Along Going to the Sun Road
DSCF6705.jpg
DSCF6715.jpg
DSCF6761.jpg
Our first snow encounter of the trip
DSCF6774.jpg
Prior to this trip, Mrs. Doors had never crossed the western divide on land. I think she's crossed it about 8 times now.
DSCF6776.jpg
DSCF6794.jpg
More road construction

4x4x4doors

Explorer
From Athabasca to Dawson Creek
Gotta do some housekeeping. Clothes go in a 5 gallon bucket with soapy water and a gamma seal lid, ride in the back of the truck for a day, get rinsed and then hang in the truck until dry.
DSCF6842.jpg
It's summer, there's gonna be construction to deal with.
DSCF6858.jpg
So it begins. Smoke and ash in the sky from the BC wildfires.
DSCF6881.jpg
From 2014:
DSCF6887.jpg
And how it looked c.1953 when my folks passed through:
Scan0010.jpg

4x4x4doors

Explorer
Dawson Creek to Toad River
Parts of the Old Highway still exist
DSCF6896.jpg
DSCF6895.jpg
DSCF6917.jpg
Clearing a rock slide
DSCF6927.jpg
DSCF6938.jpg
Elk in the processing of changing coats
DSCF6950.jpg
DSCF6943.jpg
Cabin View out the back window. We were told the specks in the field were elk
DSCF6961.jpg
The cabin
DSCF6952.jpg
The main lodge and storefront/restaurant
DSCF6968.jpg

4x4x4doors

Explorer
Toad River to Jade City (Jade City was a detour to see the ghost town of Cassiar and the jade store)
Caps nailed to the ceiling supposedly started as a joke between two previous owners but its caught on.
DSCF6975.jpg
DSCF7002.jpg
Bison sighting
DSCF7008.jpg
A bit further down the road there were more.
DSCF7033.jpg
Looks can be deceiving. This guy was happily munching plants some distance away and couldn't have cared less that we were taking pictures with a zoom
DSCF7035.jpg
The sign village at Watson Lake
DSCF7040.jpg

Lecoq

Explorer
Awesome read so far! I'm hoping you're enjoying every minute of it. Definitely something you don't get to do often in life.

theburtseoni

Observer
Amazing that your folks took that Spartan trailer north with a Packard and back with the Chevy pickup. People nowdays would not think of heading north to Alaska (on a much better highway today) without all the comforts that modern vehicles and RVs provide. I am enjoying your blog!

4x4x4doors

Explorer
DSCF7060.jpg
Longest open deck bridge on the Alaska Highway — at Tetlin, Alaska.
DSCF7054.jpg
Rainy, foggy cool morning — at Jade City BC
DSCF7069.jpg
DSCF7077.jpg

4x4x4doors

Explorer
White Horse to Destruction Bay

DSCF7107.jpg
DSCF7126.jpg
DSCF7135.jpg
Saw this pair who had bicycled from Texas. Didn't get a chance to talk to them much. Believed they camped on the lake shore. We passed them on the highway shortly after getting underway the next morning.
DSCF7169.jpg
DSCF7178.jpg

4x4x4doors

Explorer
DSCF7211.jpg
The moose almost posed for us. Saw him as we drove by and hooked a Uturn where he came out of the trees again and stood for 3-4 pictures before heading back into the woods again. Yippee!

DSCF7220.jpg
One of the remaining sections of the old highway.
DSCF7226.jpg
DSCF7231.jpg
Had a flat as we exited the construction zone. Put on one of the spares and kept going.
DSCF7234.jpg
DSCF7236.jpg
DSCF7237.jpg
We posed by the Alaska sign. Wanted to do the same pic as the parents did but they've moved the signs and the customs house in the 1970s. It had been in Tok AK where we stayed that night. The old Customs House had been torn down and replaced with a police station.

4x4x4doors

Explorer
Fairbanks again today. Visited the Large Animal Research Station at Univ of Alaska Fairbanks and the Museum of the North on campus.
DSCF7346.jpg
Muskox
DSCF7359.jpg
When a male muskox wants to get somewhere (like during mating season), you're gonna need to get out of the way.
DSCF7372.jpg
Caribou. The difference in a caribou and a reindeer is domestication
DSCF7385.jpg
Only brown bear we saw the entire trip. It was news to me that brown bear and grizzly are the same thing. Somehow I was thinking two different animals.
DSCF7401.jpg
Woolly mammoth fossil
DSCF7408.jpg
Intricate beadwork
DSCF7430.jpg
Some of you up north may take these for granted but it truly fascinated Mrs. Doors. When you pay for a parking space, it comes with an electrical source. This is significant when its -40F and you want your car to start again when you come out.
DSCF7431.jpg
Guess where we had breakfast? The Northern Most Denny's in the World!
(we are easily amused, I know)
The Museum of the North is on our list of "places that we enjoyed more than we expected".

4x4x4doors

Explorer
Went to Denali today. Never saw Mt. McKinley. There were numerous spots where you could sometimes see it "weather permitting" but we never got our weather permits. ;) I've since been told that the percentage of folks who do actually see it is surprisingly low.
DSCF7437.jpg
DSCF7438.jpg
DSCF7454.jpg
DSCF7480.jpg
Got to see and pet the sled dogs. Demo of them pulling the sled on wheels. All voice commands.
DSCF7494.jpg
Huge THANK YOU to Blind Cleric for recommending the Denali Grizzly Bear Cabins and Campgrounds.

4x4x4doors

Explorer
Denali to Anchorage via Hatcher Pass (Independence Mine State Park)
DSCF7505s.jpg
Denali area
DSCF7526s.jpg
DSCF7508s.jpg
Gotta love a navigator who suggests we take a shortcut on these roads.
DSCF7533s.jpg
DSCF7568s.jpg
DSCF7569s.jpg
DSCF7582s.jpg
Remains of Independence Mine

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94