The "Monster's" tail build thread

AZ_Ray

Observer
Has a couple hours to work on it

Didn't have to much time to work on it, but was able to start stripping down the rear end I'm going to put under the trailer. Had to stop short of completely getting it apart, didn't had the proper socket to take wheel bearing nuts off. Good thing is, the gears match what I'm currently running and is a limited slip(same in x also) so I have a bunch of spare parts now. I doubt I'll need spares for a sterling 10.5, never know thou.

Septu

Explorer
You're going to use the axle that came with it? Why not shave a bunch of weight, and put something else under it?

AZ_Ray

Observer
I'm going with that axle so I'll have same bolt pattern (8x170) as my excursion. Also it will give me hydraulic brakes and a parking brake. I'm going to cut the "pumpkin" out of the axle and sleeve a tube into the axle ends. It should only weigh about 160lbs when I'm done.

AZ_Ray

Observer
Well, I had the axle cut today. The shop that did kinda regretted quoting me a price before they did they cuts. He broke 2 bandsaw blades....oopps. Axle tubes are 3 1/2" O.D. 1/2" wall.

Had a sticker shock on how much a piece of steel tube is gonna cost to replace the center section.(it's only 21" long....$161....ouch)

AZ_Ray

Observer
Heres some bodywork work I had to done in a couple of spare hrs on Saturday

All put back together and straighter than before.

Last edited:

Kuneefay

Thats going to look great being paint matched, I was planning on doing mine the same (arizona??)beige color as my trim. And running the 8x170 hubs is the way to go. Im going to be doing my hubs in a 5x6.5" pattern and then buy some 8x170mm lug adapters. The reason why im doing the 5x6.5 is because im picking up a range rover and I want to be able to swap the wheels and tires out per which ever rig im adventuring with on the given day. Also the rover wheels will be able to tuck in under the fenders much better as Im only running 30's on the rover and the extra clearence will be needed when I throw the 35's for the excursion under it. Looking forward to more updates!

AZ_Ray

Observer
It's been awhile since I've done anything to it(garage is to hot,AZ summers).

Had the wife pick up the steel for the frame(I've got a good one), now I just need to get home to cut it and weld it together, hopefully next weekend it will be on the frame.

AZ_Ray

Observer
Had a day off on Monday, so decided to get some steel cut and welded.

Got it cut and prepped to weld, dragged the Esab 250 out got it all set up. Grabbed some scrap to test welder setting Gas was flowing and wire was feeding but no spark(******). Couldn't figure it out so took it the shop, should know something next week, hopefully not to expensive of a repair.

AZ_Ray

Observer
Well the welder shop called and bill is gonna be just about $420 for repairs on the welder, not to bad for a machine that nearly 20 yrs old and never been in the shop. Should have it back by Halloween weekend, then I can get the frame welded up. Yay

highlandercj-7

Explorer
Is that 3x5 tube 1/8" wall? Looks beefy. Also for your springs check out the Silverado springs 88-99 they are longer, flex well, ride smooth, and haul a good amount of weight. I will be using them under the rear of my CJ-8 project. For my trailer I run Jeep Grand Wagoner front springs, thought it's not a 5k trailer.

AZ_Ray

Observer
It's 3"x4" .120 wall. (1/8" is .125)

I have a line on 2012 f-350 rear springs which are longer than my current springs, and the guys has lift blocks for a real good price, probably gonna that route for the time being.

AZ_Ray

Observer
So I got the call today from the welder shop, went and picked up my machine on my way home from work today. Just couldn't wait to try it out!!

Not to bad of a weld, since I haven't done any serious welding in about 5 years

The wife even got to try welding for her first time ever

Her first weld

Almost all welded, ran out of daylight and its a week night.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste