Jeep sales setting records

haven

Expedition Leader
http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2014/07/usa-20-best-selling-suvs-crossovers-june-2014.html

Jeep continues to improve its sales in 2014. The Wrangler, Grand Cherokee and Cherokee are all in the top 10 for SUV sales so far in calendar 2014. Each nameplate has sold more than 80,000 units. Also important is that the new Cherokee does not seem to be stealing sales from Wrangler or GC.

It will be interesting to see how the introduction of the 2105 Jeep Renegade subcompact SUV affects sales of leading competitors like Toyota RAV4, Honda CR-V, Nissan Rogue, and Ford Escape. In fairness, those four are substantially larger vehicles than the Renegade, so they may not be cross-shopped with the smallest Jeep.

In general, Fiat Chrysler Auto (FCA) sales are doing well. FCA has sold more than a million vehicles in USA in the first six months of 2014, up 12% from last year.

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
For Jeep itself I am happy,
even for Chrysler I am happy...
but for society in general I am in awe of how many cars get sold every year in the USA...and all the great rigs that end up crushed.
The best enviro thing we could do would be to NOT mine new metal and keep the old iron on the road with upgraded engines for emissions and such....at least that I my thought.

Still good for Jeep that they are going strong.

Zeep

Adventurer
Ford is doing very good as well. I think the increase is coming over from GM, because of all their recalls!

WrenchMonkey

Mechanical Animal
...but for society in general I am in awe of how many cars get sold every year in the USA...and all the great rigs that end up crushed.
The best enviro thing we could do would be to NOT mine new metal and keep the old iron on the road with upgraded engines for emissions and such....at least that I my thought...

Amen to that. I still hold a grudge against the political-payoff "cash for clunkers," that deliberately destroyed hundreds of thousands of perfectly functional vehicles. "Green" my foot.
Robert

haven

Expedition Leader
July was a good month to be a Jeep dealer. Total sales almost reached 60,000 vehicles, up an amazing 44% from July 2013.

camodog

Adventurer
Jeep would have one more sale to add to their books if they would just come out with the damn jkur 4 door 6 speed diesel in the us. I know its a dead horse, but just give me what I want.

Presto88

Adventurer
Jeep would have one more sale to add to their books if they would just come out with the damn jkur 4 door 6 speed diesel in the us. I know its a dead horse, but just give me what I want.

I think that they would have quite a bit more than ONE sale to add to their books if they brought the diesel over here.

haven

Expedition Leader
Since the Wrangler factory is running flat out, and selling every model they make, there is little incentive to add another engine option. Jeep puts diesels into Wranglers going to Europe, so they can build them on the existing line. But it would cost millions to build the support network for another engine option (a four cylinder diesel) in USA.

Diesel will have to wait until the re-designed Wrangler shows up in 2017. And maybe not then. Small supercharged and turbocharged gas engines are making big progress. Example: the 2.7L Ecoboost V6 that Ford is putting into the 2015 F150. It offers around 325 ft lb of torque at 2000 rpm. The Ecoboost 2.3L four cylinder puts out 300 ft lb at 2500 rpm in the Mustang.

da10A

Adventurer
If anything like the grand cherokee, the diesel option would be close to 10Gs, and only available on the highest model, which in our case would be the rubicon X model.....

haven

Expedition Leader
April 2015 was a banner month for Jeep -- more sales than any month in 6 years, maybe longer. Wrangler sales topped 18,000 for the first month ever. Grand Cherokee and Cherokee both sold above 17,000 units. Renegade added in 4200 sales. Year to date, Jeep sales are up 21% compared to last year.

Fiat Chrysler Automotive (FCA) sales are also up 20% compared to last year. The problem with FCA in general is that the profit margin on sales is low. For example, Ford made $924 million on $31 billion in revenue in the first quarter, while FCA earned $92 million, 90% less, on sales of $26.4 billion, according to Bloomberg.

This doesn't bode well for FCA in the long run, as it will affect their ability to design and manufacture new models, or add new technology to existing models. The source of the problem for FCA is Fiat's poor car and truck sales in Europe, where all manufacturers are suffering in a lackluster economy.

MTSN

Explorer
The problem with FCA in general is that the profit margin on sales is low. For example, Ford made $924 million on $31 billion in revenue in the first quarter, while FCA earned $92 million, 90% less, on sales of $26.4 billion, according to Bloomberg.

I knew their margins were tight, but 0.3% margins are crazy! It almost doesn't make sense, but it's probably due to them pouring tons of cash into R&D right now with new models that are being released. The quality and appeal of their products is getting better, so hopefully it continues and they'll be more profitable in the future. After owning 8 Jeeps dating from model year 1979 to 2001 and just purchasing a 2012 JKUR, I'm seriously impressed with the increase in quality and engineering that has occurred since Fiat has become involved.

da10A

Adventurer
I sure wouldn't mind if given the awesome sales, they would decide to hold onto the current jk model longer than planned. No reason to risk ruining a good thing.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
I friend wants to buy a new Wrangler right now and Canada-wide there's a 3-4 month waiting list...

-Dan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94