The "Monster's" tail build thread

AZ_Ray

Observer
After 3 weeks of missed/broken equipment, I finally have the utility bed I've been looking for 6 months(and the only one for sale in the western US for a decent price).

It's gonna be a slow build, I only get one weekend off every 2 weeks.
Here's a couple quick pics.

AZ_Ray

Observer
It's all steel and best guess on wieght is about 1100lbs it's 9' long and 6'6" wide

I live in the town of Maricopa. I'd love to see your rig and trailer also.

loren85022

Explorer
I'll be curious your design. Building one is great fun. I'd sure be mindful of weight.

Sent from my iToaster

AZ_Ray

Observer
I'll be curious your design. Building one is great fun. I'd sure be mindful of weight.

Sent from my iToaster

I'm registering it for 5,000 gross wieght, it will have brakes on it. I'm looking to have a wieght capacity of about 2,500lbs once the trailer is complete. The Excursion is rated for more than twice that, I'm not going serious off roading with it.

Last edited:

AZ_Ray

Observer
Frame sketch

So here's a quick drawing of the frame I'm going to build under the bed. Any input would be great.
Total frame length is 14'
I need to use 3x3x3/16 wall square stock for the tongue.
I'm thinking I can use 3x4x1/8wall rectangular stock(1/8 save a lot of weight vs3/16 and $$$)
The frame is narrow cause I'm using a modified truck axle and leaf springs.
Also with 8 mounting point to the frame the bed should stiffen it up a bit.
Wondering if I should use rubber body mounts between frame and bed thou?

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
Rubber mounts would be cool and help with twisty terrain.
Are you going with a truck axle for spare parts or to gain the metric bolt pattern?
Looking forward to the build.

java

Expedition Leader
Very cool.
IMO you could do 1/8" wall just fine, I think a ton of people over build the poop out of their trailers around here. Especially if your going 3x4.

loren85022

Explorer
You might consider extending the front cross member out to the corners of the body as you have for the rear bumper. It makes for some good Hardpoint for mounting this and that, and you can also create some protection on that corner for any impact.

Sent from my iToaster

AZ_Ray

Observer
Thanks for the idea Loren, I was going to remove the lower edge of the bed and put a slider like rail there. There's about a 3" lip below the doors. Didn't think about the front lower edge, I am going to have a box up front.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94