New guy with gen3 montero

cnutco

Adventurer
Great idea. I am still toying with the idea of adding shackle points somewhere on my ARB bumper. Right now I have my winch cable hooked to one of the recovery loops you are using.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jhill15

Explorer
Thanks man, I love the fact that there are 2 recovery points on the front. You should definitely add em to your arb that would kick *****!

montypower

Adventure Time!
Great idea. I am still toying with the idea of adding shackle points somewhere on my ARB bumper. Right now I have my winch cable hooked to one of the recovery loops you are using.

Wouldn't recommend doing that. The ARB bumper mounts are not designed for impact type pulling. The factory recovery loops work just fine.

jhill15

Explorer
I went out and bought some plastidip this morning and blacked out my hood. I thought I could do it better than some of the pics that I googled....however I think it can only be so good when using the rattle can. Anywho thats the beauty of plastidip when I get tired of it I can just peel it off.

Heres some pics
be8a66f57556f5769cce6c49b073df42.jpg

1st coat
096f3810318e55b2aea40eea8687f04c.jpg

2nd
c8c584c98b8a899b9931f399c8691248.jpg

3rd
fa317844b9e7a9a1cba64402eaf579b0.jpg

Im not sure how many coats after the 3rd coat but heres what I ended up with
f67a87b28b086e62ee6e491791a64c50.jpg

021d8852396ffe700bbd4face3167113.jpg

I think after doing this...whichx was only $15 I would pay to have a vinyl black out.

jhill15

Explorer
Thanks man.

I think i'll prob keep on there for a couple weeks but this is what it looks like in the sun...like it was spray painted lol. I found out there is a huge difference between the rattle can and using a professional sprayer.

19a20d34830af3219b64144abfacc913.jpg

Jay Ayala

Explorer
Great job jhill15, I've been considering doing the matte black hood on my blue Raider for years. I finally made the decision to go this route too. I didn't know about Plasti Dip, this is the first time I've seen what this product is capable of. Instead I ran across Duplicolor's Custom Wrap which I assume is an alternative product. I wonder what the differences are.

f58bedb4-ae5a-44e3-9f64-2403bddcf545_400.jpg

10686366_dpl_cwrc100_pri_larg.jpg

1989 Dodge Raider 3.0L
1997 Mitsubishi Montero 3.5L

jhill15

Explorer
Im not sure, I would like to give the duplicolor a shot to see the difference though.

The plasti dip is awesome but I think ive come to the conclusion that the rattle can is not supposed to be sprayed in a horizontal position or at an angle. The front of my hood where it is verticle turned out perfect as to where the top of my hood has alot of blemishes, spray lines, and an un smooth texture.

Thats the only reason I can think of as to why it didnt come out perfect all over. If I were to do it again and as a suggestion to you I would remove my hood and hang it then plastidip it.

Edit: I forgot to say thank you for the comment.

jhill15

Explorer
Nah, not really. I ended up removing the plastidip from my hood. Found out theres something going on with my rear brakes or something else back there. But mostly ive just been enjoying it!
I cant wait for some snow and take it up in the mountains to go snowboarding!

BOPOH

Explorer
Great job jhill15, I've been considering doing the matte black hood on my blue Raider for years. I finally made the decision to go this route too. I didn't know about Plasti Dip, this is the first time I've seen what this product is capable of. Instead I ran across Duplicolor's Custom Wrap which I assume is an alternative product. I wonder what the differences are.

I've used Plasti Dip on many cars and wheels and from my experience Plasti Dip is more forgiving than Dupli-Color. Last one is hard to blend together between the spray lines especially if you have to cover larger area, but its good for wheel touch ups. When i used Plasti Dip on my front bumper it was all even dried like it was professionally painted - no lines, no overspray, just nice and flat. Dupli-color was totally different, looks good but when looking at different angles you can see where spray lines. (Sorry if's really confusing) :eek:

jhill15

Explorer
Its been a while since ive updated anything on my rig and well....thats cause I havent updated anything on it...lame!!

But my credit card company just increased my limit soooo I think I may max it out!!! Jk my wife would kill me, literally lol. Im gonna have to wait for tax season.

jhill15

Explorer
Finally an update! Installed a new double din head unit today.
89ec49c4295608b8cc406e233d4016ca.jpg
ddfcccde63d0fe8595eccae9d1c3b15f.jpg
bef657d2fca486b2c938480435b37d76.jpg
after getting it in I did notice that my rear sub doesnt work. I never really payed attention to it with the stock radio but now that I have a new one I pulled the cover on the sub and nothing...im not sure if its the amp, speaker, or the metra 70-7003 harness. Ive hooked up many head units in other vehicles but none with a factory amp. The jvc manual said to hook the power antenna and factory amp into the remote wire. Power atenna works just fine but no sub. Idk...anywho I have pics of my install if anyone is interested.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles