Looking for Ideas on a Budget Adventure Travel Van

scottrist

Observer
Hi folks as the title says I'm looking for some input on building an adventure travel van.

I'm a raft guide on the Middle Fork of the Salmon in Idaho and have 6-7 months off a year to travel and adventure around. After a lot of thinking and a lot of research I've decided a van is the best platform. Especially if I need to do some urban camping. Plus I carry plenty of gear with me (skis, climbing gear, kayaking gear, etc) so the room would be nice.

I plan on covering A LOT of miles, and will be using this van primarily for a Central/South America trip over the next couple years. :sombrero:

I'm planning on an outfitted budget of $5000-7500. I definitely live on a tight budget so please don't recommend a Sprinter or Sportsmobile :)

So here is what I'm hoping for...

17+ MPG loaded
General reliability
Enough space to build a bed, storage, and eating area for two. Also not so big its hard to park and maneuver.
Availability of parts south of the border
I think 2wd will be fine, but something with decent clearance and/or able to fit over-sized tires
decent power
Not a huge initial investment

So far I've been admiring ford e-150's, Astro/Safari, and the older Toyota Vans (hard to find). At this point I'm mostly leaning towards the Ford e-150 after a long discussion with a couple that owned one. They had 2001 V6 and loved it, but recommended the V8 if I ever wanted to tow. I currently have an 86' Toyota pickup, so I am very used to being the slowest guy on the road. I won't lie though it would be nice to be able to go 75 sometimes.

Well I look forward to any tips you all can share with me and maybe links to other people projects that are similar to mine.

Thanks,
Scott

Jb1rd

Explorer
To clarify, $5-7.5 for the vehicle and outfitting? If so, your expectations will have to be adjusted accordingly. To get a solid road worth van you are looking at that on the low side especially considering ambitions of going South. Not to say they are not out there, its just going to take time. Best bet is to try and find a conversion style van, or see if a friend, family member, or acquaintance that is selling something. A lot to mull over. Wish I could be of more help. Keep us posted.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
More research will help you adjust some of your expectations.

$5k-$7k fully outfitted means you're into "older" equipment, for sure. You're talking about maybe a couple of thousand dollars for the base vehicle purchase.
17+ MPG isn't going to be easy on anything too big, or too old.

These two criteria alone put you into a tight spot.

Bbasso

Expedition Leader
I'm sorry to be the guy who says this, but it is completely possible to do what you wanna do under 8 grand. My current van is a 2001 E350 7.3 diesel bought it with only 112k miles,17.5 to 19.2 mpg loaded heavy- at posted speed limits.
I'm not going to tell you how little I bought it for but I was able to hit the road for less than eight grand. It's fully carpeted, insulated but not pretty, small sink with drain built in to the larger cabinet, 2nd cabinet, 26 inch TV, hammock for sleeping, Coleman camping oven- propane, propane heater, house battery, three sets of interior lighting, small tiny alcohol stoves, 15 gallons of fresh water, solar shower, because I also carry my 02 blackbird inside the van I used Rubbermaid cases to store my clothes and other gear because I need the ability to make room for loading/un. My kayak on the roof. It's far from pretty but very functional and useful interior.
check out my thread I know see some pictures of the van.

you need to be willing to jump on a plane and travel to go get the van. The likelihood of one popping up in a short distance from you is slim to none. This one popped up on Craigslist and I was on a plane in the morning 900 miles away. Its been dead reliable and I haven't even changed the oil yet! not one single thing needs to be changed replaced modified to drive his van. Clean title clean body no accidents no rust no problems. Start searching Craigslist and I guarantee you will find one.

Last edited:

ihatemybike

Explorer
I've done several multiple week long trips living in the back of an Astro. Great vans with a pretty durable drive train. Cheap to acquire and maintain. All versions are cheap to lift. The AWD vans are pretty dang capable in stock form and can be converted to true 4WD with low range without too much hassle.

GCAdventurer

Where did I put my keys??
You can't go wrong with a Dodge Grand Caravan, sure it doesn't have the best clearance or 4wd but they are inexpensive, parts are everywhere, MPG is waayyy better than a full-size and if you get one with stow and go seats (and remove them all) you have tons of space to store for gear. Build a small platform for your bed and there is still a crap load of space left over. Fwd can still get you down dirt access roads and whatnot....will you REALLY need 4wd??

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
Might check this out:
http://astrosafarivans.org/bb2/index.php

You really need to check out Herbie's threads here. Need to check out T. Low's threads, he has a very nice set up.

I'd look to a utility Astro or Safari, 98 and up, can't remember why LOL, but I looked a couple years ago.

My Safari AWD got 17+ and it was great, I traded off for a Jeep, not a good move on my part.

I moved on to a Forrester with limo tint windows, can't see inside at all with a front curtain pulled behind the driver's seat.

I agree too, the budget is pretty slim, I wouldn't head down there with a drive-off the lot 7K vehicle of any kind, but I'm older than you are, I'm sure.

Hands down, my choice would be the Astro route, if I was limited to an inexpensive van. You'll be looking at 120K+ vehicles, just make sure the timing belts were changed out and the head gasket doesn't whistle and you can go another 150K. Mine was just really dependable. I guess you're planning on a sleeping bad, camp stove, ice chest and porta-pottie.

Last edited:

coolfeet

Mark Keeler
Get a ford 7.3 power stroke diesel cargo van. If you look hard and long enough you find one in your budget.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Darwin

Explorer
I don't think you will get the MPG you are hoping for in the gas econoline, probably with the diesel, but finding one in your budget will be hard, and all will likely have over 220K miles. The diesel also will probably require some work, and work on a diesel gets expensive. I would look hard at the astro vans, I have seen some nice ones on here, but admittedly don't know much about them. Another option, would be a regular cab pick up with a cheap slide in camper, definitely not as cool as van, but you could have a bed, stove, and fridge.

BTW I use to guide up in Stanley, have a fun summer!

Wiley

Adventurer
I took my Astro from California, through Mexico, Central Am, down into Colombia. I didn't keep track of MPG but you can forget about anything good, you will most likely be loaded down and there are some nargley mountains with high elevations, at times she will be sucking wind....but its a great van for the job and has sufficient power. There was another couple who took their Astro through South America on a quick trip as well, "anywherethatswild".

Parts are made cheaply, so stuff breaks all the time, but its small annoying stuff like AC hoses deteriorating, and parts are relatively cheap to replace compared to other vehicles. They are relatively easy to work on, I had minimal wrenching experience before purchasing the van, now I do all my own work. The engines are solid and reliable. Part availability is fairly good due to part sharing, and the size of the Astro cannot be beat, it was the perfect size for just about everywhere, and somewhat low key.

I wont overload with details until you decide on a vehicle, but you can lift these cheaply to put on larger tires, I have an AWD and that was sufficient, 2wd would be fine as well, it just limits you....I do think I am going to convert to 4x4 now, but due to your finances going towards the trip I would try and get an AWD and just add a lift.

I was thinking of buying a new Transit and making a surf rig, but after a few let downs from Ford I have decided to keep the Astro for future trips south, it needs some fixing up, but was the perfect vehicle for my trip.

Last edited:

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
Look for an older van. They are cheaper and parts are more available around the world.

Like this for example (not Mine). All you'll need is some new tires. Everything else is ready!

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/cto/4541174537.html

Good find! The 318 is a very reliable engine too, watch the oil closely, it will ruin your day. I had the RAM 250 and did enjoy it with kids. You won't be getting near 17 mpg, loaded up hills will be more like 10-12, other than that the other issue is size, it's no sports car.

Still, check out the Astros, they are much cheaper to operate and maintain. Mine was not lifted, but a 2" would make a great rig. If you can pack a raft for a few days I'm sure the Astro could do it for you. Think about things like stealth camping, turning radius, I could go much further in my Safari into the woods than I could with my Ram 250, I got a good 17+ in the Ozark mtns in the Safari.

But, if mpg isn't critical and you're not really getting off the beaten path, the RAM title and keys are there, about $600 for some tires and you're going......maybe, just take some more money with you. ;)

Last edited:

scottrist

Observer
Thanks for all the great info! Im def leaning towards the astro/safari. Im very used to driving cheap rigs and wrenching on them. I actually prefer a budget rig. Heading to put in on the river for 6 days. Looking forward to reading more when i get back.

dar395

Adventurer
I fully agree with Bbasso, you're able to meet your goals, our van a 1998 GMC Sanvana 2500 with a 5.7 cast iron block with the only update on the motor being a K&M Air Intake filter gets a solid 16.2 mpg, being government surplus, low miles equiped with engine oil cooler, transmission cooler and 16,000# heavy duty brakes it makes a great roadie. Our budget being just $7,500 we,re coming in at about $5,700, it can go just about anywhere, not as pretty as some but clean and strong running. First stop I did was 3 mechanical wizards with much wisdom (first time at a van). I found that I should only look for two types of vehicles; full size Ford's or GM's; stronger than most of the small one's and parts, parts, parts no matter where ya go and the milagemay 5 14 329.JPG about the same as a smaller one. We've now done a little over 6,500 miles 17 nights and feel this is the right choice, easy to park and great on the highway's with no added cost for tolls. 7 sheets of plywood. some 1x2's lots of screws, a fan, bottle of wine a bed and hey enjoy!

ober27

Adventurer
Hey dar395, how about some pictures of your interior? I'm interested in what people are doing on a budget. Did you drink the wine before building the bed or after you were done?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles