Should I insulate the "cabinet" around this RV style Norcold?

dbreid

Adventurer
All,
I have always run a Norcold/Engel/ARB style fridge (40), and I had good results with the transit bag. Keeping the sun off the fridge was always a good thing, and the insulation of the transit bag helped muffle the motor sound, and seemed to make the fridge run less (I was hardly scientific about it, but it seemed to help).

Now that I have a small baby, I am reconfiguring the interior of my truck, and I am moving to a Norcold de0751bb. It is essentially a similar motor (it is not an absorption) to all the others, but with the swing out door, it makes it easier for my wife to access stuff and lets me build a cabinet for better space use.

Anyway, this post is not about what fridge. It is about what the best way to insulate (if at all) the "cabinet" I mount the fridge in.

Here's pictures of the fridge:

1043488-2.jpg

1043488-3.jpg

It is a flush mount style, meaning I will build it in. I am planning to vent the back side of the "cabinet" I put it in, but should I build the cabinet a little bigger, and use some reflectix in there? Dynamat? My goals are:

-help the fridge work efficiently
-help the fridge do less work (ie keep the cabinet cool)
-Keep sound to a minimum
-Allow access to the back for cleaning, vacuuming off the coils, etc.

Anyone done this? Am I overthinking it?

-Dan

southpier

Expedition Leader
rigid foam around sides & top would probably not hurt.

blocking free air flow around the back would shorten compressor life.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne