPa

Observer
What's the true market?

haven; What does this say about plans to offer a diesel in the Wrangler? Should Jeep offer a $45 said:
I'm sure it will come down to what will sell. Seems like the market interest has swung more towards expedition type builds on new JKs. Sure there are still folks who buy a new Jeep and set to making a rock crawler out of it, but I'd guess that's a minority of buyers. Provided the 4 cylinder diesel has the power to perform well on and off road, my guess is that the 4 cylinder with better fuel economy and range may be ideal for overland or expedition type use, even just family road trips.

We Americans are not a very diesel savvy bunch though and we may be hard to convince that a 4 cylinder will have the power we crave. I haven't seen the horse power or torque ratings for the four cylinder diesel. I see the current six producing 240 HP and 420 ft. Lbs of torque, my guess is the 4 cyl. will appear too anemic on paper for Jeep to try selling that in the US, even though it may actually perform fine.

SSF556

SE Expedition Society
I'm sure it will come down to what will sell. Seems like the market interest has swung more towards expedition type builds on new JKs. Sure there are still folks who buy a new Jeep and set to making a rock crawler out of it, but I'd guess that's a minority of buyers. Provided the 4 cylinder diesel has the power to perform well on and off road, my guess is that the 4 cylinder with better fuel economy and range may be ideal for overland or expedition type use, even just family road trips.

We Americans are not a very diesel savvy bunch though and we may be hard to convince that a 4 cylinder will have the power we crave. I haven't seen the horse power or torque ratings for the four cylinder diesel. I see the current six producing 240 HP and 420 ft. Lbs of torque, my guess is the 4 cyl. will appear too anemic on paper for Jeep to try selling that in the US, even though it may actually perform fine.

Mercedes has put a 4 cylinder diesel in the E class...I would think that a buyer of an E class diesel is probably one of the more informed buyer and if Mercedes thinks it can persuade that buyer to go 4 cylinder, Jeep should not have any issues pushing a 4 cylinder JK/U

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: Based on the initial overcost of 2500 to 5,000 bucks in a JK/JKU to get a diesel engine vs gas--

-Whats the incentive, knowing the diesel cost is from 10 to 25 cents more per gallon-??

The 3.8Lv6/3.6Lv6 provide enough HP/Torque/mileage to accomodate the LEGAL towing weights for the JK/JKU--Wrangler

Whats the incentive-??

Higher emmission costs/maintenance costs/SMOG requirements-

Whats the incentive ??

:costumed-smiley-007:wings: JIMBO

WagoneerSX4

Adventurer
Why the hell would he relate the diesel demand in the GC to the Cherokee or especially the wrangler?! Those two would yield a much higher demand for a Diesel engine than the GC. Let's face it, the GC is in the entry level luxury SUV market. Not exactly a market where the benefits of a diesel are sought after.

The logic that automotive manufacturers always boggles my mind.

drcoopster

Adventurer
Unless you're talking about full-size pickups (or bigger) towing heavy loads, it's essentially impossible to justify a diesel based on fuel savings alone. Same deal with VW, Mercedes, etc.

But there's more to it than that. I bought a diesel WK2 because of the range more than anything else. Yeah, it'll take forever for the fuel economy to make a dent in the upcharge over the gas V6, but it goes twice as far as my LR3 (with the 4.4L V8) on the same quantity of fuel. And it's way zippier than I expected, really quite fun to drive. If they had offered any diesel in the JKU (I4 or V6), I would have bought that instead.

DSC02259.JPG

I realize that I'm in the minority, and that's OK with me.

RoyJ

Adventurer
Not sure if I WANT a modern EPA diesel in a Wrangler. Can you imagine how fast your DPF might plug up at extended idle on a slow trail?

And since this is Expedition forum, what about finding ultra low sulfur diesel outside of US/Canada?

Omar Brannstrom

Adventurer
Hi from Sweden Europe

You want what You can not have:)

I drove a 2013 Rubicon Unlimited diesel only on a parking lot, lot of sound, slow, boring and not for me. I dont tow. I had a 2012 2 door Sahara Pentastar, went for a 2013 Rubicon Unlimited 10th Anniversary

I dont think Americans would like the 4i 2.8 liter WM motori diesel, it is more like driving a tractor. Maybe the diesel You have in the Grand Cherokee, bigger one.

Some costs in Sweden

Diesel engine option cost 5 562 dollar more than the Pentastar engine

Yearly vehicle tax for the Pentastar is about 483 dollar (even if You dont drive it at al)

Yearly vehicle tax for the Diesel 4i 2.8 liter is about 883 dollar

Yearly Vehicle tax for Landrover Defender 110 diesel is about 1 321 dollar

My understanding is that the Diesel needs more service and do cost more.

I have to drive as a taxidriver to gain with the diesel compared to the Pentastar, I dont drive much a year.

You should read this from South Africa, they have both diesel and Pentastar. Some say that the diesel was intresting compared to the old 3.8, but now with the Pentastar not so much anymore

http://4x4community.co.za/forum/showthread.php?t=154836

http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/showthread.php?t=180035

http://4x4community.co.za/forum/showthread.php?t=124353

Last edited:

Omar Brannstrom

Adventurer
Howdy

I am not a engine expert but the 3.6 Pentastar is a relativily new engine but lacks some addons like turbo and such. I think that would be more expensive. So I think that they can make the Pentastar more powerfull, but are we willing to pay for it if they us more for it, maybe they wont, they have to compete.

But anyway, compare it to the smaller 3.0 liter engine that is in the landrover LR4.

"the 3.0-litre V6 Supercharged engine is coupled with 8-speed automatic transmission that delivers an impressive 340bhp power output with torque of 332 lb.ft."

The bigger 3.6 liter Pentastar has 285 horsepower and 260 lb-ft torque

EMrider

Explorer
Hi from Sweden Europe

You want what You can not have:)

I drove a 2013 Rubicon Unlimited diesel only on a parking lot, lot of sound, slow, boring and not for me. I dont tow. I had a 2012 2 door Sahara Pentastar, went for a 2013 Rubicon Unlimited 10th Anniversary

I dont think Americans would like the 4i 2.8 liter WM motori diesel, it is more like driving a tractor. Maybe the diesel You have in the Grand Cherokee, bigger one.

Some costs in Sweden

Diesel engine option cost 5 562 dollar more than the Pentastar engine

Yearly vehicle tax for the Pentastar is about 483 dollar (even if You dont drive it at al)

Yearly vehicle tax for the Diesel 4i 2.8 liter is about 883 dollar

Yearly Vehicle tax for Landrover Defender 110 diesel is about 1 321 dollar

My understanding is that the Diesel needs more service and do cost more.

I have to drive as a taxidriver to gain with the diesel compared to the Pentastar, I dont drive much a year.

You should read this from South Africa, they have both diesel and Pentastar. Some say that the diesel was intresting compared to the old 3.8, but now with the Pentastar not so much anymore

http://4x4community.co.za/forum/showthread.php?t=154836

http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/showthread.php?t=180035

http://4x4community.co.za/forum/showthread.php?t=124353

You are certainly right about the desire for what we cannot have. I fall into that mindset occasionally.

The links you provide above make for interesting reading.

My recollection was that the demand for the GC deisel option had been very strong. That does not square with the CEOs comments about future use of diesels.

R

Omar Brannstrom

Adventurer
Hi

My theory:)

The 2.8 diesel is to weak for americans.

The 3.0L V6 multijet II is probably very good but offcourse have a lot more tourqe and can a standard Wrangler cope with that power? I dont know but maybe it needs bigger axles and probably bigger brakes and it would cost more, and are we willing to pay for that? Just wondering

Many on US Wrangler sites wants diesel, maybe 20% hangs out on the forums, half of them 10% wants diesel, thats 50% of the forum readers. The other 80% wrangler owners that do not hang out on forums and use the Wrangler as a normal vehicle and dont care about torque and the additional cost for it. So in total of all wrangler owner maybe only 10% would buy a diesel wrangler. Is it enough for Jeep to sell Diesel Wranglers in US? Just a theory from me.

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: Your theory sounds OK to me, but

Hi

My theory:)

The 2.8 diesel is to weak for americans.

The 3.0L V6 multijet II is probably very good but offcourse have a lot more tourqe and can a standard Wrangler cope with that power? I dont know but maybe it needs bigger axles and probably bigger brakes and it would cost more, and are we willing to pay for that? Just wondering

Many on US Wrangler sites wants diesel, maybe 20% hangs out on the forums, half of them 10% wants diesel, thats 50% of the forum readers. The other 80% wrangler owners that do not hang out on forums and use the Wrangler as a normal vehicle and dont care about torque and the additional cost for it. So in total of all wrangler owner maybe only 10% would buy a diesel wrangler. Is it enough for Jeep to sell Diesel Wranglers in US? Just a theory from me.

The amount of torque required in a wrangler is pretty "Flighty", most newer, or older jeep owners that aren't too deep in the mechanics ofit-assume torque/w mileage/towing/accelleration-

A Diesel is pretty expensive for any of those and the jeeps 3.8l/3.6l is capable of allofem-so since we talking the US and not Europe--a diesel is way too overpriced for attributes that are cheaply available for modifications that are reasonably available, or self modified-

No desire for a diesel in the wrangler--HERE, the benefits are really overshadowed by the state emmission/maintenance/fuel costs--

:costumed-smiley-007:wings: JIMBO

vonguido

Adventurer
I have yet to see anyone mention the possibilities of eventually being able to run the diesels off WVO or bio-diesel. If it gets released its only a matter of time before someone comes up with a system for it. Here in Ohio bio-diesel is cheap and WVO is even cheaper. Still I would rather buy a used JKU with high mileage but the body/chassis in near perfect condition then send the Jeep off to have a 4bt swapped into it, but thats just me.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
I have yet to see anyone mention the possibilities of eventually being able to run the diesels off WVO or bio-diesel. If it gets released its only a matter of time before someone comes up with a system for it. Here in Ohio bio-diesel is cheap and WVO is even cheaper. Still I would rather buy a used JKU with high mileage but the body/chassis in near perfect condition then send the Jeep off to have a 4bt swapped into it, but thats just me.

I'm not an expert, but I think that's out of the question on modern computer controlled, high-pressure common-rail injection, DPF-enabled diesels.

I think they get unhappy very quickly if you run them on anything other than Ultra-low sulfur diesel.

-Dan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne