2015 Subaru Outback: The Anti-Wrangler

haven

Expedition Leader
Looks like Subaru assembled the automotive press in Oregon to introduce the 2015 Subaru Outback. Today a number of web sites posted their first impressions.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/suvs/1406_2015_subaru_outback_first_drive/
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2015-subaru-outback-first-drive-review
http://www.autoweek.com/article/20140630/CARREVIEWS/140639999
http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews/driven/1406-2015-subaru-outback-driven/

The Outback continues to be a great alternative for those who want mild off-pavement capability, and the safety of AWD for driving on slick pavement, in a roomy package that gets decent fuel economy.

The Outback is like the anti-Wrangler. The Wrangler Unlimited is a superior choice for trails (shorter overhangs), and can be easily modified for truly rugged off-road travel. The Wrangler is rated to tow a trailer that's 500 lb heavier than the Outback. The Outback and the stock Wrangler have similar ground clearance, and similar cargo space. The Wrangler looks like you're on an expedition even when parked at Safeway.

The Outback is better in just about all other circumstances: Better ride and handling, better brakes, better fuel economy, better interior appointments, and so on.

In USA, the Outback is available only with a CVT transmission, programmed to act like a six speed automatic. Canadian shoppers can choose a six speed manual trans.

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
In addition to our Expedition built JKU our other car is a 2007 LLB Outback 2.5, or "the hearse" as we refer to it. That Outback took us on a lot of adventures before we got the Jeep and we'll keep it until the wheels fall off.

cdthiker

Meandering Idaho
I can safely say that these cars do very well off road only limited by clearance and gearing ( no low range)
More then one times when I owned my 2010 Outback Sport I had it places that it really should not have been, the AWD and a five speed had me blow past bogged down trucks and jeeps chain up in the deep snow of the Wasatch in Utah.
Great little cars. I miss mine dearly and would buy another in a heart beat if I had the money. I only got rid of mine becasue it was hard to do truck stuff with a car and at the end of the day it just did not have the clearance of my taco for getting me the places that I need to go.

EMrider

Explorer
Has anyone had any of the oil consumption/ piston ring issues with the later FB-25 engines?

Lots of owners have had oil consumption issues on the Subaru Outback forum.

But there was a TSB on this and Subaru did make a change to the rings it uses in new motors on 8 May 2013. Build dates afterward should be relatively trouble free.

R

FordGuy1

Adventurer
My wife just took delivery of a 2015 limited with the six. Since I run a Ford dealership I was a little horrified, but I must say it is a great driving car. The only complaint is the CVT, its not great, but the best CVT I have ever drove.

WagoneerSX4

Adventurer
How does it possibly have similar ground clearnce to a wrangler? Stock numbers for a wrangler sport is 10.5". I mean, with that rear suspension design, it might as well have a solid axle just like the wrangler. I'm not exactly sure where they take the measurement from, but when you look at an outback from behind, those rear control arms are only inches from the ground.

And as far as oil consumption, it's a flat engine, it's always going to burn oil. Just like they'll all burn through headgaskets eventually. Don't get me wrong, I love subies, but they have their downsides.

If it's anything like the old outbacks, they just have such a lack of character. The impreza and forester have their quircks, and that's what I like about them. There's nothing wrong with the outbacks.... they're just... bleh. You know when you're visiting a really nice house but you just think to yourself, I could never live here? But you have no idea why. That's how I feel about outbacks.

IrishCatholic

Rubicon to Outback

I ordered a 2015 Outback August 1st and took delivery November 3rd - I traded my 2012 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon for it and couldn't be happier. The Outback is a lot like my GS - the perfect compromise for the pavement to dirt ratio most of us actually enjoy. I was surprised how infrequently I engaged the lockers and pulled the transfer case into 4 low in my Rubicon. Doubling my gas milage, quieting my interior and making my ride more comfortable is totally a fair trade for the possibility I might have to turn around once every few years.

OuterLimits

I control the horizontal and the vertical
I ordered a 2015 Outback August 1st and took delivery November 3rd - I traded my 2012 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon for it and couldn't be happier. The Outback is a lot like my GS - the perfect compromise for the pavement to dirt ratio most of us actually enjoy. I was surprised how infrequently I engaged the lockers and pulled the transfer case into 4 low in my Rubicon. Doubling my gas milage, quieting my interior and making my ride more comfortable is totally a fair trade for the possibility I might have to turn around once every few years.

IC,

Brilliant and concise explanation! Wish I would have said that!

A few years back I swapped my Toyota FJ60 for a 2005 Ford Escape 4WD for all the same reasons. ...and never looked back. OK, that's a lie. I miss that beast from time to time, but as a daily driver I don't miss the lousy ride, low gears, mediocre handling, and horrible gas mileage.

I just slapped some new wheels and Cooper AT3s on the Escape. A skid plate is currently on order. This setup (like a Subaru), won't take me everywhere, but it is a perfect compromise, that is capable of providing a lifetime of backroad adventures, while still being nimble and civilized on tarmac.

Cheers

Last edited:

grogie

Like to Camp
Looks like Subaru assembled the automotive press in Oregon to introduce the 2015 Subaru Outback. Today a number of web sites posted their first impressions.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/suvs/1406_2015_subaru_outback_first_drive/
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2015-subaru-outback-first-drive-review
http://www.autoweek.com/article/20140630/CARREVIEWS/140639999
http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews/driven/1406-2015-subaru-outback-driven/

The Outback continues to be a great alternative for those who want mild off-pavement capability, and the safety of AWD for driving on slick pavement, in a roomy package that gets decent fuel economy.

The Outback is like the anti-Wrangler. The Wrangler Unlimited is a superior choice for trails (shorter overhangs), and can be easily modified for truly rugged off-road travel. The Wrangler is rated to tow a trailer that's 500 lb heavier than the Outback. The Outback and the stock Wrangler have similar ground clearance, and similar cargo space. The Wrangler looks like you're on an expedition even when parked at Safeway.

The Outback is better in just about all other circumstances: Better ride and handling, better brakes, better fuel economy, better interior appointments, and so on.

In USA, the Outback is available only with a CVT transmission, programmed to act like a six speed automatic. Canadian shoppers can choose a six speed manual trans.

I was living in Colorado when the Outback was first released and at least it seemed to me that people that drove Outbacks didn't want larger type 4x4s, which at the time were mostly full-size SUVs and pickups, due to that in my opinion were too much of "macho" vehicles. I'm not saying this to insult anyone, just an observation. I had a sister-in-law that bought one for that reason, who at the time had short hair and was often seen driving around Colorado with her female best friend (her words, not mine!).

I have driven a 2014 Outback as a rental. I can see the appeal of it for being an AWD car, American built, but it's no Wrangler. I think the anti-Wrangler is a bit of stretch, as I don't see that the two compete other then that the JKU has four-doors. I think a CRV fits as competition more, which as well as CRVs are selling, I think Subaru would rather compete with the CRV buyers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior