Krytos' TrailRunner build thread - 2014 4Runner Trail Edition

Krytos

Adventurer
So after owning only American cars, two Jeep Wranglers among them, I decided it was time for a change. My last particular Jeep had racked up an impressive repair resume, from going through five (5) radiators in three (3) months, to having oil pump drive assembly issues (Thanks for the distributorless engine, Jeep!), this particular Jeep had finally worn out its welcome. It was an awesome Jeep, but it wasn't a very good car. I needed something more reliable, something a bit more comfortable as well.
D6joEx2.jpg
I'll miss its capability on the trails, as it had lockers front and rear, and a 4-1 transfer case, as well as 4.56 gears, full cage, and 35in mud terrains, but I wont miss wondering if I could make it where I was going when I started my drive.

A good friend of mine had a cousin who worked as a sales manager at Jim Barkley Toyota in Asheville, North Carolina, so I decided to take the plunge and pick one up. After initially wanting a Dual Cab Short Bed Tacoma, I settled on a Magnetic Grey metallic Trail Edition 4Runner, with KDSS. I can't say enough good things about the buying experience, as I picked it up for a few grand less than any dealer in Florida had it, and I was out of there in half an hour.
AmFYuin.jpg

The same day I bought it, I drove it 840 miles from Asheville, NC to Miami, FL, stopping off in Pisgah National Forest to see a few of the waterfalls and enjoy the views.
2kvha0v.jpg

I didn't waste much time before I was able to put it through its paces in Hernando, Florida.
Sg18gpd.jpg

The camping was great and there was some pretty varied wheeling, from some extreme stuff for the Jeeps of the group, to some mellow stuff for the stock, plastic bumpered, highway tired, 4Runner of the group.
no4Z2wB.jpg

rIFzfBx.jpg

As you can see, there was no shortage of built rigs, from an ARB's Ultimate Adventure rig to a Fully Built Land Cruiser 200 Series; as a result, mine is hard to miss.:rolleyes:
cgpiek1.jpg

I got to mess around some more at the grand opening of Autobruder down in Miami. Anyone looking for expedition or offroad stuff should check them out @ www.Autobruder.com
VPT2P44.jpg

Of course, this thing is really impressive. Wheels pretty well considering it's stock and then jumps on the highway at 80 miles per hour a minute later. I'm sold!

Other than a set of WeatherTech floormats, it remains bone-stock. Now the battle is deciding which way to go with it.

UPGRADE PATH
I have a pretty long list of pending upgrades including:
Drawers - Outback/ARB
Fridge - IndelB or ARB
Roofrack - Baja or Eezi-Awn
Front bumper - Shrockworks or ARB
Sliders - BudBuilt or Shrockworks
Skids - ARB, BudBuilt, or RCI
Rear bumper - Probably CBI
Suspension - OME, Icon, or a Frankenlift
Tires - 255/80R17 Coopers or 285/70R17 BFG A/T?

I'll keep this thread updated as things come together, but I'm already really impressed with this thing's performance.

Krytos

Adventurer
Got my hands on a few more pics of the wheeling trip I took a few weeks ago.

My friend has a pretty built 200 Series that he put through it's paces.
qVZYRFm.jpg

5zNCCFe.jpg

Mall-crawl climb. (Still has the temporary tag!)
I3hGunZ.jpg

3OJmwhY.jpg

In spite of having inadvertently switched ATRAC off, the rear locker made the climb extremely easy...even with the highway terrain tires at 32psi.

And descent.
KRF57XL.jpg

This was a tight left hand descent, but once again, ATRAC and the rear locker made it relatively easy.
aVmR4Th.jpg

DzOYVjp.jpg

qHqMlRf.jpg

There's also some video floating around that I'll try to add, all in all it was a nice trip with enough tame offroading to not do too much damage to the truck.

mike2100

Observer
Congrats on the truck purchase! It looks great in that color. Seems to have good traction in that wet dirt (can't really call it mud haha).

Belcher

Great choice on vehicles.....I have one just like it....same color and everything. You need to head back to Asheville in October for the Overland Expo.:)

Krytos

Adventurer
Update: February 16th 2015

So I think a plan is just a list of things that never happen (thanks, Way of the Gun) and nowhere is that more evident than in this build. I got a really really ridiculously good deal (did I mention how good the deal was?) on sliders and skids from a friend who traded in his 4Runner and bought an 80 Series. I was able to snag ARB (KDSS) Skids and Shrockworks Sliders for just north of $400. As a result, I had to jump on it.

I also picked up an OME Lift and throw it on, and I rounded everything out by adding a set of 285/70R17 KM2s with some spacers to run them on my stock wheels. The install was done by Karnage Motorsports, the only people I trust to build a truck in Miami. (This isn't hyperbole, if you've tried to get something built in Miami, you'd be hardpressed to find a shop that isn't full of incompetent shysters.)

The lift was completed on December 31st, 2014. By 2PM on January 1st, 2015, I was on the road, bound for Troy, North Carolina and a 30 for 35 Coach And Drive put on by the Uwharrie Offroad Training Center.

Check them out here---> http://www.uortc.com/

Scott and Mike are stand-up guys and they know how to drive, but if you learn anything from them, learn the proper way to recover vehicles. I learned more about vehicle recovery in 10 minutes with them than I had learned in 6 years previous.

Some things on the wishlist moving forward:
1. I really want a front bumper. These tires are pretty big, so there's a fair bit of rubbing going on. A new front bumper would definitely help the situation as would;
2. A body mount chop and new upper control arms, probably by Total Chaos.

(This is actually a pretty sparse update, but I'll be able to add to it in the days moving forward. To hold you over until then, enjoy some pictures from the UORTC event.)

9Gg5Ygo.jpg

Some interesting trucks in this group

vEClvYR.jpg

Three-wheeling in North Carolina

lRA90im.jpg

Perched up on a rock

ssqUAdl.jpg

Good view of my new sliders, skids, and suspension

Hzk5Qfm.jpg

ZCwJ8OY.jpg

xKdr474.jpg

A-TRACS and Locker doing work

Apologies on the size of the pictures, Imgur is being a bit obstinate right now

Last edited:

NCtrail4R

Adventurer
Nothing like taking a new truck offroad while it still has the temporary tags on!

I took a condensed class from Mike at UORTC and learned a ton! Great group.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles