Eccotemp L5 mounting and Plumbing

I just got my L5 and flojet pump. I started hooking it up and now.............................(picture of my setup below)

I'm really struggling with how to plumb everything. I want to have hot and cold water available at the sink but I also want to be able to use the shower head a few feet away from the trailer to take showers and rinse stuff off. Any ideas? I'm already getting tired of running to Lowes for fittings and stuff. I think the biggest problem I'm having is the L5 heater cant really be permanently mounted. can anyone show me or tell me how they did this or offer any tips. The wife has said she would like a shower and hot valve at the sink so those are the objectives. Thanks!

surly

surly adventurer
For our trailer, I was thinking of a bracket to hang on the outside with the head used as both a shower and a faucet.

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
Mount two studs on the front or rear upright of your rack to hang the heater on.
When not in use store it safely inside the trailer.

protohyp

Adventurer
sedybyqu.jpg

Mine is permanently mounted in the compartment on the top left of the picture. You can see the lines coming out of the shower door on the bottom. When the heater is on I just open the top hatch for ventilation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

protohyp

Adventurer
Also check out the Utility trailer build Post build thread. He mounted the heater assembly on the outside and his solution might work for you as well. You're just gonna need tees regardless if you want to plumb hot to the sink

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

loren85022

Explorer
I mounted on the exterior. My only issue is I added a T to the outgoing hot water. One goes direct to shower head. It's perfect. The 2nd pipes hot water to sink 10' away. It wastes 12-16 fl oz of water in the hose before hot water arrives. That's notable on a 3+ night run. We capture it and use, but it's a design flaw.

The sun has baked it so we added a easy to remove dust/mud/sun/etc cover we use when not in use.

Sent from my iToaster

Thanks for all the great advice and examples. I wanted to mount the heater on the trailer but was concerned about the heat and the RTT. How hot do these things get?

protohyp

Adventurer
They're designed to get hot. If the casing gets sun baked it shouldn't be a big deal but dust in the burner and coils might eventually cake the system with a nice layer of soot that might cause issues. Just make a cover for it if mounted to the exterior.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ezzzzzzz

Observer
I use quick disconnects for the lines. A simple round stock frame (think real estate sign) can be fabbed to hold the Eccotemp. That could also be fabbed to mount into your trailer tongue (in front of the box) for easy setup and breakdown too. Nix that last idea as I see your sink and stove are in that box. I have one mounted to a hand cart along with a 26 gallon sprayer tank & pump assembly too. I'll cycle the water until the tank is up to an appropriate temperature then divert to the shower (or a sink too) using simple ball valves. The heat coming out of the top is not an issue if you can keep a couple of feet from the RTT but there is the carbon monoxide that could enter the tent (just a safety thought if someone is up there playing or napping). Adequate water pressure is required to keep the burner going. Remember to use low air pressure to empty the Eccotemp lines for storage if it will see freezing temps. I lost my first unit to that oversight.

Thanks I was wondering where you guys were mounting them. Good tips on clearing the lines in the winter. I fired my L% up for the first time tonight. Man it heats fast and seems to work really well. The exhaust isn't as hot as I thought it would be. I would like to mount it on the trailer somewhere but I was concerned about the heat. I don't think it would be a problem, but the carbon dioxide may be. Im just excited to have my flojet pump working and the L5 running. Quick disconnects are a good Idea....One came with my water heater and I am using it, but I need another. Any tips on where to get them?

ezzzzzzz

Observer
I just use brass disconnects and ball valves purchased at a local vendor, HF (china crap) or Northern (milton). I'm sure you can find them at www.mcmaster.com or any hydraulic supply house. The steel balls in the disconnects will eventually rust and stick but it does take awhile for that to happen.

Thanks, I'll look into that. Well I found out tonight my hose cant take the heat...... It got a nasty bulge in it, and was about to explode! I will have to stop at the hardware store or Rv shop to see what they have. I should only have to upgrade the "hot" side tubing. Other than that I think I have it figured out. I think I will just make a hook on the outside of the trailer to hang the heater on. I think it gets way to hot to be anywhere near my RTtent. Then I guess the kitchen will be pretty much done.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94