house battery with no connection to alternator

hitek79

Explorer
I purchased the Renogy 100W panels. I have room for at least 6. More if I want to start taking up some of my roof rack space.

So today I came across something potentially interesting. My rig is a 24 passenger bus. It has a good amount of wiring and lighting in the back, and today I was under the bus and I came across a second battery. I'm assuming that means that I have a high output Alt that capable of charging that battery as well.

hitek79

Explorer
So I've decided I'm sticking with the simple set up for now and not connecting to the alternator. Can anyone help with wiring diagram so I don't mess anything up? Here is my parts list as of now.

6x100w Renogy panels

Morningstar MPPT 60A controller

645ah battery bank

Noco Genius for shore power charging

Morningstar SureSine 300w inverter

Blue Sea fuse block

Lights/chargers/etc.

There are a million diagrams floating around, and a lot of them seem to be slightly different for various components, so I'm just trying to understand why certain things go in certain orders. Thanks for any help!

Kevin.Hutch

Excellent advice, the best system is a separate charge control system for each battery, however if your battery replacement cost does not exceed the regulator/charge control system cost, then take my advice and please yourself do not over engineer it, unless the learning curve it the object, thousands can not be wrong.
We survive with 180watt MPPT solar, 100a/h battery for 7 sunny days with a VSR and a 150a alternator for boost charging when we travel. We chose not to travel in rainy weather.
The principle of batteries and their charging is very old but the technological changes make it a mature but still evolving science, full of many contradictions.
Size, weight, battery type, solar surface area, how long camped, not to mention usage, play significantly in establishing the best compromise for each solution and the more you learn the more you realise how little you know.
The chances are you will only ever replace your battery once before you replace your vehicle so consider the cost.

Kevin H

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94