Add me to the Mix on the New LR3 owners

Memphislex

Observer
Gave up my 97 Lexus LX470 about 2 years ago due to living in a house with no garage and needing to keep up with maintenance of an aging truck, it just wasn't happening. Just bought a new house with a garage and the wife was in need of new wheels so we opted to get her an LR3. She would occasionally drive the Landcruiser and had been wanting another SUV back int he mix. We figured the LR3 would cover day to day commuting for her as well as double as a weekend warrior for some fun out camping/ trails.

Long story short we picked up a silver 06 LR3 SE with 100k on it. So far seems to be in great physical shape. Issues found so far are no working front windshield wipers/coolant level sensor reading low/ and fuel gauge stuck at empty. (seemed like typical rover problems) Carfax showed the coolant reservoir had been replaced early in its life so i figure thats fairly common. As i've read on i see the fuel gauge is pretty prevalent as well.

On the wiper issue the fuse looks good/ rear wiper blade runs/ so im assuming wiper motors ?

Ill get some more LR3 pics up asap.

10520229_249583321909534_1869611794_n.jpg

Toyota life.
308469_881478338570_1117490153_n.jpg

196815_784094112340_1253066_n.jpg

What takes up most of my time
ls3 1997 SC300
10378273_10101047169476160_7563184508501275216_n.jpg

1185131_10100974580070910_13623_n.jpg

998858_10100664484050820_1403578102_n.jpg

unseenone

Explorer
Congratulations.

I think I'm on my 4th coolant reservoir, whatever the float is gets saturated and quits floating. There are two sets of fuses, one near the battery and behind a glove box. If you want service manuals, drop me a pm w/e-mail. Check the cowl for warping, over the cabin air intake, replace & silicone or just silicone it. Brake light switches had issues, and if it's not been changed recently, just queue it up. If the 95k service was done, and belts / tensioners changed, good, otherwise it's due. The diff fluids should be changed every 30k, not the LR suggested 75k. If you get into trouble on those, let me know. The transmission fluid is rated for 75k, so might be time to add a metal pan, and change the fluid. If it hasn't had a new compressor, at least change the air cleaner which is filled with silica beads, and eventually plugs up. There are two fuel senders and I believe the tank needs to be dropped to do it. Also there is a possibility of wiring issues, so you might want to trace the connections. If you take it in to have it serviced, have the round main fuel tank seal replaced with the newer uprated one. Insist on the one designed for Petrol, not the Diesel one that LR likes to push.

They're a fun vehicle, just a little regular maintenance required to stay ahead of issues.

Have fun..

Memphislex

Observer
Thanks for all the info!

I think once we get all settled into the new house my first line of business is checking the wiring to the sender as that seems to solve quite a few of the fuel gauge issues, at least from what i've read. Then ill move on to the joy of covering myself in fuel :D and dropping that tank. Seems like the coolant level sensor suffers a similar problem to the fuel senders as far as sinking.

I look forward to the challenge!

Going to be looking at adding sliders(open to suggestions)/rear(tire carrier would be nice) and front bumper preferably not the arb this go around. think i want something less bulky/heavy...LR3 has a great front end look.

unseenone

Explorer
I'm working on bumpers front and rear presently, along the lines of what you are asking for. Happy to send you an e-mail with pictures, drop me a PM. you can do the sliders through british4x4outfitters or lucky8llc can't go wrong with either company, they have multiple options. Seems like you might want a winch too!!

You'll probably find it hard to drift the LR, it's very sure footed, but remember before you try, it's also 6000lbs and top heavy.

Memphislex

Observer
lol I've got a friend who lives out side of town in oakland, tn who's having a party for the 4th on a few acres...hoping to put it through some early trials. We were able to get my previous vehicle a Crew Cab F250 sideways.

I'd be very interested in your bump setup/design. I've got a buddy in Alabama who is an engineer who I was also considering if he can find the time between his masters degree stuff and his own 4wheeling.

SDLR3

Observer
Welcome, I am pretty new with my LR3 as well.

Going sideways around the track surely isn't the fast way but it absolutely is the fun way!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94