Adjusting rooftop tent for uneven parking?

bncrshr77

Hello,

I've been looking around on here at rooftop tents and the one thing I'm not sure of is if they can be adjusted/leveled if I have to park on sloping ground? I'm sure someone has came up with something?

Thanks!

libarata

Expedition Leader
Sounds like you should invent some kind of shim, and make the billions on this massive market! I am assuming that the only easy solution, other than a trailer as mentioned above, is to park on even terrain. If you feel lucky enough, you could use jacks, and stands. Not recommended though.

grimbo

Explorer
Caravanners use plastic ramps with multiple levels or dig a couple if holes with your shovel. Easier to level a vehicle out than find level ground for a tent

338971.jpg

Dusty Grin

Observer
It's really easy to just plop a couple rocks down and level the truck. I have a bubble level mounted permanently down by my shifter for this. That being said, a leveling unit for the rtt itself would be awesome. Invent one please.

Lemsteraak

Adventurer
If I can't find a super level surface to park, I take out the jack and lift up the low side. Works well in high winds too, takes some of the weight off the springs so you don't rock so much

Robert Bills

Explorer
You can use something like this:

41gQM7RN3VL._SX385_SX385_SY500_CR,0,0,385,500_PIbundle-10,TopRight,0,0_SX385_SY500_CR,0,0,385,500_SH20_.jpg

Or you can go "old skool" and carry some pieces of scrap 2x10 lumber to use as leveling blocks.

concretejungle

Adventurer
high lift jack. You need to adjust the vehicle not the tent. I use my hi-lift at whatever point of the truck is low. Just jack it up until it's level and your done.

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
As FishEH suggested, and you can rig the base of anything to level at 4 corners, the screws on an outboard motor have a flange to fit against the transom and a turn knob, same principle. I've never used an RTT but it has a base platform and I'd use a threaded flange underneath the platform with the end of the threaded rod extending through the platform to adjust it. Perhaps you could offset it at the edge of the platform with a frame under the platform. It could go to the sides and fasten on as needed too. The longer the threaded rod the more adjustment you can get. LOL, I wouldn't try 3' of travel on a 1/4" rod either. Your washer and dryer have levelers, so does the fridge and freezer, just copy the mechanism the foot could be spot welded on the rack too and use more threaded rod. Need a quick adjustment, put a fixed nut on the top of the rod and use your battery powered drill.

Last edited:

Kcdude

Adventurer
Something like this in a smaller size with a little lever welded on the nut for quick adjustments.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 25

cmj

Hi lift jack on the bumper or sliders. I usually use rocks if they are available (less work than Unmounting the hi lift).

Sent from spaaaaaaace

grimbo

Explorer
Really, just dig a couple of holes or stack some rocks, it's a lot less complicated than it needs to be

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
Rocks. Just use rocks. They're everywhere. I try to eyeball level using rocks and digging slight holes with a shovel. I only really care if the tent is level front to back. If it's not totally level left to right, I can always sleep with my head by the door.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne