1/2 ton 3/4 ton swap

HotrodSmurf

Observer
Depending on the year the frames are different. If it's ifs the whole front end its very different and not easily swapped.

Slicky72

Adventurer
My brother bought one made out of an early 80's short box and the frame really wasn't up to the task of dealing with those heavy components. What years were you thinking about?

Col.Tanner

keeps me warm
I have a 98 and was hoping the early 90s would work for a swap, but I don't know when the frames changed on the 2500.:confused:

1stDeuce

Explorer
Negatory. ALL of the front suspension components are different, as are the frame mounting points, and they do not swap. :( Time to look for a different truck, or consider going SFA if you're really attached to the one you have...
C

aardvarcus

Adventurer
In the 90s you could get a light duty 2500 (7200 GVWR), which was basically a ½ ton truck with a ¾ ton rear axle. I have one of those trucks. That rear axle is the 9.5” 14 Bolt Semi Float, which can be had in the regular 6 lug ½ ton pattern. That axle would be a good upgrade to a truck if you wanted to keep the 6 lug pattern. Upgrading the front IFS to the real ¾ ton version though is not practical, so as others have already stated you would be better off starting with a real ¾ ton truck if you want real ¾ ton suspension all around.

NCLR015

Adventurer
That's a lot of work. Years ago my dad had a 73 3/4 ton Chevy 2WD pickup. He converted it to 4WD. Now he probably has the only 4WD Chevy pickup with a 454 under the hood but when it was done he told me he should have sold it and bought. 4WD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I Leak Oil

Expedition Leader
As others said, you'll be leaps ahead just finding a 3/4 ton truck. That's ahead in terms of time, frustration and overall happiness. Probably money wise also. If it were the older leaf all around vintage that would be a different story.

HotrodSmurf

Observer
However you could swap in a solid axle and do work :) but it would still just be a 1/2 ton with beefy axles so it depends on your motivation for the swap, if all you need to be 3/4 ton is the axles than your golden, if you really need a 3/4 for towing, hauling, etc than your better just buying a 3/4.

Col.Tanner

keeps me warm
OK Thanks guys for all the input. Guess I will have to change trucks or have the sas done.:cool: Thanks Again, great forum!!:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94