New guy with gen3 montero

kbahus

Adventurer
I think the best value out there is the Cooper AT3 as tested by the Expo team, but I have not tried them. The problem is comparing apples to apples when it comes to pricing tires. Even the AT3 has a huge price differential between the different load ratings and for not much more you can get better tires. Make sure you are getting the proper load range and a proven tire when shopping. I have found that when trying to save a buck on tires it never pays off and in the long run spending an extra $200 or $300 on a top tier tire is the best plan, if you spread the cost out over the duration of use (2 or maybe 3 years) it becomes well worthwhile.

I have used Duratracs, KM2's, AT KO's and Cooper ST/Maxx tires. For daily driver street duty the Duratracs are good and what I currently have on the Montero, but slightly noisy and mpg's take a hit. If I didn't luck into an amazing deal on the Duratracs I would have went with the new K02 hands down. I have fondled them in person and they appear amazing and I believe a perfect tire for the Montero. If you watch for rebates and low prices on the internet, Discount Tire will price match, I was going to be in a set of four KO2's for under $800 out the door when I was shopping around Christmas. These guys had the best price and free shipping which Discount price matched and then there was a factory rebate on top of it: http://www.4wd.com/

jhill15

Explorer
Thanks for the link kbahus, I was checking out the difference in price when it comes to load rating and ply ,and your right there is big difference. I would have to go with the lowest ply and load rating...which is kinda lame on my part but I think they would be better than a crappy tire with a higher load rating and ply....well at least I would think, lol I could be wrong though.

jhill15

Explorer
Im stoked! I just called a tire shop that will put on 5 cooper discoveries for $655, thats mounted, balanced, new valve stems. This is what I was hoping for. I should hopefully have them on before the weekend.

Djbenny

Adventurer
Your welcome! I didn't mean to point things out like that. But yes from the manual. But I am going to get new tires soon as well and this time I will only buy 4, the spare on rear will just be used like a donut for me, it has a golden on there now and I will be switching my Bridgestone duelers for cooper ATPs. Last time I bout 5 for my gen 2 montero cost me over 1 grand for 33s BFG ATs. uploadfromtaptalk1423630154346.jpg

jhill15

Explorer
I just ordered my tires from a local shop. 5 cooper at3's $704 out the door. I'm gonna have them put on monday. After that my rig is gonna go under the knife for the timing belt, water pump, pulleys, v alve cover gaskets, spark plugs, rear cam seals

jfeust

I just ordered my tires from a local shop. 5 cooper at3's $704 out the door. I'm gonna have them put on monday. After that my rig is gonna go under the knife for the timing belt, water pump, pulleys, v alve cover gaskets, spark plugs, rear cam seals

Congrats. I have the at3's and I love them. One thing to note though is that mine were a ***** to balance and required a lot of weight. They're still not perfect (slight wobble at 75mph) so I need to find a place that does a road force balance.

Good luck.

jhill15

Explorer
Congrats. I have the at3's and I love them. One thing to note though is that mine were a ***** to balance and required a lot of weight. They're still not perfect (slight wobble at 75mph) so I need to find a place that does a road force balance.

Good luck.
Thanks man! thats kind of sucks to hear though lol. Are there only certain places that do road force balance?

jhill15

Explorer
Got my new tires put on "Cooper discoverer at3 265/75/16" and just in time for this snow storm thats hitting the east coast! So far we already have 4 inches and its not gonna stop snowing until tomorrow morning. We have a projected 10 inches of snowfall possible.

Before:
b86944983ed1e75ee5092bd68173665c.jpg
40a794600917f10dd141abd80e2bb728.jpg

After:
35aabd2c4be65ea8a017bdc8c5469f6d.jpg
0985548a8aa7b65e06f1e89ce203b158.jpg
9d3dd258d61f182b9d8c402028bcee3a.jpg

Its amazing how much difference good tires make in the snow. This past saturday I was all over the place and scared the crap out of my wife. Today I only used 4h once to get down my road. I'm very impressed!

On a side note:
I parked beside of this little beauty, a nice old school countrywagon, looked to be a 95, lifted and sitting on some nice mud terrain's
5953f1077ee0f5a556a7b5d0ac6d00c9.jpg

Oh yeah and this guy....lol i've beed there before man does that suck!
6764d3582230c137bc68affd58361ee8.jpg

Last edited:

jhill15

Explorer
Just dropped my truck off to get...

Timing belt
Water pump
Tensioners/ pulleys
Valve cover gaskets
Plugs
Rear cam seals
Oil change
Alignment. ..hopefully that solve my pulling to the right problem, but they are checking the brakes as well.

Also my rear driver tire is toe in so they are gonna adjust too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior