The "Monster's" tail build thread

AZ_Ray

Observer
Making progress

Here's my homemade custom superduty trailer axle

Here's the axle going under the frame, no leaf springfs yet. Trying to figure out total hieght needed for them.

Looks cool just the frame behind the X

But had to see it with the body on it, far from being ready for the road but it's a huge stepping stone.

BTW frame ground clearance currently is 30" and axle is 16" of clearance

AZ_Ray

Observer
Haha, guess I uploaded to many pics at the same time to 3 different forums, used to much bandwidth had to pay for photobucket. Pics can now viewed in the thread, lol

frig84

Observer
Love the idea and the build. I was just wondering how you were going to lubricate the bearings on the axle? If you were going to use axle fluid or if you were going to pack the bearings?

AZ_Ray

Observer
I am going use gear oil. I'm having
A shop build custom axle ends with pop out plugs like semi trailers have. Just so I can keep an eye on oil levels and quality.
Also going to install a drain plug for the whole axle housing.

frig84

Observer
Just curious not a bad way of building an axle. I usually have access to housings that have gone bad. Spun carrier bearings and damaged pinion areas. Thanks for the information.

AZ_Ray

Observer
Just curious not a bad way of building an axle. I usually have access to housings that have gone bad. Spun carrier bearings and damaged pinion areas. Thanks for the information.

It can only be done with a full-floating differential.

frig84

Observer
I had thought of just putting a drain port on the bottom of the tube and a fill port on top, and filling about a quarter of the way up.

AZ_Ray

Observer
The trailer should be making progress here shortly.....everyday I've been getting Bowes in the mail or the wife has been picking up parts for me. Pic will be coming soon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste