Fuso FE Wiring Colours

DzlToy

Explorer
Looked through the body builder guides I have and found the diagrams but there's nothing in there about the colour of the wires. Searching for wire and colour and brake lamp, etc., returns a million matches on popular search engines.

Long story short - a friend bought an FE for a shop truck and sold the (too large) flat bed that was on it. We have made a temporary bed until a new steel one can be built by another friend at his shop. The flat bed had lights in it, so we cut the harness and pulled the loom and tape off and this is what I have:

Red body with single black hash (3 wires)

Yellow body, double red hash and red stripe (3 wires, all labeled as lamps of different kinds like van body lamp and CL lamp)

Yellow body with single red hash and red stripe (2 wires)

Yellow body with single red hash and no stripe (1 wire)

Green body with single red hash and a white stripe (1 wire)

Green body with single red hash and black stripe (1 wire)

Green body with double red hash and red stripe (1 wire) paired with solid black body with two red hashes and no stripe (1 wire)

Black body with single red hash and no stripes (2 wires)

Red body with two black hashes and a yellow stripe (2 wires)

Single black wire not in loom - god knows what this is, will see if I can trace it next time I am under the truck, which will be a few days.

Truck is 99 FE regular cab with 4D34 motor and auto trans.

I am calling a hash mark a ring around the wire like rings in a tree and a stripe is along the length of the wire.

Hopefully someone has this info or can point me to a secret decoder ring :D

Cheers

gait

Explorer
I couldn't find the key in the FE manual either. But I did find it in a "how to read this manual" section of a Fuso 4M4 Diesel engine manual.

Basically all the wires on the diagram have a circuit number and a wire diameter plus colour.

The example they use is GL05 0.85 - BrY

Which translates as circuit number GL05, wire diameter 0.85mm2 with yellow tracer on brown base.

Wire diameter of 0.5mm2 is default so is left off for those wires.

Yup, I know, mm2 is not diameter, just copying exactly what is in the manual.

Single letter colours are generally obvious,
O is orange
P is pink
R is red
V is violet
W is white
Y is yellow

Two letters,
Gr or Gy is grey
Lg is light green
Pu is purple
Sb is sky blue
B is black, Br is brown, L is blue

There's only mention of tracers (along the length of the wire) no mention of bands.

But of course its not over yet ............. the colors in the FE manual didn't match my FG wires and there were some subtle differences in the circuits.

In most circuits I found black to be used for ground (earth) though not all black wires are ground.

Shielding wires have a dashed circle across the core and are marked "shield".

Twisted wires have a solid circle across the wires.

Connectors have pin numbers next to them as well as a connector number (for physical location cross reference) and connector type. There's a chapter of the electrical section devoted to connector types which shows how the pins are numbered. Useful if its possible to break a connector and check pin volts rather than wire colours.

Grounding points are numbered.

There are also numbers to cross reference to inspection procedures.

In general I found the electrical circuit diagrams to be well documented with consistency in the numbering of circuits and components etc. For example, connectors identified on the circuit diagram can be found on the "where is located" diagram. As complete as I've ever encountered, just a pain looking it all up and getting used to all the cross references.

Apart from this bit about "how to read the manual" all the electrical stuff was in section 54 of the manual.

I discovered all this on a remote roadside in Nepal while pondering why my truck tried to set itself on fire and various electrical bits were no longer working ..... :) :) - you have my sympathy.

Another approach is to start with a black earth wire and check the volts on other wires as lights are turned on / off. Tedious. I would confirm in this way what the circuit diagram says anyway.

PS found it in the "how to read this manual" section, which is unnumbered and right at the front.

Last edited:

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
Another approach is to start with a black earth wire and check the volts on other wires as lights are turned on / off.
I got quite confused initially when using a multimeter to identify some of my truck's wiring. The reason for this confusion was due to many of the circuits in my truck being switched on the negative, not the positive. If the circuit uses a relay then there is always 12v (in my case) at the coil. Measuring the negative switch wire (the horn wire, as an example) shows it as 12v, not earth, as you might expect. Only a few millivolts cross over the coil, but it's enough to make things confusing (for me at least).
Just thought I'd mention that...

DzlToy

Explorer
Thanks for the replies gentlemen. I called a local Fuso dealer today and they were able to offer "general" assistance but their info does not necessarily match with the wires I have or what i have found online. For example dealer said black is hot lead. In my 12 volt experience, black is ground. He also said brown or tan should be ground and I have no brown wires.

Red = Brakes
Green = Right Blinker/Flasher
Yellow = Left Blinker/Flasher
Black = 12 volts

according to dealer

Thanks for the heads up on the switched negative, i was not aware of that... we will get it figured out over the holiday weekend I hope and then I can repost with results.

If anyone else has any info, I would appreciate it. Will go back through body builders guide again and see if I can make sense of what I have.

Kerry, I do not have the shop manual. If you know of a location to download or obtain one other that dealer, I would appreciate it.

Cheers

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
Just an FYI when I hooked up my trailer connector on my Fuso it uses the 5 wire system for rear, turn, brake lights so I had to use a converter to run the 'normal' 4 wire system for the trailer.

DzlToy

Explorer
mog was kind enough to send me a PDF of the manual he had via dropbox.

With the info here, a factory service manual and a volt meter, I think I am all set.

:beer: for everyone

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior