Does anyone use the AMG for overlanding?

penguincoder

Observer
Hi guys,

I have been doing some reading and I was curious if anyone uses the AMG variant of the G-class for overlanding? I know there are a few differences between the normal and the hot-rod edition, but is that the primary reason? Is there something that I am missing?

Here is what I know that would be the most likely reasons to not use an AMG over the normal MB:

1. Larger diameter wheels limit tire selection unless you retrofit smaller wheels
  2. Additional cost -- however, in my mind you get the same fuel economy with a lot more output.
  3. The factory tow-pin bumper does not fit due to an additional oil cooler. Surely you can fab your own if you are handy enough? I have metal fabbing friends.
  4. Additional engine complexity. It's forced induction, so clearly there are more moving parts to the engine.
  5. Side exhaust.

Am I correct in assuming that if I can manage the cost to custom fit the aftermarket parts that the AMG is just as good as the MB? I haven't set my mind on one more than the other, yet, but the surge of power from the G63 I test drove is pretty exciting. If I can manage that, I think I would enjoy it immensely.

RBA

Adventurer
I believe the AMG's suspension is at least stiffer then the normal G500/G550. It may also be lowered via shorter springs. It's not by much maybe 20-30mm?

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Hi guys,

I have been doing some reading and I was curious if anyone uses the AMG variant of the G-class for overlanding? I know there are a few differences between the normal and the hot-rod edition, but is that the primary reason? Is there something that I am missing?

Here is what I know that would be the most likely reasons to not use an AMG over the normal MB:

1. Larger diameter wheels limit tire selection unless you retrofit smaller wheels
  2. Additional cost -- however, in my mind you get the same fuel economy with a lot more output.
  3. The factory tow-pin bumper does not fit due to an additional oil cooler. Surely you can fab your own if you are handy enough? I have metal fabbing friends.
  4. Additional engine complexity. It's forced induction, so clearly there are more moving parts to the engine.
  5. Side exhaust.

Am I correct in assuming that if I can manage the cost to custom fit the aftermarket parts that the AMG is just as good as the MB? I haven't set my mind on one more than the other, yet, but the surge of power from the G63 I test drove is pretty exciting. If I can manage that, I think I would enjoy it immensely.

#1 Correct. On the G500 you can drop down to 16" wheels, more tire = less rim damage on the trail.
#2 Yes, that's why I went with a G500 vs G55 NA. The G500 scoots enough for a 7000lb truck when you need it to. A LOT of money can be saved on a G500 vs G55K; lots of mod money then.
#3 I'm sure a good fab guy could make it work. Or look at G-Wagen Preserve steel front bumpers.
#4 Yes, more parts to potentially break. The typical s/c chirp when it engages. Damn fast G--do you need that much power?
#5 Yes, hangs lower than a G500 so could get damaged off pavement.

Absolutely nothing wrong with AMG's.
Why not just do up a G63?

PS--My G500 was lowered with Brabus sport susp when I bought it(~25mm yes), so G500 can have the same.

greynolds

Observer
Would fuel availability be more of a concern with the AMG? My dealer told me that mid-grade fuel is fine for my G550 and the cheap stuff would be ok if I'm in a remote area without access to mid-grade or premium fuel, I'm not sure one could get away with the same on the AMG engine.

I agree with mk216v though that the engine in the G550 has plenty of power. I'm not sure I'd feel safe stomping on the gas with a more powerful engine :).

Given the downsides of being forced to use larger wheels, etc. I think I'd be inclined to avoid the AMG for overlanding purposes.

Capo

Happy Camper
My AMG will be used for overlanding soon so I'm glad you brought it up. Based on your 1 to 5 points, this is how I look at it, happy for suggestions.

1. I had a look today at the brakes and I'm quite certain I would have to stick with 18" wheels. There's very little clearance as is. My mechanic runs 35" on 18" and that's what I'll opt for. It won't require an excessive lift and still provides a good footprint at low pressure.

2. If you already have the AMG, I say; put it to work overlanding! Mine's been doing only light offroad work so far but that ends now. It's hilarious with that much power offroad. I'll install a SwissBox, which is a cooking module which turns into a bed! It fits in the luggage compartment and can easily be removed when not overlanding.

3. I will probably install a winch in the front bumper, like on my G 400. On a custom fabbed bumper you can put two towing shackles on each side of the winch.

4. All the diesel Gs have forced induction, even the Professional. It's reliable but you can't reach in and fix it easily should it break. For that you need an early G or an early Land Rover.

5. The tail pipes need to be sawed off flush with the underbelly, for sure. Otherwise they're thrashed in a minute. Additionally, I will put sturdy rock slides under the side steps. Those side steps are cosmetic and should either be removed or reinforced.

According to my mechanic, the shocks are particularly hard. A 20mm - 30mm lift and suitable offroad springs/shocks should do the job together with 35" Mud Terrains.

Oh, it's also worth wile to install protection armour underneath.

Water (just nuff), extra petrol (just nuff), tools, equipment, etc, will be either strapped down in the middle of the cabin, or stored in slide-out drawers in the back. Minimal gear is key since it keeps the weight down and let's you enjoy spirited driving with that beasty AMG engine.

Such a setup, without a roof rack. Should make for a hilarious rally-like overlander!

Capo

Happy Camper
If you occasionally have to fill up with low octane fuel, don't apply full power and you should be ok. There will still be plenty of power. You can also carry some bottles of octane booster onboard.

penguincoder

Observer
That is pretty much how you deal with low-octane fuel in forced induction engines these days. The knock sensor will more or less mitigate any damage that could occur, just don't thrash it. I'm okay with that.

penguincoder

Observer
#1 Correct. On the G500 you can drop down to 16" wheels, more tire = less rim damage on the trail.
#2 Yes, that's why I went with a G500 vs G55 NA. The G500 scoots enough for a 7000lb truck when you need it to. A LOT of money can be saved on a G500 vs G55K; lots of mod money then.
#3 I'm sure a good fab guy could make it work. Or look at G-Wagen Preserve steel front bumpers.
#4 Yes, more parts to potentially break. The typical s/c chirp when it engages. Damn fast G--do you need that much power?
#5 Yes, hangs lower than a G500 so could get damaged off pavement.

Absolutely nothing wrong with AMG's.
Why not just do up a G63?

PS--My G500 was lowered with Brabus sport susp when I bought it(~25mm yes), so G500 can have the same.

I like your style already. I test drove a brand new G63 and it was pretty epic. I really, really enjoyed the power that it had. I don't need it, but boy do I like it. Based on my prior test drives, I am going to guess that the G550 relates to the G63 much in the same way that the LR4 relates to the SC RR in a strict power-to-weight comparison. The Range Rover had a very exciting surge on the accelerator, while the LR4 was merely sufficient.

I didn't like how the steering felt, though. It had a variable resistance that I can only attribute to it having electrically assisted power steering. I could probably learn to deal with it, though. I really did the tablet display, the fake suede headliner, the media knob (super handy thing), the seats, the room inside, and the heavy CHUNK as you shut the door or locked them.

The main reason, though? Cost. If I "settle" for one 4 years old (2010 model year), I can get one for half the cost of a new AMG. That leaves a lot of budget for protection, tires, and most importantly, ADVENTURES! However, I know that the best idea is to buy the newest truck you can afford. I am still trying to figure out a balancing act, here.

This is good insight, though. It probably is lowered and stiffer suspension. It makes a lot of sense to me, anyways.

Observer
I have a G63 that I take to Moab. It's amazing what they'll do. Mine is lifted using ORC springs and Radflo suspension. I also removed the side steps and side pipes. In addition, it makes about 750 HP compliments of Kleemann in CO Springs. This is my fourth G and they're by far my favorite vehicles.

Capo

Happy Camper
Wow, 3240!

Very nice indeed!

You are a source of inspiration! I'm off sailing for the summer but right after, I'm getting going with 35" tyres and a subtle lift on my Kompressor AMG.

Last edited:

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Awesome 3240, looks awesome!
+1 for Cory and Brandon at Kleemann USA. They are by far our favorite Mercedes power tuner; no better service/support. You must be K4 by now?

Observer
Awesome 3240, looks awesome!
+1 for Cory and Brandon at Kleemann USA. They are by far our favorite Mercedes power tuner; no better service/support. You must be K4 by now?

They don't have a K4 for the G63 yet. I have the Kleemann/HJS cat down pipes, turbo bridge pipes, and ECU tune. It would probably be considered their K3 package even though it isn't listed on the Kleemann website yet. It makes about 650 whp which is about all the diffs can handle according to Kleemann.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior