New guy with gen3 montero

jhill15

Explorer
Even with perfect alignment... Some tires have a tendency to drift. There's a fair bit of discussion on this from Toyota guys.
Most of the sites that came up when I googled "cooper at3 pulls to the right" were threads from toyota forums. I wish I wouldve known that before I bought em lol, I wouldve went with a different tire.

jlocster

Explorer
jhill,

I have a Gen 2.5, so not completely relevant to your situation, but I had a hard time getting my truck aligned properly after I lifted it. After Firestone totally **************** the job, and refunded my money throwing in a free oil change for my trouble, I found a local Mom and Pop tire shop that has been around since the '50s. Although they didn't have the latest digital alignment system, which the bozos at Firestone had, they DID have a highly competent tech working the alignment rack. Point is, not all alignment shops are created equal. If you're not happy with the job, get your money back and find someone who can do the job right, especially if what's at stake is wearing out a set of brand new tires.

My 2 cents.

Last edited:

Djbenny

Adventurer
I replaced my rear sub a month ago. I couldn't stand the rattling anymore. I am surprised the rear sub isn't louder than it is. How is yours now that it's upgraded? Jhill and Cnutco? I will definitely replace my door speakers this summer, and do the LED lighting inside as well. Starting my own business has taken a lot of my time and funds. Ha ha. Hopefully for the better though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

plh

Explorer
jhill,
Although they didn't have the latest digital alignment system, which the bozos at Firestone had, they DID have a highly competent tech working the alignment rack. Point is, not all alignment shops are created equal.

Most of the time its the tech and not the tool as long as the tool is adequate. I did my fair share of alignments on an old Hunter rack in the late 70's early 80's. Concepts are the same as back then.

earljuic3

Adventurer
The first repair I made a few years ago when I got my 2002 was to replace the rear lower control arms. They were locked up and could not be re-aligned. Standing at the back of the truck the rear wheels visibly looked leaned in like this / \ . Replaced them with OEM arms, installed my OME lift and Cooper 285/75/16 ST MAXX. My truck tracks straight as an arrow like said above you can drive it in the rain with one finger. I do have a very slight pull to the left that is probably only noticeable to me because I drive it every day and I attribute that "drift" or pull to the tires. A little off topic but what pressure are you guys running your coopers for daily use?

Dake21

Adventurer
Mine are at 34 PSI right now, last year was 35.
I went to the dealership and made an alignement and tire rotation and it is not pulling to the right anymore. Maybe last time they rushed it.

jhill15

Explorer
jhill,

I have a Gen 2.5, so not completely relevant to your situation, but I had a hard time getting my truck aligned properly after I lifted it. After Firestone totally **************** the job, and refunded my money throwing in a free oil change for my trouble, I found a local Mom and Pop tire shop that has been around since the '50s. Although they didn't have the latest digital alignment system, which the bozos at Firestone had, they DID have a highly competent tech working the alignment rack. Point is, not all alignment shops are created equal. If you're not happy with the job, get your money back and find someone who can do the job right, especially if what's at stake is wearing out a set of brand new tires.

My 2 cents.
Thanks jlocster. The guy at c adam toney had a pretty fancy setup but he ran through it very quick...while eating a chocolate covered donut...not kidding at all lol.
I replaced my rear sub a month ago. I couldn't stand the rattling anymore. I am surprised the rear sub isn't louder than it is. How is yours now that it's upgraded? Jhill and Cnutco? I will definitely replace my door speakers this summer, and do the LED lighting inside as well. Starting my own business has taken a lot of my time and funds. Ha ha. Hopefully for the better though.

My rear sub was blown out and unhooked so I didnt have anything to compare to, but its decently loud to be all the way in the cargo area.

Most of the time its the tech and not the tool as long as the tool is adequate. I did my fair share of alignments on an old Hunter rack in the late 70's early 80's. Concepts are the same as back then.

I wonder about the guy at the dealer...he's pretty awesome and they have done amazing on other everything else.

The first repair I made a few years ago when I got my 2002 was to replace the rear lower control arms. They were locked up and could not be re-aligned. Standing at the back of the truck the rear wheels visibly looked leaned in like this / \ . Replaced them with OEM arms, installed my OME lift and Cooper 285/75/16 ST MAXX. My truck tracks straight as an arrow like said above you can drive it in the rain with one finger. I do have a very slight pull to the left that is probably only noticeable to me because I drive it every day and I attribute that "drift" or pull to the tires. A little off topic but what pressure are you guys running your coopers for daily use?

Im sure its probably me being ocd over it. Also being pessimistic about how it drives now. I was driving one of our company vans this morning and noticed it had a pull to the right. So now im gonna end up being ocd about all the vehicles I drive...lol

My tires right now are at 38psi

earljuic3

Adventurer
Thanks for the feedback on the tire pressure, I think I am going to drop mine down some I have been running mine at 40psi.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
I ride my KM2 at 65psi.

Good God man, that's ridiculous. You are riding only the crown of the tire at that pressure, and must drive like you are on rocks:
wheel.gif

cnutco

Adventurer
They are not on the crown, but they do feel harder at 65. They are rated at 80psi. I do air down off road.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
They are not on the crown, but they do feel harder at 65. They are rated at 80psi. I do air down off road.

CNUT, lets do some math. I think you are WAY over inflated, and here's why:

Based on Tire Rack.com and your comment about 80PSI, I assume you are running 32" x 16" rim LT235/85R16 120/116Q E tires. Those tires are capable of holding 3042 lbs EACH, at 80 PSI. That works out to a 12,168 lbs vehicle load. Since 65psi is 81% of 80psi (max pressure), we can assume that at 65psi, your load capacity is 9,856 lbs.

This begs the question, do you carry a spare Montero in the back of your Montero? Why on earth are you running so hard? Are you carrying 4,000 lbs of cement block in the back of your Monty?

At 35PSI, your load capacity is 5,353 lbs. According to Edmunds, the curb weight of a 3rd Gen Monty is about 4,800 lbs. This means at 35psi you could carry another 500 lbs of gear and people, on the freeway, without any issues.

Just curious, what do you air down on the trail? I run 18psi mostly. I air up to 32psi for the street, and 35-38psi on the freeway when fully loaded for a camping trip, with lots of gear onboard. Even at 18psi, I am only marginally increasing my contact patch:

Afton-Canyon-20140104_25-X3.jpg

cnutco

Adventurer
Ha! Because I believe what I read online!!! You have a great point though. I need to reconsider what or who I listen to.

plh

Explorer
I agree with nwoods. In my signature you can see I'm running my share of LT tires on Monteros. Pretty much in the same PSI range as nwoods.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne