dj's 1990 toyota pickup / vw tdi hybrid utilitarian build

Arktikos

Explorer
Pretty cool. Great idea for a 2nd generation with a dead or tired engine. Wouldn't do it with a good running 22RE though.

djtc

Adventurer
My truck runs so good right now I hate to mess with it. What's a realistic goal budget wise for a swap like this?

Depends which route you take, which motor, pump, adapter plate etc..

Example: If you fab your own plate adapter 40-60$ Vs buying one 500-600$

I also bought my motor for 400$ complete. Sold off all the electronics which funded my mechanical pump and a few other goodies.If you are handy and want a basic set up I dont see why it couldnt be done arpund the 1500$ mark.

I know the 22re is a reliable little motor but I feel like the tdi combo beats it all around. The low end torque when you are in 4 low is just amazing, highway/city its great and it looks like no matter how much I push it it doesnt really affect the fuel consumption.

The only down side I would see with my set up is if you wanted a mud bogger where high rpms and spinning tires is what gets you through...but im not into that.

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
Sweet man, glad to see your build thread!!! I'm still chugging away on my Diesel conversion, but I always love seeing an interesting build and I've been looking forward to seeing yours since you posted in my thread. The sheer amount of clever engineering and crossover parts use is really cool to see. I'm a huge fan of the TDi, and while I decided to go a different route with my 1KZ build, I think it's REALLY impressive to see what that little engine can do in a truck that size.

Couple questions: How's it feel hauling loads/towing, and how are your EGT's under full load/power??? Have you noticed any drawback to the engine??? What sort of fuel economy are you getting with it (EDIT: N/M I see you said you're pulling 30mpg with 33's... very nice!!!)???

Cheers mate

Dave

djtc

Adventurer
Hey Dave,

Towing with the older TD (AAZ) motor was okay but not best.I towed a gutted porsche 944 turbo shell with it mainly on flat land and it kept 100-110km/h no problem. However now with the more powerful tdi it should do much better.

As for the EGT's, my brand new vdo sensor is not working so I have to contact them to send me another probe.

The only drawbacks I have noticed up to now is that the tdi is so efficient in keeping cool that even with no fan the damn thing barely put out any heat.So that will be interesting this winter in -40C.
Another thing is the cabin sound.Its pretty darn loud Inside.I did replace the floor with vinyl and there is no sound proofing under there. However I dont mind it much, you can still have a conversation with the person next to you no problem but it certainly gets looks everywhere I go!

Fuel mileage is awsome , at first I thought my gauge was broken because I was not moving much! I'll get more data within the next month or so including the trip to Vermont Overland workshop.

roaming knome

Observer
I love your project! Your truck looks great, one of my favorite body styles for sure!
What year VW TDI engine did you use? I also love the simplicity and reliability of mechanical pump.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

djtc

Adventurer
98 Jetta engine code is the AHU 1.9 tdi.
It does have a passat BHW 2.0tdi turbo and larger injector nozzles though.

The ALH would be an upgrade but not by much.

roaming knome

Observer
Thanks for the info!
It sounds like a great inexpensive alternative to diesel swaps and the best part is that these engines are available here in the states.
I'm currently doing a diesel swap into my montero, (you have inspired me to start a build thread here on expo)but your build is really awesome and parts were readily available!

Thank you for planting the seed for my next project! Keep up the great work and innovation!
Keep the updates coming as well.

Thanks,
Adrian.

djtc

Adventurer
What do you guys think I should do with the rims color wise?
1.clean up the oxidation and polish+clear
2.Paint silver
3.Black
4.White
5.off white/cream

I kind of want to stay away from the modern look with this truck.

roaming knome

Observer
Those are the best looking stock alloy wheels Toyota has ever made to date. It would be a shame to paint them black. I say clean them up or possibly paint silver.
I wish they made that rim in a 16" version

djtc

Adventurer
I put some paint stripper on them wishfully thinking the clear coat would peel off and reveal a clean rim but its still showing oxidation marks. I guess they are going silver .

roaming knome

Observer
A soft bristle wire wheel will work without damaging the original surface, but it will take some time to do. If you must paint them silver I am curious as to how they come out. Never seen that style wheel painted silver.

nely

Adventurer
If your having a problem with getting heat from the tdi motor, that typically means theres a issue.

Id check your water pump. The impellers are plastic and will crack and not flow.

djtc

Adventurer
Brand new metal impeller pump. These tdi's are known to run cool. Even my newer golf tdi takes a while to heat up even after blocking the rad.

It produces heat but only after a really long drive.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94