Simple and Cheap, 4 Gallon Water Container.

WAND3R3R

Adventurer
I like to have a few gallons of water in the cab of my Tacoma for easy access. Something I can grab and take a quick drink without having to stop and go to the truck bed to access water from a larger tank. I had been using a few gallon milk jugs but they easily tip-over.

My solution........

7r55.jpg

I know, I know... it's nothing earth shattering but it works for me! The milk crate fits nicely on the floor of the passenger seat, securely holds 4 gallons and is really inexpensive. New gallon jugs of water were .69 cents each, after the initial buy... refill them for free. The milk crate was one dollar at a yard sale. I like having numerous water containers instead of one large container, because if I get a leak, I only lose a gallon, not 5 to 7 gallons like I would in a large single container. Again, I realize this is nothing earth-shattering but this might be a simple, inexpensive water solution for another thrifty traveler!

grogie

Like to Camp
Nice idea!

I have to say I do love the standard 1 gallon plastic bottles. Easy to carry, move around, get water out of and store about anywhere.

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
Works for gallon milk and tea containers too. Stacks well and makes a handy step stool.
Nice work I love the KISS method.

Crom

Expo this, expo that, exp
I employ a similar container in my Tacoma for four gallons too. It works perfectly and I see absolutely no reason to change it after years of use. As a side note, there are genuine milk crates out there which are in fact, illegal to possess if you're not in the dairy business. And there are knock offs you can find at the department store. I would recommend the generic ones.

WAND3R3R

Adventurer
Jr_Explorer....Thanks!
Zelatore........Amazingly they fit like a glove!
gorgie...........Thanks!
Mark Harley....Good idea!
K2ZJ..............I think REI sells them. ; )
Desert Dan.....I had one as a kid!
Crom.............Glad to see other smart guys on here! ; )

-AK

frans

Adventurer
I like your 4 one gallon jugs. Much better than the teeny little bottles. On a hot day I can go through alot of water

86scotty

Cynic
What? You paid for a milk crate? I love the idea but I'm still using the 20-30 I "acquired" while in college. And yes, of course, they were furniture then. Every one has some dairy stamp on it and the dairy police have never shown up. Honestly though, I really didn't know any better then. Should I return them? My garage storage is built around them!

dwdart

I've been using that system for years. I carry 24 gallons when heading down the island. Just stack and pack.
I called the drinking water vendor that supplies our local convenience stores and they only charge .50 deposit for the crate. I picked up 6 crates for $3
I thought that was a heck of a deal!

libarata

Expedition Leader
Have you tried freezing one, or even two of them to keep some cooled water via convection or whatever?

4x4junkie

Explorer
I'm always buying the twin-pack boxes of Arrowhead 2.5-gallon drinking water jugs from my local Costco, and never am without a surplus of the corrugated cardboard boxes they come in, which makes a great keeper for a combination of two 2.5-gal jugs, one 2.5-gal + two 1-gal jugs, or four 1-gal jugs (not to mention they work great for other items too :D ). One box lasts about a half-dozen to a dozen trips... After a little wear, it goes into the recycling bin and I grab another one (free) out of the garage.

Attachments

• waterbox.jpg
    waterbox.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 134

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles