Going thru oil

jeepmedic46

Expedition Leader
It was the first time I checked the oil, they probably did short me, when I change the oil I'll use the Mobil 1 high mileage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

98dango

Expedition Leader
If you use a synthetic oil do not go away from it. I would stay with mobile 5_20 if that is what you have been using. They may have filled you up but cheap oil is just that.

clandr1

Adventurer
It was the first time I checked the oil, they probably did short me, when I change the oil I'll use the Mobil 1 high mileage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hopefully that's the case (it's a much easier problem to solve than actual oil consumption). I'd call the Walmart service manager and let them know. I'd even see if the name of your tech is on your receipt. It may not do any good, but at least they'll know that guy had a lapse in judgment.

98dango

Expedition Leader
Yes stay with 5 w20 and stay with one brand. These motors are very picky on what you give them. Try not to mix it up if you go backto 5 w20 and mobile your oil will stay.

thedjjack

Dream it build it
I once read a study that showed brand of oil was important... taxis cabs that always got the same brand of oil lasted longer. brand types really did not matter. Pick an oil and stick with it.

98GP

Observer
I have a cousin that lost his engine due to the oil tech not filling the crank case to the proper level. Maybe shame on my cousin for not checking after the oil change, but that is terrible service.

clandr1

Adventurer
If you use a synthetic oil do not go away from it. I would stay with mobile 5_20 if that is what you have been using. They may have filled you up but cheap oil is just that.

I missed this post somehow, but I'd like to address it. In 1998 I purchased a 1997 Yukon with 55k on it, and it had received synthetic oil it's entire life, per the previous owner. I was able to get, in writing, official confirmation from GM that moving back to non-synthetic would not harm the vehicle.

So, I think it's just an old wives tale that once a vehicle runs synthetic, it can never go back to regular oil.

edited to add: Yep, a little bit of Google-**** confirms - it is just fine to go back and forth between synthetic and regular. See items #4 and #5 on Valvoline's web site.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Full synthetic in a regular V8 F150 is a waste of oil. Cobra, Raptor, OK. But there is nothing especially wrong with the standard 4.6 that expensive oil will fix. It's a budget, low output, workhorse engine. The flaws in the 4.6, like other engines, will show up regardless of oil type.

In other news. Engine was designed for 5w30. 5w20 is for emissions. The difference between them, in a healthy engine, is negligible. 15w40 in warm climates and industrial applications with a block heater. I've even seen 5w50 in built 4.6L's for racing. I run 5w30 in Ford Modulars, 10w30 for track days.

Just use quality oil. Motrocraft Half Synth, Castrol, Mobile1, etc. Amsoil, Total Quartz 9000, and Repsol, are way overkill. Check your PCV, and do your own changes. 3 qt's low ain't going to hurt a healthy 4.6L as long as it wasn't ticking. Keep the level in the middle. Some modulars will drink the oil if you fill it clear to the top of the stick. For example, my Mustang takes 6 qt's, I only put 5 in. I add a pint of STP first (old habits, but seems to work).

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles