2015 Subaru Outback: The Anti-Wrangler

WagoneerSX4

Adventurer
I have driven a 2014 Outback as a rental. I can see the appeal of it for being an AWD car, American built, but it's no Wrangler. I think the anti-Wrangler is a bit of stretch, as I don't see that the two compete other then that the JKU has four-doors. I think a CRV fits as competition more, which as well as CRVs are selling, I think Subaru would rather compete with the CRV buyers.

I think you're missing the point the OP was trying to get across. In no means does the outback compete with the wrangler class-wise. It's just some people slowly realize that they won't use a wrangler for what it was designed to do. Or rather, they don't NEED the capabilities of the wrangler. They still want the peace of mind of an AWD platform but want comfort, fuel economy and reliablity. Then they somehow end up at a subaru dealership.

So what he's saying, many times level-headed people pick something like an outback over a wrangler when they realize they'll never take it off road.

Laxaholic

Adventurer
I think you're missing the point the OP was trying to get across. In no means does the outback compete with the wrangler class-wise. It's just some people slowly realize that they won't use a wrangler for what it was designed to do. Or rather, they don't NEED the capabilities of the wrangler. They still want the peace of mind of an AWD platform but want comfort, fuel economy and reliablity. Then they somehow end up at a subaru dealership.

So what he's saying, many times level-headed people pick something like an outback over a wrangler when they realize they'll never take it off road.

That's the truth right there

libarata

Expedition Leader
It is more that there are fewer places to 'offroad' in the US, so there is no need for a machine that is not very reliable, horrible payload, lack of comfort, disgusting economy, and a need to rip it apart and rebuild with non-stock components to haul yourself to a glampground with your grill and fridge. So, the dirt road machines are gaining ground over the status symbols.

Dake21

Adventurer
I sometime hit the trails with a friend of mine who has a subaru forester. The only weakness he had was a lack of lower gearing and a low range gearbox. But it's one of the most comfortable suv I have sit in, and it's lighter weight make it go over mud instead of sinking in.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
It is more that there are fewer places to 'offroad' in the US, so there is no need for a machine that is not very reliable, horrible payload, lack of comfort, disgusting economy, and a need to rip it apart and rebuild with non-stock components to haul yourself to a glampground with your grill and fridge. So, the dirt road machines are gaining ground over the status symbols.

Pretty strong words there. I could say the same about the Subaru I had, POS that was in the garage all the time for computer, oil, and water leaks. something I have neither in my wrangler, Plus I carry everything just fine, Never had any issues with reliability, and its acutally very comfortable. Gas milage is not that bad either if you drive it correctly.

as for your payload comment, He in glass houses. I got 200 lbs on your AMAZING forrester. So, please....save us the payload comments.

AS AN EDIT: are you putting Scott Brady and that crew in with us Wrangler Drivers as well, They use fridges, Grill, and other cooking utensils as well. Even, Heaven forbid, a tent. WOW. What horrible people we all are for buying gear we use. I sense a massive amount of Jealously and hatred spewing from you. I think the Jeep and other drivers, Head farther away from the "glampgrounds" as you call it than most Subaru drivers. Most of them are soccer moms and old men. Subaru, The Japanese Chevette.

Last edited:

libarata

Expedition Leader
I hike to where I camp, where no vehicles go legally. The roo drops me off at a trailhead, and I walk in the rest of the way, where you HAUL your glampground with you. I would say that the only thing missing, is a TV, but most of you take tablets, with downloaded movies. The horrible payload comes from your available space, which is minimal in a jeep. Now, a jeep would be nice, if they were better at handling themselves on concrete, where the majority of vehicles live. Instead, whew, they suck.

lizardking

I hike to where I camp, where no vehicles go legally. The roo drops me off at a trailhead, and I walk in the rest of the way, where you HAUL your glampground with you. I would say that the only thing missing, is a TV, but most of you take tablets, with downloaded movies. The horrible payload comes from your available space, which is minimal in a jeep. Now, a jeep would be nice, if they were better at handling themselves on concrete, where the majority of vehicles live. Instead, whew, they suck.

So um, you don't actually even expedition travel and you might as well be doing it is a 2 wheel drive minivan (payload, mpg, handling on road). There are a lot of legal places to adventure still. Maybe some of them are accessible by Subaru. I wouldn't drive my Subaru the same places I LEGALLY (while treading lightly) drive my rig. Since Jeeps are so bad (not that I agree with you) how about a Xterra or Toyota with IFS that do drive well on the roads. It the same old "you don't even off road so why do they build off road trucks"?? Well I off road my truck. Is it okay now?? Can they make it for me??

Oozing liberal guilt syndrome. There will be no talking to this one.

I like subarus. I wish they would stop making CVTs. Make the STI Forester 6 speed and they might get a customer back.

libarata

Expedition Leader
Some trailheads can be pretty remote, we all know this. As far as 'offroading', we all have different definitions. Some folks think the only off-roading is over boulders on 35s, some think that green lanning is perfectly fine. Adventure travel? I will use my vehicle to get where I need to, and use it as a supply station. I just wont sleep in it next to a fridge, nor rip it apart and spend thousands on modifying it for something I can walk over, quicker.
-
Jeeps are cool, I like em. I would love to own one some day. What I don't like, is the elitist attitude that comes with a jeep, modified or not against all other things.
-
edit: I am still on the fence with CVTs. I test drove an impreza with one, and I was NOT impressed at all. For a commuter car, it would not be so bad. But I would love to see how they fair in snow/ice/sand/mud associated with unpaved roads.
-
another edit: As for the whole overland adventure title, I am completing every hike, from closest, to furthest to my home. Right now, I have to travel at least 45 minutes for the next hike on my list. By the end of next year, it will be closer to near two hours. For some of them, I will have to start overnighting by requirement, not for fun. Give it another year on that, and I may have to start taking a cooler with me, squuueeeeeeeeeeee.

Last edited:

zimm

Expedition Leader
AS AN EDIT: are you putting Scott Brady and that crew in with us Wrangler Drivers as well, They use fridges, Grill, and other cooking utensils as well. Even, Heaven forbid, a tent. WOW. What horrible people we all are for buying gear we use. I sense a massive amou....

heres an idea.

leave other people out of your cat fights. "claiming" brady doesnt give you any cred or add to your argument, let alone you have no idea what the mother ****er actually thinks. he's here. hes perfectly capable of plastering his own name on this stupidity if he so desires.

zimm

Expedition Leader
an outback is a station wagon.

if you think a station wagon and a rubicon have a same offroad skill set, YOU dont have an of road skill set.

i think people have forgotten 2wd cars can traverse a dirt road.

kojackJKU

Some trailheads can be pretty remote, we all know this. As far as 'offroading', we all have different definitions. Some folks think the only off-roading is over boulders on 35s, some think that green lanning is perfectly fine. Adventure travel? I will use my vehicle to get where I need to, and use it as a supply station. I just wont sleep in it next to a fridge, nor rip it apart and spend thousands on modifying it for something I can walk over, quicker.
-
Jeeps are cool, I like em. I would love to own one some day. What I don't like, is the elitist attitude that comes with a jeep, modified or not against all other things.
-
edit: I am still on the fence with CVTs. I test drove an impreza with one, and I was NOT impressed at all. For a commuter car, it would not be so bad. But I would love to see how they fair in snow/ice/sand/mud associated with unpaved roads.
-
another edit: As for the whole overland adventure title, I am completing every hike, from closest, to furthest to my home. Right now, I have to travel at least 45 minutes for the next hike on my list. By the end of next year, it will be closer to near two hours. For some of them, I will have to start overnighting by requirement, not for fun. Give it another year on that, and I may have to start taking a cooler with me, squuueeeeeeeeeeee.

I think you are the one with the elitist attitude my friend. You have a huge generalization of jeep owners. TOTALLY WRONG. I would welcome any rig along with us if YOUR COOL. NOT a dip****. Any vehicle is welcome. Its about getting out and seeing the world. Enjoy your pavement pounder, My jeep handles great on pavement, off pavement and everything in between.

Enjoy your hikes. we will wave while we all throw cans, trash and tear up your trails. Since that's the way you think we all are.

kojackJKU

heres an idea.

leave other people out of your cat fights. "claiming" brady doesnt give you any cred or add to your argument, let alone you have no idea what the mother ****er actually thinks. he's here. hes perfectly capable of plastering his own name on this stupidity if he so desires.

******? I was not crapping on them (scott brady and crew) I was making a point that he was calling anyone with a fridge, tent, or other outdoor adventure equipment posers.. And I know exactly what He (liberate) is thinking. He is thinking that everyone who off roads, uses a fridge, tent etc, are rich elitist pricks. Am I close? Yep. I think I am. Everyone who is involved in this passion are far from what this knob is calling all of us.

Chazz Layne

Administrator
I know the mighty Subarus can invoke some real rage from the "true fourwheelers", but keep it civil. I have a shiny bronze banhammer sitting next to me and I love to throw it... ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior