Best non-electric cooler not a Yeti or Pelican?

Ryan Matthes

Adventurer and Explorer
Trying to see what the best true cooler is out there. I am getting an ARB this fall, but want the versatility of something smaller for day trips. Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Utah KJ

Free State of Florida
So you want a recommendation for the best cooler that doesn't include the best cooler?

Ramjet

Explorer
Check out Brute Coolers. Engel makes some fairly nice ones as well. Garret Overland carries Brute and can get them to you pretty quick.

Honu

lost on the mainland
Do you mean best cheaper cooler ? Not the expensive rotomolded bear proof ones ?

If so I would say Coleman extreme
SAMs club has a nice rotomolded igloo about 54 quart or so for $199

FlyJester

Adventurer
I like my Coleman Extreme as well, however, it is the "marine" style. I compared the regular and the marine when i was making my purchase and the walls of the marine are thicker.

Joe917

Explorer
If you are talking about "cooler" as in add ice and beer/food, check out AO Coolers, soft sides,packs easy and super strong. I use mine also as an airline carry on with my dive photo gear. Nobody gives it a second glance.

mtnkid85

Adventurer
Another one worth checking is grizzly coolers. They're made in the USA and they currently have a few different sizes on there clearance page.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

grogie

Like to Camp
I like my Coleman Extreme as well, however, it is the "marine" style. I compared the regular and the marine when i was making my purchase and the walls of the marine are thicker.

I agree... the marine is a good cooler in terms or price for performance, and the stainless steel hinge is also a nice addition.

Rugy

Yeti coolers is what we have used since 2006. Have three, two of the 125s and a Roadie.
Two large ones used for camping for a full week at a time. Enough for five of us.
Using the small one for road trips named Roadie. Now just the two of us traveling.
Have used them with ice blocks and dry ice with great results.
The two liter pop bottles with frozen water work great, when thawed great for drinking water.

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
We just took an Igloo Super Tough STX, the 54qt green version with the orange colored interior, on a three day Mojave Road excursion in April and were very pleased with the performance. It kept ice for the three days, with day temps in the mid nineties.

coloradowalt

Have had an Icey Tek on the boat for seven years. We stand and sit on it constantly. Keeps ice well. I would buy another, but doubt I will ever wear this one out.

86scotty

Cynic
I can't help you with the best, but I can possibly help you eliminate the worst. It is a Coleman Extreme (not marine, I don't think). My beer and Dr. Pepper was kicked out of the fridge for bullying so I bought a smallish Coleman Extreme just for drinks. It sucks. Don't buy one. I add a bag of ice to it everyday and it's gone the next no matter how I store it or how many times it is opened and closed.

SWITAWI

Doesn't Get Out Enough
I can't help you with the best, but I can possibly help you eliminate the worst. It is a Coleman Extreme (not marine, I don't think). My beer and Dr. Pepper was kicked out of the fridge for bullying so I bought a smallish Coleman Extreme just for drinks. It sucks. Don't buy one. I add a bag of ice to it everyday and it's gone the next no matter how I store it or how many times it is opened and closed.

We have a couple of 5-6yr old 70qt Xtremes at our office we use for functions and I was surprised to find their lids have insulation in them. They actually work pretty well.

However, I cannot find a Coleman Xtreme in stores now with an insulated lid and that makes a big difference just from my experience with them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94