Another 100 series vs 5th gen 4Runner thread

CYK

Adventurer
compare apples to apples.

lets say the part on the new poorly lifted 4 runner ****s the bed, and they wont cover it without a fight.

lets also say the similar part is on the lc 100, and it too has the poor lift design. it ****s the bed and you are guaranteed to pay the cost.

the 4 runner new is 35,000 bucks. the 100 new was 70,000 bucks. the replacement parts and book time on the 100 are significantly more than on the 4 runner, and due to use and age, are they more likely to fail.

even without the warranty, the 4 runner is the smarter buy.

they are all designed by the same company and the 4 runner benefits from 15 years of significant design and manufacture improvements from the time the 100 came off the drawing boards in 98. heritage? meh. there isnt a single bolt from a 60 that fits on a 100. an all new model is an all new model. they could have named it the "noothgrush on the toothbrush" or sold it thru pontiac, and it would still be the same same truck. im not saying the LC isnt a great, but "heritage" alone tells you nothing.

the 4 runner has more HP and has 17/21 mpg. the LC is 14 at best. with lift, bigger tires, full armor and full load, im below 10.

unless youre insecure about "image" which is what it think "heritage" is code for, considering your aversion to the wrench and your injury, go new.

Wrong...?

Last edited:

yeti_in_ga

SE Expedtion Society
my 2cents..

I cant take the idea of offroading a brand new truck as things do happen. I would go with the 100s best year and mileage you can find and keep a little reserve funds for extras like lift if needed and front bumper and dual batteries. Then you will be set up to enjoy for a long while. I bought my 100s with 175,000 miles on it , now has 218k and just drove over 2k miles pulling a camper. These things are great !! But do not do mods if you cant stomach the MPG.... !!! they only go down. I like the 5th gen TE but much prefer the Land Cruiser fit and finish, but is on my list to check out again when and if I ever need a replacement for the 100s.
or you could look at it this way - if your into expo style living out of the truck get the LC , if you are more into one day drives and more hard off road get the 5th gen.

either way get out and post up so we all can dream of adventure while sitting at work :smiley_drive:

fishead

Observer
Some kind of bungee on the upper glass was what I had in mind. I wouldn't be driving more than 10-20 miles so didn't think it would be a big deal. As for becoming a shade tree mechanic, it would be nice, especially when those inevitable trailside bull**** moments occur. They've happened to me hiking and biking so I don't know why driving would be any different and limping home with a band aid sure beats walking out of the bush. As for acquiring the skills, I don't know if I have the inclination or the time at this point in my life to acquire them but a basic knowledge would be important. Honestly, with everything I've read about the 100, I didn't think I had to provide a counter argument for it. They are what they are which speaks for itself.

fishead

Observer
It's going to be a pain in the ******** aka stressful to walk into a dealership with a weepy cv boot when your truck is lifted 2.5" no matter what the law dictates. If you choose to mod, be prepared to defend yourself with time, energy and $. I tend to shy away from confrontational relationships along multiple fronts. Play the cards by understanding the odds/risks.

An LC is definitely a lot cooler (I drive a Land Cruiser v. I drive a 4Runner), but an under warranty (CPO) 4R is a not insignificant wear/tear delta.

I'd personally go with the newest, lowest mileage and least modified 100 series LC. A 4R is nice, but is nearly half a century behind in the heritage dept.

I'm leaning towards the 100.

fishead

Observer
compare apples to apples.

lets say the part on the new poorly lifted 4 runner ****s the bed, and they wont cover it without a fight.

lets also say the similar part is on the lc 100, and it too has the poor lift design. it ****s the bed and you are guaranteed to pay the cost.

the 4 runner new is 35,000 bucks. the 100 new was 70,000 bucks. the replacement parts and book time on the 100 are significantly more than on the 4 runner, and due to use and age, are they more likely to fail.

even without the warranty, the 4 runner is the smarter buy.

they are all designed by the same company and the 4 runner benefits from 15 years of significant design and manufacture improvements from the time the 100 came off the drawing boards in 98. heritage? meh. there isnt a single bolt from a 60 that fits on a 100. an all new model is an all new model. they could have named it the "noothgrush on the toothbrush" or sold it thru pontiac, and it would still be the same same truck. im not saying the LC isnt a great, but "heritage" alone tells you nothing.

the 4 runner has more HP and has 17/21 mpg. the LC is 14 at best. with lift, bigger tires, full armor and full load, im below 10.

unless youre insecure about "image" which is what it think "heritage" is code for, considering your aversion to the wrench and your injury, go new.

I don't think I have an aversion to wrenching. I know the difference between a wrench and a hammer and do a lot of the maintenance on some rental properties I own. Sometimes I even find it satisfying. I would, however, rather not have to spend my weekends learning to wrench on a 100 and then doing it on a weekly or monthly basis in order to keep it running. I also wouldn't want to have pay a shop every month to keep it running. Been there and done that with a couple of Italian cars when I was in high school. I wouldn't expect to have to put that much time or money into a 100 to keep it running but I just want to be sure before I buy one. The mileage thing, I don't like about the LC. I would guess 17/21 stock might be accurate for the 4Runner, but mods and the extra weight would drop it lower just like it does for the 100 unless it's magically immune to all of the extra weight.

fishead

Observer
I drive a 99 LC and an 06 4runner....what do u like to drive?
Smooth tank? Get the LC. Quick, agile? Get the 4 runner. Also, consider room. There is no room in the 4runner. Limited I should say....what will I buy again? LC. without hesitation...

Good luck. U will enjoy both!

I used to like agile and quick. I still remember a review of some sports car from the 80's that I read in some car magazine that described the car as "more like a slap in the face than a pat on the back." I used to like that but if I want agile I can hop in my wife's Forester XT. It's reasonably agile and pretty quick. My Titan is a smooth tank and I do rather like it, especially since I'm not exactly young anymore. I did think that on the Equipt build thread he mentioned that the 5th gen is barely smaller than the 100 in terms of width and length so I thought that would be just about a wash.

fishead

Observer
Two different perspectives - see Kurt Williams' build thread on here or Mud (Project Hundy) for an LC perspective and Paul May's 4Runner Trail Edition build for a 4R perspective and comparison.

Paul had a 100 series previously but both threads will give you a real world perspective.

I've probably read them already but I'll give them another look. I've read so many builds and other stuff on here and mud that my head is spinning. I think about all that's left is seat of the pants feel to make a decision.

fishead

Observer
Either one of them would have plenty of interior room and comfy seats. If you get the 100, don't do the lift, big tires, sliders, etc. What's the point with the expedition plans you have? Instead, with vehicle maintenance history in hand, take it to a reputable shop and have them replace stuff they think could possibly fail in the forseeable future such as starter, water pump, steering rack, etc. If you get the 4Runner, don't do the lift, big tire, sliders, etc. Just drive it, with the boats up top. :)

My "expedition" plans are kind of modest. That doesn't mean I wouldn't love to hit the backcountry for weeks or a month or two at a time. For better or worse, I should've done that before I got married because now it's going to take some work to be able to do that, but there's always hope.

fishead

Observer
My advice: Get the best maintained LX470 or LC with AHC you can find and mount some 285's on it. Put a RTT on the stock roof rack and go enjoy it. It will do everything you want and be gentle on your back.

I'm thinking you might be right, but why a vehicle with AHC?

fishead

Observer
I currently own and drive both a 100 series LC and a 4 runner, on and offroad. I have owned and off-roaded many toyota trucks and suv's in the last 15 yrs.. while my current 4runner is not a 5th gen it is a 4th gen 4runner none the less.. My brother has an 11' 5th gen sr5 on 33's, which I have spent some time in offroad. I would personally suggest the 5th gen 4runner. Unless your looking for a lumbering beast.. That's what the 100 series is.. IMO. I love mine but I only own a 4runner in addition to my LC because I prefer it offroad. It's just an easier trail rig.. More agile, fits more places, easier parts to source, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm a lumbering beast so maybe it would be a good fit. Are parts really easier to source for the 4Runner? Are they less expensive also? It seems like people have suggested that. I thought about buying a 4th gen a few years ago but it felt like the the driver's seat was too low. My back did not like it. The 5th gen felt more comfortable and also felt like it had more leg room.

fishead

Observer
I would like to suggest you consider a 3rd vehicle that may get you the best of both worlds.. Give a look at the pre owned Lexus GX470's.. 4.7l V8, Great 4wd system, great suspension.. That is more reliable than the lx470 version for some reason ( I work at a dealer) very capable offroad with few mods, great suspension and comforts for a sore back..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You know, the gx470 is also on my radar. I don't think it looks very good stock but that's not a big deal. I haven't seen many with the kdss which I've read is the way to go. I also wish the mpg wasn't barely better than the 100 since they look like they're fairly smaller. Finally, I've read that parts for mods are limited. Anyway, I'm going to drive one before I make a decision.

fishead

Observer
my 2cents..

I cant take the idea of offroading a brand new truck as things do happen. I would go with the 100s best year and mileage you can find and keep a little reserve funds for extras like lift if needed and front bumper and dual batteries. Then you will be set up to enjoy for a long while. I bought my 100s with 175,000 miles on it , now has 218k and just drove over 2k miles pulling a camper. These things are great !! But do not do mods if you cant stomach the MPG.... !!! they only go down. I like the 5th gen TE but much prefer the Land Cruiser fit and finish, but is on my list to check out again when and if I ever need a replacement for the 100s.
or you could look at it this way - if your into expo style living out of the truck get the LC , if you are more into one day drives and more hard off road get the 5th gen.

either way get out and post up so we all can dream of adventure while sitting at work :smiley_drive:

I'm definitely hoping to be able to do some expo style living out of the truck. If my marriage doesn't work out, I'll definitely be doing that.
Gotta post up so others can dream of adventure. Unfortunately, that's all I'm doing until I can decide on a vehicle and find the one I want.

CreeperSleeper

Looking for bigger rocks.
I'm thinking you might be right, but why a vehicle with AHC?

You have the ability to raise and lower the suspension, as well as have 4 different stiffness settings. Daily driving, with the height in neutral, you can make it soft enough that you don't feel railroad tracks. But I can stiffen it to give me more stability when I tow, or raise it when I'm in 4wd for ground clearance, or lower it to make it easier to hook up my trailer. The reason I suggest it to you is if you have a bad back, it is the best riding system you can get in a 100.

fishead

Observer
You have the ability to raise and lower the suspension, as well as have 4 different stiffness settings. Daily driving, with the height in neutral, you can make it soft enough that you don't feel railroad tracks. But I can stiffen it to give me more stability when I tow, or raise it when I'm in 4wd for ground clearance, or lower it to make it easier to hook up my trailer. The reason I suggest it to you is if you have a bad back, it is the best riding system you can get in a 100.

I had read about the AHC and what a pain it is to remove if lifting but it does sound kind of interesting. I might be getting ahead of myself and buy the right vehicle if it comes along even if it does have AHC and just drive it until there's either a problem or a need to replace it.

Are there many trails in Oregon? I love it up there. My wife and I are considering a move to the Bend area, but I don't know much about
any trails. I would imagine there are at least some old logging roads.

CreeperSleeper

Looking for bigger rocks.
There is a ton of places out here to explore! We have quite a few OHV areas for trails and never ending logging roads. Check out Oregon Back Country Discovery Routes, too. I loved living in Bend and would move there again if the stars aligned but the Portland Metro area isn't too bad. In two hours I can be at the beach or high desert and I am less than an hour away from the mountains...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles