Rotopax on a 1st gen hood?

Bhodgin

Any reasons why I shouldn't buy a rotopax 4 gallon gas, 2 gallon water, and a 2 gallon storage pack and mount them to my hood? I have the money to replace the hood after a wicked CO hail storm. Thanks Allstate. This would be cheaper and it's not like it isn't going to hail again. Just brainstorming here.

Attachments

• photo-8.jpg
    photo-8.jpg
    543.3 KB · Views: 98

PaintRock

Adventurer
Apparently your annoyance tolerance is far higher than mine. Having to listen to those and look over and around them every time I wanted to drive somewhere would drive me insane.

Bhodgin

I folded up some cardboard this morning to the dimensions of the containers, and the way the hood slopes they aren't as obtrusive as one might think.

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: WOW, I guess those Toyota hoods are really strong--75/100lbs--no problemo--ever-

Good luck

:costumed-smiley-007:wings: JIMBO

I don't see this working without some pretty good reinforcement of the hood itself. It certainly can be done - Landrovers kept their spare there for many years - but it will take a little doing. I'd also be concerned about gasoline over your engine. Hot engine, get a leak from a cap... and then you have a new claim with Allstate for the whole truck. I'd consider water or some other non flammable/explosive substance, but not gasoline.

AxleIke

Adventurer
If it were me, I would not do that. You are putting a lot of weight on the hood, and beyond what was said above, I'd almost be worried about the metal where the latch attaches. I'd hate to have the latch rip out of the hood at 60 mph and get the hood, and rotopax slamming up and into the windshield.

Thats probably a pretty far fetched scenario, but the hood isn't designed to hold a load. It'll probably be fine, but, since its just brain storming.....

Schattenjager

Expedition Leader
I would imagine that any kind of accident would have them sheering off in an airborn display of a bad idea. Where did you get this notion?

MadMedic

Technical Responce Medic
DO NOT PUT THEM ON THE HOOD. A very bad idea. Small storage box maybe. And a very slight maybe. I wouldn't do it As stated previous In the event of an RTC or other event those things are going to turn in projectiles especially at speed the plastic is going to rip apart from any housing and is going to fly. if it's filled with fuel your going to turn it into a bomb no two ways about it.

Sent using Tapatalk

Colonal Angus

Adventurer
I've considered mounting MaxtraX on my hood by using SeaSucker mounts but Even with as little weight as that is...I'd limit it to trail use only.

That'd be a lot of weight on the hood...it would look cool but I don't think the looks would outweigh the safety factor.

Bhodgin

I was just curious. My last vehicle, a Subaru Forester I mounted the solar panels (3 15w) on the hood and it rode fine. However I did fab up some reinforcement aluminum to strengthen under the hood and installed hydraulics similar to the rear hatch. Typically in a collision do the rotopax take off?

MadMedic

Technical Responce Medic
I was just curious. My last vehicle, a Subaru Forester I mounted the solar panels (3 15w) on the hood and it rode fine. However I did fab up some reinforcement aluminum to strengthen under the hood and installed hydraulics similar to the rear hatch. Typically in a collision do the rotopax take off?

Solar panels, would be a different matter. In there nature solar panels are flimsy and prone to breaking if handled incorrectly or receive a sudden shock thus in the event of an accident shouldn't cause to much injury where as a so many gallon fuel tank/carrier will have a significantly greater mass and thus inertia in the event of an accident, this combined with the contents would cause significant injury to anyone nearby.

Now i wouldn't advice it for use on trails as well as public roads because in the event of a frontal impact and they didn't become separated from the vehicle, then you have the potential for a damaged tank to leak onto a potential still running hot engine. Here you have a explosive device. If you couple that with such an event that you become trapped in the vehicle, a non fatal incident could easily become a fatality.

The strength of the bonnet im not questioning, they are stronger than many people give them credit for, although yes it would need strengthening.

Now my experience isnt with Rotopax they are not that common over here in the UK, although i have dealt with several incident involving farm machinery, in particularly quads, and side by sides and on the few occasions i have attended where a quad has flipped carrying Jerry's on the front rack and the can has stayed where it is but has manage to break (i think it may have been the seal) and has begun to leak. i have also dealt with similar incident where the can has parted with the vehicle and become airborne landing 10-15 ft away.
So professionally i wouldn't advice you mount anything upfront, Just my two pennies worth.

MadMedic

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
In addition to the above, how would you attach them? Would you bolt or screw some kind of mount into the hood? 4 gallons gas + 2 gallons water, that's 44 pounds plus whatever you put in the storage container plus the weights of the containers themselves - lot of weight to be putting on that thin sheet metal. And the first time you hit a serious bump all that weight is going to push down on the hood, damaging it further. It may even get to the point where it won't latch or won't release.

Honestly I can see no reason to do this. From the looks of your vehicle you have plenty of places to store stuff.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I would imagine that any kind of accident would have them sheering off in an airborn display of a bad idea. Where did you get this notion?

Makes me think of the trend I've seen here in CO over the last 4 years or so, people with Wranglers or Cherokees that have the Hi Lift mounted to the cowling right in front of the windshield :rolleyes:

Yes, it looks "salty" but what happens if you're in an accident? That hi-lift can become a lethal projectile.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne