Decided to go with 2m.. but need help choosing..

Longrange308

Adventurer
So I have my list narrowed down.. Im on a serious budget due to a recent loss of most of my income, so I am really leaning towards the Kenwood. They are a good brand with all other electronics they produce and Im sure a HAM is no exception.

So, with that being said, here is the list. Please help me choose!

ICOM IC-2300H
http://www.hamradio.com/detail.cfm?pid=H0-011532 ($189.95)

Kenwood TM-281A
http://www.hamradio.com/detail.cfm?pid=H0-011362 (137.95)

YAESU FT-1900R
http://www.hamradio.com/detail.cfm?pid=H0-010077 ($159.95)

YAESU FT-2900R
http://www.hamradio.com/detail.cfm?pid=H0-010078 ($189.95)

THANKS!

Frdmskr

Adventurer
Ease of use and reliability I can say kenwood. For reliability but menus that will take learning go with Yaesu. For cutting edge and fiddling do Icom.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AndrewP

Explorer
I've always been a Yaesu guy (I have 3 2800s), but last year got a Kenwood for a specific trip and I think I'm converted. If you are price sensitive, it's the obvious choice on your list! All of these are excellent radios.

GigaParts has the Yaesu for 2900 for $147 and the Kenwood for $137

Longrange308

Adventurer
Looks like the Kenwood is going to be my next purchase. I figure this coupled with my Yaesu VX-7R will make a great back country combo.

Now I just need to figure out an antenna setup.. I don't want something too big, and I know I want an NMO mount. Im thinking about mounting it in the center front under the plastic air-dam (will stick up over a few inches) on my Xterra. I figure this will protect the antenna the best from getting battered by cargo and junk.

Longrange308

Adventurer
The antenna and its placement is much more important then the radio itself.

So, how would through the roof with an NMO mount front and center through the plastic air dam fare? It would still be exposed up and over the overall height of the air dam, and Im sure its not 100% ideal, but I do want to be able to use the roof for cargo and I want the antenna to be protected.

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
So, how would through the roof with an NMO mount front and center through the plastic air dam fare? It would still be exposed up and over the overall height of the air dam, and Im sure its not 100% ideal, but I do want to be able to use the roof for cargo and I want the antenna to be protected.

Im a beginner myself and learning from my mistakes. Im finding the best place is in the center of your rig at the highest point. How ever close you can get to that with your set up with offer the best performance with most antennas. Your set up sounds very good but again Im a beginner.

Sorry not much help with your question

AndrewP

Explorer
Larsen NMO150 5/8 wave mounted through the roof will be awesome. Close to the center if possible will be ideal but it isn't that critical.

You mentioned money is a problem right now, so here's a thought. You could do the antenna now. Run your hand held into the hard mounted antenna (you may need an adapter or short coax adapter to the SO239 on the end of the coax). That avoids the purchase of a new radio and for most uses will work pretty darn well. Then when cash allows, add a mounted mobile radio.

Longrange308

Adventurer
Larsen NMO150 5/8 wave mounted through the roof will be awesome. Close to the center if possible will be ideal but it isn't that critical.

You mentioned money is a problem right now, so here's a thought. You could do the antenna now. Run your hand held into the hard mounted antenna (you may need an adapter or short coax adapter to the SO239 on the end of the coax). That avoids the purchase of a new radio and for most uses will work pretty darn well. Then when cash allows, add a mounted mobile radio.

I've thought about this solution actually, but with the price of everything to run the handheld (external mic, antenna adapter, power supply, etc) it comes out pretty close to the same cost as the Kenwood with a decent antenna.. That and I lose the ability to use the truck as a base station in conjunction with the handheld while out on hunting and camping trips.

mbuckner

Adventurer
I am partial to Kenwood products .... however, they are all good ... read the specs and
options and determine which one is going to meet your requirements and cost target ...

Good luck with your choice ......

Mike

Longrange308

Adventurer
I made the choice an spiced up the kenwood and a mag mount with nmo style antenna base, and a 2' whip.

Now I just need to install the thing. I did get it powered up on the bench though. Talk about no frills. But its rugged and easy to use. It's exactly what I wanted!

image by LongRangePro, on Flickr

Last edited:

Dougherty03

Like what has been said before, get a 5/8 wave antenna such as the Larsen and mount it as high and central as you can. I use the Kenwood 281 in my Jeep and its great. Advantages are its rock solid, great audio, and simple while driving. Cons are only two power settings and it doesn't have a squelch knob. I regret nothing with my purchase.

AndrewP

Explorer
Like what has been said before, get a 5/8 wave antenna such as the Larsen and mount it as high and central as you can. I use the Kenwood 281 in my Jeep and its great. Advantages are its rock solid, great audio, and simple while driving. Cons are only two power settings and it doesn't have a squelch knob. I regret nothing with my purchase.

I re-programed one of the buttons to go instantly to squelch and have not missed a squelch button like I thought I would.

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
Im finding the best place is in the center of your rig at the highest point. How ever close you can get to that with your set up with offer the best performance with most antennas.
It is the best placed for performance, but in the woods your antenna won't last long there.

Longrange308

Adventurer
Well, here it is installed. It doesn't stick up too much over the roof line and it has a spring in it to help it last if it contacts a branch..

Location.

Untitled by LongRangePro, on Flickr

I used an NMO base mag mount, so I can drill a hole later and go true NMO, but I'm not totally committed now. Wanted it to be inconspicuous so I put it dead center in the roof but partially under the fairing. I also lost zero storage up here too!

I wanted to hide the unit in one of the glove boxes, but that didn't work, so this was my second choice and I actually think it's the best, with the exception of under a single din radio in the stock double din radio location.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior