Going thru oil

jeepmedic46

Expedition Leader
I have a 05 f150 with the 4.6. Truck just turned 204,000 miles. Wasn't burning oil, now all of a sudden it's going thru about 3 quarts every 3000 miles. Is it time for a rebuild or can I try something like restore?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rot Box

Explorer
Last time I had a vehicle burn excessive oil it was due to a bad PCV valve... Yep stressed out for a few days just to find that out. Might be worth looking in to. Best of luck,

java

Expedition Leader
A stuck ring can do it too. I would try some seafoam personally. I havent used Restore.

AFBronco235

Crew Chief
Check for leaks as well. You may just have a bad seal. Head covers, crank case, front and rear main seal.... even the o-ring on the dip stick tube could be leaking oil.

jeepmedic46

Expedition Leader
Thank you, I'll try the pcv valve, haven't noticed any leaks, it happened so fast with the oil loss. Of course the truck is paid for now,

98dango

Expedition Leader
I have found that if you change weights and brands in the newer fords they will do this. I don't know if its the case hear but I have had a few trucks do this when the company I worked for changed fleet service contract.

clandr1

Adventurer
Do you do your own oil changes? I'm wondering if you only noticed it being 3 quarts low after a change - it's entirely possible the oil change place shorted you three quarts.

For oil, I run Mobil 1 5w-30 high mileage in all three of my vehicles: 119k, 125k, 169k. No problems at all in 4-5 years.

jeepmedic46

Expedition Leader
I generally do my own oil changes, this time I had it done at Walmart. Where I have such high mileage should I use the 5w - 30? Truck usually uses 5w - 20.

clandr1

Adventurer
So, did you ever check the oil level after Walmart changed it and confirm it was adequately topped off? Or was this the first time you'd checked it? My money is that the mouth breather who changed your oil shorted you.
Mobil 1 High Mileage is advertised as being specifically formulated for cars with 75k+ on them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94