Trying to set up my Cherokee to run a fridge off solar.

65BAJA

Da Nu Guy
You have a lot of solar for a relatively small battery bank. Based on my experience with my truck, I would recommend that you consider replacing you manual switch, which you will forget to connect or disconnect, with an automatic switch, such as this one. http://www.bluesea.com/products/7620/ML-ACR_Automatic_Charging_Relay_-_12V_DC_500A

This will have the added benefit of allowing your solar kit to charge and maintain your starter batteries. You have so much solar, why waste it?

All the best!

I am thinking about a third battery. The space the batteries are sitting in, there is just enough room for a third. The box I am building for them will be built with a third in mind just in case. Three will give me 225AH total. That should be about three days of reserve (to 50% on the batteries) during bad weather.

Thanks for the suggestion on the auto switch. After killing my first yellow top I have been pretty prudent about the boat switch with these batteries. I like the K.I.S.S. principle too. If the auto switches work good though I'm always open to improving my system.

65BAJA

Da Nu Guy
I sorta ran out of real estate on the board. I am going to tear it apart and redo it in a vertical orientation. IMG_1268.jpg

CaliMobber

Adventurer
I love it man. you have a system most RV would be jealous of haha. Even on a cloudy day your solar will make good amount of power.

handybob is the man! glad you did your homework. I read ever inch of his site when my friend told me about it.

65BAJA

Da Nu Guy
Thanks!

The system is up and running now. The wiring layout didn't turn out as clean as I wanted it so I might redo some of it this weekend. My ARB fridge has been running off the system for a week now. It usually starts the day in the high 80 percentile for state of charge when I leave for work in the morning. It is always 100% when I get home. As a test I ran my espresso machine off the inverter one morning. :coffee: It pulls ~95amps @12V. :Wow1: I pulled three shots and steamed for three minutes. The house batteries were at 74% when I was done. By the time I got home they were back up to 100%.

It's first outing will be next weekend. Going up to Loon Lake for Cantina For The Con. 3 days and nights. We will see how it does.

CaliMobber

Adventurer
yea my buddy has a system very simalar to yours on his trailer. main diff is he has trojan batteries. camping for a week he always had the arb fridge on, used a heated blanket every night, brewed up a small pot of coffee everyday and used the nights a bunch. even with 2 trojans drained to 50% the solar would bring them back up by around noon

wrcsixeight

Adventurer
Please note that when devices indicate 100% state of charge, they are wrong 99% of the time. Those with flooded batteries can test specific gravity, but AGMs are different. for example regarding 100%, my solar charge controller, when it requires less than 1 amp to hold 14.9v, it considers the battery 100%.

Now my alternator does 14.9, and after several minutes feeding a depleted battery 35 to 75 amps it will get the battery upto 14.9, at which point the solar controller limits current, below that 1 amp threshold, and now my battery monitor claims the battery is 100%, yet it might still be in the 65% range.

YOur batteries are wired in an imbalanced manner. You should have the (+) hooked to one battery and the (-) to the other battery. In your current set up the 'closer' battery will work harder than the more distant, and it will yield reduced battery life and performance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBNoIOOl37I&list=UUoPqTkOluQsuu3RpGnxVwFw&index=10

65BAJA

Da Nu Guy
YOur batteries are wired in an imbalanced manner. You should have the (+) hooked to one battery and the (-) to the other battery. In your current set up the 'closer' battery will work harder than the more distant, and it will yield reduced battery life and performance.

Actually I do have it wired + of Batt1 to - of Batt2.

CaliMobber

Adventurer
I know your kidding about the + on one batt to - on the other as that would give you 24v. + to the + and - to the - for 12v.

And I see your at 12.6 on meter haha

He has all high quality product and an amp flow meter. when it says 100% it will be at 100%, It monitors ever amp leaving the battery and tells you when all those amps have returned.

System still looking good buddy!

65BAJA

Da Nu Guy
I have three batteries. The three batteries are all paralleled to each other. The inverter/charger - lead is connected to the - of batt 1. The charger + lead is connected to the + of Batt 3. Thusly the charger is charging across a BIG 12V bank of three batteries.

CaliMobber

Adventurer
ahh, ok that makes more sense. So have you just left it running continuously yet? batteries always back full each day?

65BAJA

Da Nu Guy
The fridge has been plugged in for about three weeks now I think. I don't always have the solar hooked up though. Some times I plug in the inverter charger when I get home from work when I know I'm going to be driving it the next day. I only set up the solar when the Jeep is going to be sitting and I'm riding the bike instead.

I did use it to go camping last weekend. I ran my ~900watt coffee maker for 1/2 ish hour in the morning for three days and of course the fridge was plugged in the whole time. It got down to 86% one morning after running the coffee machine but by the end of the day it was back up to 100%.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior