Wilderness Medicine Training

cdthiker

Meandering Idaho
Hi all,

I wanted to take a moment and let you know of some upcoming training courses in Idaho and how that might apply to you.

But first, why should I consider getting training ?

I think that it is easy to get lost in all of the planning and joy that comes with the overlanding life style. We have some amazing rigs, and some really cool gear. People on this forum go all over the world in their pursuits of this passion. Often times one of the biggest things that we do not spend enough time thinking about is our training of what to do when something goes wrong. Getting trained in being able to manage medical emergencies and how to improvise, make judgement calls and decisions is one of the most importing things we can do as back country travelers.

Sure, lots of us carry sat phones, SPOT's inreach's etc but would you know how to manage a true medical emergency if it arrived? what if that chopper or that rescue was 12 hours 2 days a week away? Would you know how to manage and take care of the situation? would you know when to pul the plug and self evac if a member of your party was suffering from a sickness?

LOTS of us have already gone out and gotten training but if you have not yet done so, or if you feel rusty you owe it to your self and those you travel with to change that situation.

I work for the Wilderness Medicine Institute of NOLS ( National Outdoor Leadership School) we offer medical training and risk management classes all over the world. we have roughly 15-16 thousand students per year and each one of those is supported and backed by the leader in outdoor education and training, NOLS. What we teach is evidence informed cutting edge education. WMI is the worlds largest wilderness medical school and consults with doctors all over the world to ensure that our protocols and standards are up to date.

We are running several classes this fall in McCall Idaho at the McCall Outdoor Science school. We have room in our Wilderness First Responder, Wilderness First Aid, and WFR-recert classes.
I will be personally teaching several of these classes and wanted to extend the invite to join this learning community to the ExPo world.

If you have been thinking about getting training this would be a great chance to do so.
McCall Idaho is a great little mountain town in the west central mountains. Lots to see and do, including thousands of miles of back roads, BLM and forrest service lands that are begging to be explored and some damn fine fly fishing to be had.

feel free to check out these sites for more info
http://www.nols.edu/wmi
http://www.uidaho.edu/cnr/moss/communityengagement/Outreach Programs

feel free to also take a look at some students in action and talking about why they choose to take their course at MOSS
and my self and another instructor talking about why MOSS is such a great location to learn and what WMI is all about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JB4DZElh6kA ( the students) if you look real close you might catch sight of one of my toyota's that was being used in a scenario.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmcHfVzpQ9Q ( the instructors )

This is by no means a plug for a commission, I get no bonus or extra pay based on students. We cap the class size at 30 and run them with 2 staff to get a good ratio for hands on learning and feedback. I wanted to throw this out there because I firmly think that the most important thing that we take with us is our knowledge. The fancy first aid kit is worthless if you dont know how to use it. The communication we carry is worthless if we call for help but do not know what to do in till help arrives.

Please feel free to PM me for more info or shoot me an email Tim_Dorsey@nols.edu ( faster response) if you have any questions about these courses or really about anything in general. I would be more then happy to help a fellow over lander out with their training questions, any what if's you might have or if you just want to talk about the topic.

Cheers,
Tim Dorsey
WMET, WMI Instuctor

cdthiker

Meandering Idaho
edit of note.

The WFR is a ten day class and is a great way to get up to 7- hours of CEU's if you need them. If you are an EMT you will be given a WEMT upon completion. topics focus in on the BLS level.

the WFA is 2.5 days and includes CPR
the WFR-R is three days. includes CPR
Cheers,

edit of note.

The WFR is a ten day class and is a great way to get up to 7- hours of CEU's if you need them. If you are an EMT you will be given a WEMT upon completion. topics focus in on the BLS level.

the WFA is 2.5 days and includes CPR
the WFR-R is three days. includes CPR
Cheers,

Took WFR this past December in GA. We actually had a guy from Northern Idaho attend our class as part of his christmas vacation. It was a great course! Took guys and gals with little to no medical experience to a higher lever than a lot of the seasoned first responders fire fighters I work with.

I was also able to get 70 of CEU's not 7! With that and a refresher course it was easy to recertify my NREMT-P.

Definitely worth the time if you are in the area!

cdthiker

Meandering Idaho
edit number two.

Sorry that was a fat thumbed typo. Yes the WFR course will give you 70 hours of CEU's through CECBEMS ( continuing education coordinating board for emergency medical services ) It will transfer seamlessly to the NREMT as well as the state offices. ( check your own state to make sure)

And, I have to agree. I regularly have students leave my class with the ability to do a much better initial assessment then their front country counterparts. The students are able to master their systems and put them to work. I have had many EMT't Doc's RN's walk away saying that their assessments has been bettered because of the focus on BLS basic life support, vs the ALS and other skills that they use all day every day.

I can personally attest to my wilderness training making me a MUCH more solid EMT working EMS in Boise.
I am fired up and passionate about helping people further their education. Thus the invite.
now if only some one can train me on how to make money pop out of thin air so i can get one of those wicked freezer fridge combos for the back of the taco to replace the aging cooler !

feel free to ask any questions even if you want to look into training else where, or at another time.
Warm Regards
TD

BrianTN

Adventurer
I've wanted to take a course like this for a while. Maybe one day I will have the time off and can travel to one.

Out of curiosity, do the CEUs count towards the continuing medical education for a physician to maintain a state medical license? I did not see a clear answer on TN medical board website re CEU. It looks like the course has to be approved by Accrediting Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) and the American Medical Association's Physician's Recognition Program or be designated by the AAFP as meeting the criteria of the AAFP's prescribed credit.

cdthiker

Meandering Idaho
The answer is yes and no. for the WFR my understanding is that if you are a member of the wilderness medical society it is an option.
per the WMI website.
Continuing Medical Education for Physicians, Physician Assistants or Nurses
Through joint providership with the Wilderness Medical Society WMI is able to offer 43 hours of category 1 CMEs for participation in the Wilderness Upgrade for Medical Professionals (WUMP) course or 15 hours of category 1 CMEs for participation in the Wilderness Medicine for the Professional Practitioner (WMPP) course. There is an additional fee of $100 and $50 respectively for medical professionals requesting CMEs. 15 hours of category 1 CMEs are also available for participating in a Wilderness Medicine Expedition (WME) at no additional charge.

As a Physician, I would encourage you to look into taking a WUMP of a WUPP ( wilderness upgrade for the medical professional ) Less time spent on BLS topics such as learning how to take BP more hands on scenario time and provider based lessons.

While we do not run as many of these classes as the WFR they are powerhouse classes with some amazing instructors.

We do run courses all over the world, since you are on the east coast take a look at Landmark Learning based in NC. They are a partner of ours and run many classes a year. Same info, just think of it as WMI southeast I personally know the director of the program and he is a excellent educator and he runs a strong education program.

We have had great luck setting the trend when it comes to ways of getting our classes out there and what credit can be received.Who knows, you might be a first !

Finally I would encourage you to give the WMI office a call and chat with them to check in and see what your options are, that way if in the feature you want to take one you already have your questions answered check out nols.edu/wmi for contact info.

best of luck feel free to contact me with any questions.

I've wanted to take a course like this for a while. Maybe one day I will have the time off and can travel to one.

Out of curiosity, do the CEUs count towards the continuing medical education for a physician to maintain a state medical license? I did not see a clear answer on TN medical board website re CEU. It looks like the course has to be approved by Accrediting Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) and the American Medical Association's Physician's Recognition Program or be designated by the AAFP as meeting the criteria of the AAFP's prescribed credit.

FJOE

Regular Dude
Another plug for training like this.

I am also a WEMT, and I can say with 100% certainty that if you take this training, pay attention, and keep your skills fresh/up to date, you will be much more of an asset to have on a trip. The types of outings and travel that this board is geared towards dictate that it's not a matter of if, but when you will come across-

1. Trauma
2. Bacterial infection
3. A medical emergency (chest pain, hypoglycemia, etc)

You owe it to yourself and those that you travel with (often family) to be prepared. Plus (not sure if NOLS does this) if you are a veteran, many courses are covered by the Post 9/11 G.I. Bill.

So why not?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles