A short first canoeing

Kiddmen57

Supporting Sponsor
I took the family to central Wisconsin to visit with my extended family and ended up getting invited to go on a quick canoeing trip with my uncle. By quick I mean a couple hours. I had never even set foot in a canoe before today. I had tolled around in a flat bottom row boat once in high school.

We were paddling a section of the Little Plover River, a nice meandering stream. Just before we set off the rain started. I luckily had packed a rain coat, but shorts and flip flops otherwise. Fortunately the temperature was a nice 78 degrees.

The rain was steady and came in a bit harder about 45 minutes in. The last 20 minutes though brought clear skies. Mid way through the short 3-4 miles we were doing we got to see a bald eagle. Recent storms had brought down a few rather large trees across the stream. Luckily we found a hole next to the bank and between a branch to make it through the largest of trees. We didn't have to portage once.

Overall it was a fun hour on the steam. When we returned to the set in spot it was beautiful broken clouds and sun. After loading the canoe we drove over to a small lake and tooled around for another hour, this time I was in rear and learned some about how to control the direction of the canoe. Now I need to see where in southern Arizona I can go myself!

amuhumyd.jpg

7epyzyta.jpg

8yjezu3e.jpg

y9u2ynu2.jpg

yzu4ygug.jpg

zelatore

Explorer
What? You mean you want a canoe instead of a kayak?

As a kid I did a fair bit of canoeing in the mid-west, up to a week-long trip in Michigan. A few years ago (well, maybe 10 years ago) I bought a canoe out here in CA for the wife and I to play with. You'd think it was a UFO - people LOVE their kayaks, but NOBODY wants anything to do with a canoe.

I don't get the kayak thing. I don't like to be wet all the time, and I've yet to figure out how to not get soaked by the water running down the paddle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94