New guy with gen3 montero

Porvalsh

Observer
Have you thought about putting vinyl down instead of paint for your hood? If it works for vehicle wraps it should work for a hood..

Djbenny

Adventurer
Just curious but why are you replacing the rear cam seals? My mechanic says if they ain't leaking don't touch them.

jhill15

Explorer
Just curious but why are you replacing the rear cam seals? My mechanic says if they ain't leaking don't touch them.
Mine is a pourin, I got 2 oil leaks, the cam seal, and valve cover. If I do the cam seal myself I will save a little cash.

jhill15

Explorer
For the first time today and when I really needed it my montero let me down. It was partly my fault and partly the trucks crappy fuel gauge's fault. The compass thing showed I had 20 miles left in the tank and the gauge needle was around a half a tank when I parked it yesterday "in a downward position" also the gas light wasnt on. When I got in it this morning to help move my wifes parents move "using the monty's cargo area for small boxes" it wouldnt start. So I grabbed some gas for my shed which was about 1gallon it still wouldnt start. So with the reservation time to pick up the uhaul getting close I decided to borrow my moms ford escape....I got home around 6 this evening, hopped in the monty and it fired right up...mutha fugga!

Sooo all that being said a fuel level sensor is at the top of my list of repairs so this will never happen again!!!

nckwltn

Explorer
My fuel gauge is problematic as well. But the miles to empty number with the compass thing seems to be accurate based on how many gallons I put in when it is in double digits.

That being the case, I don't think the fuel sender is the problem. The problem is probably the gauge cluster.

There is a thread about fixing he temp gauge by re-soldering something on the back of the cluster to fix the temp gauge. I'm guessing there is another one to solder for the fuel gauge.

I've found that some of the Aussie forums have a lot of info on the gen3 that the U.S. based ones just don't have.

Those would be a good place to search

Sent from my iPhone

jhill15

Explorer
I thought that the gauge cluster might be the problem as well but in my case when I put just a few dollars in the tank or just a few gallons it doesnt register on the "miles left" on the compass. It usaully will register if I put in more than 5 gallons. Another thing I noticed is that about a week ago I filled up, the gauge needle was on a half a tank, the compass read 0 miles because the time before when I got gas it didnt register on the compass, so when I went to fill up it would only take 10gallons. The needle only went to 3/4 full but the compass went to 282 miles...

The only thing I can think of is the level sensor. The part is under $100 and about 3 hours on a Saturday so if it doesnt fix it I wouldnt be out too much.

Djbenny

Adventurer
The remaining miles will not change unless you put 8 gallons or more of fuel in tank to reset the count down. As stated from mitsubishi. But on a side note I think I will have to look into re soldering my clusters temp sender. Mine is on the fritz. I replaced the thermostat thinking it might be overheating but that didn't change anything. I know for a fact the engine isn't hot at all. So I think I may replace the temp sensor first and go from there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jhill15

Explorer
The remaining miles will not change unless you put 8 gallons or more of fuel in tank to reset the count down. As stated from mitsubishi. But on a side note I think I will have to look into re soldering my clusters temp sender. Mine is on the fritz. I replaced the thermostat thinking it might be overheating but that didn't change anything. I know for a fact the engine isn't hot at all. So I think I may replace the temp sensor first and go from there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Man thats about right, I put in around 8 gallons and it works on the compass....hmmmm, now you got me thinking. The dealer said it was the sending unit....but now idk. Daggone you djbenny for making me think lol jk. I dont have an owners manual for my rig. Is that where you read that you have to put in more than 8 gallons for the countdown to reset?

cnutco

Adventurer
Thanks. I got em at lowes and they were like $2.50 a piece...ouch! I used 4 on each but without them my shackles were leaning inward. I cant remeber what size the spacers were but I had to get them out of the specialty section. I probably couldve gotten them a little cheaper at a hardware store but the nearest ace is about 15 miles away so I factored time and gas and just went to lowes about 3 miles from house.

Do you have a photo of just the spacers?

jhill15

Explorer
Do you have a photo of just the spacers?
Here ya go, honestly I just bought washers from lowes, they were 1/2 inch which were specialty washers so I paid like $1.18...If I remember correctly for each of them. But the bolt going through the schackle is 3/4. I took it into lowes with me and sized it up with the washer.
9b9d551f66f96be02cb795abe6cb69b6.jpg

jhill15

Explorer
Its times like these I wish I were more handy with a wrench. I'm due a timing belt, water pump, pulley's, and while their in there valve cover gaskets...since they are leaking worse than a running faucet, may as well. Anywho total cost for parts and labor will be $1,265. I'm also I need of new tires so for the cheapest 265/75/16 master craft axt im looking at $675 with the spare tire included...so final cost will be $1,940....any objections lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz