On board shower

Crom

Expo this, expo that, exp
Here's how I mounted mine, Pump and exchanger. Still need to plumb the lines. I made a manifold out of alum. that will have three ball valves. Each one going to a heater and the exchanger. I can isolate any one of them if need be.

Clean Install! Ron, did you utilize the M8-1.25 mounting studs to secure the plate heat exchagner to the bracket? Also were you able to access the rear side of the fender to apply washers / nuts? I'm wondering what kind of threaded fasteners you used. I'm at that place in my project and was wondering. Thanks.

mp_tx

Observer
I recommend the Flojet 03526 144A Triplex Diaphragm 3526 Series Automatic Water System Pump, It can do 2.9 GPM, and has an automatic pressure switch built in (close shower head, pump turns off, open shower head, water pump starts back up. Works great!)

My build is very similar to the OP's.

Here it is all diagrammed out on the test board.

IMG_20141018_174420.jpg

IMG_20141019_103718.jpg

Do you have a parts list, especially for the thermostatic mixing valve? Looks very clean and easy to understand the process on your build board. Thanks for the pic.

K2ZJ

Explorer
My radiator has provisions for an oil cooler but I don't use it so I just used that as my heat exchanger. Works great, I use a pump system with a Y adapter to modulate hot and cold and only using one pump. My only problem is I ether have to pump out of a stream or lake or out of a bucket I would like to have some kind of onboard water tank.

I have an auxiliary transmission cooler so I don't use the one in the the radiator. I never thought to use it as the heater for a shower, I was going to buy one, thank you. Does it really work that well, or do you need to run it though a few times?

PlethoraOfGuns

Adventurer
Having an onboard shower is great, especially for overlanding when you may go days between towns. And if you like going out to remote areas camping for a few days, boy does a good shower make all the difference. Using the existing energy source as your vehicle engine is a solid idea, especially if that vehicle is more or less your dedicated expedition rig. Here's my setup:

image.jpg
This is a 30 plate heat exchanger that I mounted under the hood, inline before going to heater core. I think 30 and 40 are far too big. 20 would probably be perfect. But hey, better to be too hot than not hot enough.

image.jpg
Got two hoses coming up to shower, cold line that tees off before going into heat exchanger, and hot line coming from heat exchanger. They go to a thermostatic mixing valve that I had ground down the inside of the adjusting knob so it doesn't lock and you can easily adjust temperature during shower.

image.jpg
Had to add a shower curtain of course, the ladies wouldn't have it any other way. I just bent some 1/2" EMT with a pipe bender and it sits into two pipe straps. I found a 9' shower curtain on Amazon. Apparently, most shower curtains are only 6'.

image.jpg
I store the curtain rod on the roof around the spare tire.

image.jpg
Here is the on demand pump and hoses. The way it is setup I can can pump water out of or into the onboard 18 gallon tank under truck or the 2 or 3 5 gallon Specter cans on the back. I also have a longer hose and large particle filter for pumping water out of creeks or lakes or whatever. Inline with the pump is a smaller particle filter.

image.jpg
image.jpg
This is the ABS tank for onboard water storage. Since it is suspended from underneath the bes of the truck, I welded up an aluminum cradle from scrap laying around the shop.

image.jpg
Water coming from heat exchanger was about 160 degrees, so the mixing valve was a must. After mixing balve, the water was a nice 111 degrees.

image.jpg
Boy, it hits the spot on those below freezing days...

image.jpg
And it really helps women tolerate coming on our crazy adventures!

Crom

Expo this, expo that, exp
Do you have a parts list, especially for the thermostatic mixing valve? Looks very clean and easy to understand the process on your build board. Thanks for the pic.

No parts list. I got everything off Amazon, except for the thermostatic mixing valve, which I think I got from ebay. Mine is a Honeywell AM100-1LF, which has a higher operating range:70 F to 145 F.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz