Need opinions, WK vs Truck?

bustacrab

So, I'm in a bit of a predicament.
I currently own both a 2005 WK limited with 53k miles. Leather, DVD, Nav, 5.7 Hemi, etc...

I also own a 2004 f150 FX4 with 92k miles. 5.4L 3 valve, lots of extended maintenance already done, exhaust, edge programmer, K&N FI performance kit.

I have to get rid of one really soon because I'm moving to San Diego. I'm not sure which to keep.

superbuickguy

Explorer
I'd keep the Dodge - that 3 valve mod motor is a problem child.... or, let me ask another way, how often have you replaced the heads after you spit out a spark plug? (not being mean, but those heads are either being replaced, needing replacement or going to be replaced)

bustacrab

I actually had a bunch of work done around 55k miles that was under warranty. I don't remember everything that was replaced but I do remember a cracked exhaust manifold and cam phasers. I had the plugs done last year. This model 5.4L is after the ejecting issues were corrected so no issues there like my expedition had.

Honestly, I'm a little emotionally attached to the truck since I've had it for about 5 years. We've had the Jeep for less than a year. If I kept it, I would want to modify it pretty extensively.

I own both outright and payments are not a weighing point as to which one to keep.

surlydiesel

Adventurer
I'm a truck guy. I find them more useful overall than an SUV. I also own a truck and a Grand and I'd sell the Jeep in a hot second. They are a dime a dozen and I can do so much more with the truck. I guess I'm also not a Chrysler fan so that plays into my advice to you. Figured I should be honest.

-jorge

east_tn_81

Adventurer
I say keep the one that is the most versatile. The 5.4 is not a problem child with regular maintenance it runs great. Just like most motors.

cdthiker

Meandering Idaho
another vote for the truck if for no other reason then three times a year you are going to be asking to borrow some ones truck because you need a truck for truck things. Cant move a yard of dirt with the jeep.....

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I'm a truck fan too, but not an F150 fan. If you have a NEED for a half ton truck (ie: moving a big bag of feathers around) then keep the truck. If you just want to go into the wilds once in a while, the Jeep is probably more comfortable for day to day use. Both are "dime a dozen" type rigs when it comes right down to it, but if one gets significantly better fuel economy that could tip the balance one way or the other too.

AFBronco235

Crew Chief
Another vote for the truck, and I am a ford fan, but its has more to do with how you're gonna use it. Like mentioned above, if you need a truck, then keep it. If you know for a fact that you'll never need it, keep the jeep. I'm pretty sure the truck gets equal, if not better, gas mileage than the jeep anyways. Plus, parts are cheaper on the truck and easier to fix.

Oh, and since you're moving, how much stuff can you cram into the jeep compared to the truck?

82fb

Adventurer
5.4's also have a problem with crankshaft end clearance. I forget the specifics right now, but oil pressure starts deteriorating and then, boom.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Truck.

I'll never go back to a Jeep. Jeeps are about as useful as a motorcycle, 4wheeler, or a sportscar. Can't tow jack, never any room, can't haul anything. It'll go anywhere, but if you have to bring something with you, it's useless. Tent camping, it's great.

I loved my Jeep, but it was a 4wd car, and was completely useless for my lifestyle. I need to tow trailers and haul motorcycles. Sometimes at the same time. Couldn't even go to a field and fly a model airplane with the Jeep.

Most of my cargo get tossed into a 55 gallon Stanley box. I can fit 8 of those boxes in a long bed, 6 in a short bed. Not sure if even 1 will fit in a Jeep. 0 would fit in my Jeep YJ.

Bikemobile

Adventurer
He is referring to a Jeep grand cherokee WK. Not a wrangler. Lots of room, the hemi can haul anything. In San Diego? I would keep the jeep, easier to park depending on where you live. It sounds like you are attached to the ford. I'm attached to my jeep so I understand.

rallygabe

Observer
OP says nothing about what you plan an using the vehicle for.
If you like to adventure I would keep the Jeep- I found my WK to be infinitely better than any pickup I have owned off-road. It could tow my boat without breaking a sweat (this had the 4.7L mercedes leftover engine, not the old 4.7).
But now that I am more "settled" in life I find that I need the truck for things like: yard work, house maintenance, carrying motorcycles, towing more boats, hauling more lumber, blah blah blah.
This question is WAY to vague to get a useful answer, IMHO. give us more info and you will get a more pointed answer. :)

cheers!

bustacrab

He is referring to a Jeep grand cherokee WK. Not a wrangler. Lots of room, the hemi can haul anything. In San Diego? I would keep the jeep, easier to park depending on where you live. It sounds like you are attached to the ford. I'm attached to my jeep so I understand.

Yeah it has the 5.7. Its a beast. I really enjoy it and it would be way easier to park. I have the supercab on my f150 and its a pain in the *** with parking lots because of the half doors.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles