FujiFilm XT-1: Ultimate Travel Camera?

Scott Brady

Founder
Despite being a serious DSLR holdout, I am ready to pull the trigger on a comprehensive mirrorless system for travel on the motorcycle. As E7 wraps up, I am looking to a trans-Africa trip on a big moto, and the luxury of a 70 series with 1-ton of cargo capacity and volumous interior will be gone. The goal is to fit an entire camera kit with two bodies and required lenses into a tank bag. This goal has led me to either the FujiFilm XT-1 or the Sony A7. I believe the Sony has IQ advantages, but the Fuji is superior in durability/weathersealing and factory glass. With the weather sealed and five-stop image stabilized 18-135mm ready to drop any day, I am looking at the following.
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/fujifilm-x-t1

(2) XT-1 Bodies
10-24mm F4 (Image Stabilized wide! how novel :) )
18-135mm weather sealed zoom
56mm F1.2 (this will replace my much-loved Canon 85mm 1.2L, which I shoot more than any other lens)

It is tempting to forego the wide zoom and just run a 14mm 2.8 for simplicity and size. Will probably go with the zoom though. I am also researching the new Zeiss glass options, which are appealing for IQ and durability, but the 50mm is only a 2.8 and the same price as the much-praised 56mm Fujinon 1.2.

Anyone own this camera system and have some wisdom/advice to share? Any feedback would be appreciated :)

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
Scott, I don't own one but have talked to many users of the Fuji X series, they all mentioned battery life as a major problem. In fact, almost everyone shows me the spare battery they carry in their pocket. I would think an extended moto trip without easy recharging access may be a concern. Just something to research and a BTT

Scott Brady

Founder
I have read the same, and it is a concern. I could shoot for days with the 1DX, even in -40.

It does appear a battery grip is available, supporting a second battery and 700 frame life. Certainly kills a bit of the form factor, but would be worthwhile in the right conditions (like in a vehicle).

IMG_371683.jpg

Sure is a handsome camera

Honu

lost on the mainland
A few of my fellow togs use them
I dumped all my canon gear two years ago and picked up a Olympus OMD and some Nikon gear D600 35 and 85 prime and two zooms since one of my buds is all Nikon can use his gear also
My main pro kit now is two OMD and D600
The Oly 75 lens is. Iced than the old canon 135L or equal to it sharpest nicest lens. I have ever owned :)
I use a E-M1 for about half my work now And FF for the other half including some commercial work

Full time photographer and have a post production company so. I get to see work on files from pros all over and all cameras so kinda fun to see

www.chaddahlquist.com mostly wedding stuff there used to do commercial work for resorts

Sony Fuji Olympus. Panasonic all are great gear these days unless you are shooting sports and need 400-600 mm high end lens option and a bit quicker focus in certain situations mirrorless options are awesome

Where the mirrorless fall short is focus in dark and lack of good flash options like triggers and things
Where they can do well is focus :) no back focus ever and off sensor is more accurate in some ways and seeing what you get is a nice option at time

I will put up what I do with my OMD against anyone with a Fuji it's so close does not matter anyone who says one is better I will argue with :) again it's the tog that matters with gear choices this good
The oh smaller sensor thing is stupid anymore it's like saying a V6 engine can't do what a V8 can ?
Engine is only part of it
Not a video guy or might be pushing the panny
IMHO OMD is about the ultimate travel setup since glass is even smaller

I am keeping my eye on Sony love what they are doing with the new A series hope the next A7 fixes a few things
Being able to have the same battery and layout and sensor size is awesome idea !
Sony needs more native glass options though
Fuji has a awesome lens line up so does M4/3

Fuji has a few issues that has kept me from buying into it post production the smear issues are real so you are limited and can rear it's ugly look in foliage and for camping and stuff that's a bummer a few durability issues again full time guys Fuji is not quite as tough as it could be and service seems to be kinda sucky

Handle each one and pick what ya like the handling of
Bottom line it's the photographer not the gear when looking at the current options

A few pros I know are shooting insane good stuff with the New smaller sony RX cameras to like the new RX100III or whatever that model is as there zoom lens option then just have a nice camera with two primes downside of course battery management but true pocket camera that is capable

Few pros are also using the canon 6d and getting great battery life out of it ? And dumped L glass and grabbing some 1.8 options
At work I get about 700-900 frames out of my E-M1 seems my D600 get about 2000

Scott Brady

Founder
That RX100 is wicked. I will look at that more.

I had great luck with Olympus from 2008-2011, running a 4/3 E3 and a bunch of nice glass. For me, the XT-1 advantage is the EVF quality and the weather sealing. Otherwise, the OMD and Sony A7 are likely better choices.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
I would go back to Olympus. The sealing in the E series body is second to none. as well the glass is first rate too. I had an issue with my 510, I had a bunch of lenses etc, and sold them off for a new Sony a350. If I had my time back I would have sent in my 510 for repair and calibraition and got a new e3 body. Hindsight.

Honu

lost on the mainland
To me the xt1 and em1 evf are so close it's a non issue the older em5 was not near as nice of course :) so you might be hearing about the previous em5 evf not the new em1 :)

The E-M1 is also weather sealed seen quite a few test videos in a shower etc.. again others I know using have had no issues with either em1 or xt1 in downpours outside so most likely E-M1 or Xt1 are about equal in weather sealing

One other thing I love love tilt rear screen :) finding I am using it a lot more hope the next Fuji gets it
Love getting low shots without having to lay down or point shoot as I call it :) same overhead nice to actually frame
For people love rear tilt out screen nobody knows I am taking pics

I am just in phx so if ya get down this way feel free stop over I have a commercial espresso machine in my house :) into my espresso hahahah but can get some hands on with the em1 that way

Bruce Dorn and I have known each other for about 12 years or so but never met yet :) but known him since I was on Maui shooting commercial stuff etc.... So been around the biz long time

Again I love Fuji but think it's more limited with lack of rear tilt and smearing issues some get ?
But has awesome lens line up and like the em1 has a great EVF and is a viable option
For sure comes down to dials and feel in hand feature wise tilt screen is a must have in today's mirrorless
One thing the OLY stabilized sensor is amazing !!!!
All your glass is stabilized seriously all sensors will have to move to this in the future !
Shooting non moving things even with a long lens is easy

I am not trying to bash the Fuji either just playing devils advocate for a few things I know about them

That RX100 is wicked. I will look at that more.

I had great luck with Olympus from 2008-2011, running a 4/3 E3 and a bunch of nice glass. For me, the XT-1 advantage is the EVF quality and the weather sealing. Otherwise, the OMD and Sony A7 are likely better choices.

Lost Canadian

Expedition Leader
I am very curious about the XT-1 too. I'd like a smaller camera for the not so serious stuff and to play backup duty. I've used the EM1 and while a great camera there was too big of a drop in file malleability and quality especially when pushed into the upper ISO range, the D800's files have spoiled me I suppose. The lenses for the A7 are too big and there are issues with wide angles, so it's out for me, and my only concern with the Fuji is the raw conversion. Reports are many raw converters have trouble with the x-trans sensor and fine details can at times take on a watercolour effect. Not sure if this has been sorted yet. I'd love to hear feedback as well. I almost pulled the trigger the other day trigger simply because I want the 56 1.2. Samples look amazing.

[video=vimeo;84594981]http://vimeo.com/84594981[/video]
http://www.nathanelson.com/blog/fashion-shoot-bts-with-the-fuji-56mm-1-2/

Scott Brady

Founder
I am just in phx so if ya get down this way feel free stop over I have a commercial espresso machine in my house :) into my espresso hahahah but can get some hands on with the em1 that way

Bruce Dorn and I have known each other for about 12 years or so but never met yet :) but known him since I was on Maui shooting commercial stuff etc.... So been around the biz long time

You had me at "Commercial Espresso Machine"! :)

We are having an open house on August 30th. Come on up. Bruce should be here.
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/128773-2014-Overland-Journal-Open-House

Honu

lost on the mainland
Scott Brady :) might have to do that ;) would be fun excuse to get up and finally meet Bruce to :) ahahahhah

Trevor the problem still exists on the Fuji ? I use C1 a lot and know that is one of the programs some like the new profiles in LR are helping quite a bit and the stuff I have worked with have been weddings and did not see any of the smearing (water color) effect in those but it was not the stuff you see it in

the E-M1 files I have are very good and can be pushed pulled quite a bit but often the issue with the E-M1 is you need the new LR profile support for sure and settings have to vary a bit and can't be pushed on the sharpening side as much as they are already sharper same thing with pushing clarity etc.. is often in the reverse direction a touch

I work on D800 files a lot ended up with the D600 over the D800 cause what I was doing the D800 was overkill :) and the D600 controls noise better than the D800

of course the two cameras to chase are the 1Dx and the D4s and now the Df they have almost a full stop of lead on the competitors but for noise the new sony has bested those by almost a stop ? but handling wise not sure yet
one thing cool about the sony is the electronic shutter and pure silence :)

the one issue I do see with the Fuji is the fine detail in upper iso gets soft and needs a lot of sharpening to get back and then all the noise comes back in ? also the reds mush out which ironic is OK for skin tones to soften the rudy look down but if you are not shooting just portrait people can be a problem

example form DPreview
xt1omd3200.tiff

good example of the Df against the 610 against the OMD
compare12800.tiff

reality of course the OMD tops out around 3200 for clean about 1 stop behind but I can shoot wide open :) when I am doing work with FF even my 85 is often around 2.8 -4 range to get things in focus
so I can open up my OMD lens by a stop or more and gain that back so end up in the same spot

good example 1600 iso oly 75 wide open
speech1.jpg

reality is mirrorless has some solid things going for it but a learning curve is needed in some ways and they are not perfect but neither is FF just like times one might want a Med Format rig to
the D800 and the A7r are of course resolution kings but noise raises its head in higher ISO sweet spot is still around 16-24MP on FF sensor IMHO at least :)

and there is a reason I still have both FF gear and M4/3 both do things the other can not do as well I am never all one system guy if I was to have only one system it would be tough to decide when I shot commercial I was two systems also

for travel my M4/3 is all I use anymore even seeing my wedding work in full size there is no short of quality over FF
if one does not make a living but wants one system for budget reasons that opens up things a lot :)

I think Fuji needs one more generation to get the kinks worked out better :) the sony A7 series is again really really cool for what its doing but sony is strange so I am cautious and it needs another generation for sure and a bit more time for good glass to come out at this point its the best system if you have legacy CV or Leica glass etc.

I think like all toys we need two systems :) ahhaahhahahah

some of the 1 inch cameras are impressive for a travel camera like the sony RX100III that thing rocks ! sure it won't be quite as good as a D800 file or other FF file but it can be in your pocket and gives you a super fast lens that is very nice again lots of my pro buds are picking these up as there pocket system

so OK three systems :)

again I praise the Oly cause its a great package but I still again have FF gear for some work and truly feel its like having more than one off road vehicle having a nice daily driving LC100 say is cool but having a rock crawler and a unimog and a bike is even better :)

Lost Canadian

Expedition Leader
Noise or lack of detail has never been a problem for me and my D800. Here are two samples from a wedding I did two weeks ago with it, both are shot at ISO 6400. This is tough to beat IMO and why I have trouble with M4/3, there's just no comparison in this type of environment. Not for what I do anyway. That's why I have hopes for the Fuji with their lovely primes as a backup. I'm hoping it can close that gap a little better.

i-S7Xh6x7-XL.jpg

i-qgPtwhD-XL.jpg

This is a 100% crop. You can still see her pores so lots of detail still remains, her skin tone and colour is still very good, and noise is pleasant and grain like.

i-QJ4MJk4-XL.jpg

Honu

lost on the mainland
also read this as just fun sharing not at all trying to lecture etc.. :) hahaha just nice to see other togs etc.. :) I write poor sorry :) don't want it to come out bad
just been at this a long time and pretty good life in the industry I carved out over the years

D800 is noisy compared to others though :) never said its bad just not as good as some when it comes to noise :) plenty of detail of course and is a great camera for sure that and the A7R you can't touch for detail in the 35mm style FF format its not the best for low noise though but is the best for detail and pure MP :)

for weddings these days I shoot the M4/3 cause its fun and certain things I like about it it much more quiet etc. but about half my shots are with FF half with the Oly so again I shoot both love both leverage both for its advantages just like primes vs zooms both have a place shot over 40 jobs with the M4/3 along side my FF took about 15 to really find its pros and cons ;) hahahaha also I am bored after shooting so long and kinda getting out of weddings compared with what I started with when digital came in all cameras are superior to my old 1D or 1DMKII even the MKIII the mirrorless beat the pants of those and I did fine with those :)
IMHO gear won't hold you back anymore know matter what you choose

stuff like this the tilt screen is handy love that feature
mike_meredith_04w.jpg

this is typical speech shot kinda thing at the reception with the OLY 75 lens plenty of detail you can actually make out each eye lash kinda detail this is not retouched :) just out of raw full size so you can see detail
http://chaddahlquist.com/forums/75speech.jpg

where they do fall short low light focus so usually I do the speeches cause I love that Oly 75 ! insane good lens sharper than any nikon lens but once receptions start tend to just do the FF with primes the only lens to equal it would be the 135L and IMHO the Oly might lead it
just like the new Fuji 56 1.2 and the panny/leica 42.5 those two lens for mirrorless are beating the FF offerings in the 85 range ! which is killer !!!!
I hated the canon 85 1.2 but loved it for output wide open but shot my 1.8 more since it would focus quicker and ended up dumping the 1.2 since its a dog to focus

been a full time wedding tog about 15 years :) and also did commercial before that like Architectural Digest Food & Wine Conde Nast Travel about 100 jobs a year so would say have a good track record :)
www.chaddahlquist.com some wedding stuff now also have a post production company www.happyfish.com so I see a ton of files from all kinds of cameras on top of what I shoot :) I only shoot about 20-30 jobs a year now though to busy with the post company
before all that did underwater for about 15 years :) some insane stuff got to see and do like one of the few to dive and take photos on the USS Arizona etc.. my underwater stuff was the most fun places like Micronesia doing stuff on WWII shipwrecks etc..

not sure if you own a E-M1 or GH4 ? but depending on what/how you use things other M4/3 are not in the same class as the OMD or GH4 but you are not going to find the fuji any better than a E-M1 some might argue one way or the other but its a mute point they are so close
again I have compared enough weddings with both
and as we know its the tog not the gear ;) myself and some of my buds who shoot fuji or Oly blend it in so you can't see the difference
good point that above shot this was with FF
mike_meredith_02w.jpg

even blown up or pixel peeping you can't tell the difference ? if anything the M4/3 might be a touch better

again not saying don't get a Fuji :) if that is what ya like ya get it use it and enjoy it but be ready for focus frustration in low light ! I love the fuji but I don't love the focus and don't love the files at times
did a NY wedding recently second shooter had Fuji and first time running through the newer LR now that it supports it way better but C1 is even better also could use a tilt screen :)

Fuji for wedding togs has a nice lens line up and the 56 1.2 is a great piece of glass myself I am waiting to see what they do with the next pro model and if they can get focus down a bit better I might go that route since I used to shoot viewfinder gear in the 70s and 80s some :)

good story for the Fuji saving the day :)
not sure if you know John Mireles ? he has a fuji likes it but he was sharing he had a shoot the other day the 10s of thousands of dollar kind and his D800 kept having back focus issue pulled out his Fuji and saved the day :)

for sure any mirrorless is a nice piece of gear to have in the kit these days I will say don't dump your D800 though :) cause I think you will still need it want it especially when the lights go down
I know you mentioned backup ? not sure if you have two D800 ? I would go that route first :)

I would say use it for its pros super quiet getting ready shooting is really nice without the louder clunks etc.. so its more in addition to the FF gear

Last edited:

Lost Canadian

Expedition Leader
D800 is noisy compared to others though :) never said its bad just not as good as some when it comes to noise

In most cases, not all, dynamic range being one, if you you downscale 36 megapixels to 24 or even 16 the noise advantage of the lower megapixel cameras pretty much disappears. But I digress.

also could use a tilt screen :)
Not sure if you were saying it does or doesn't, but the XT-1 does have a tilt screen.
Fuji_X-T1_5-580-100.jpg

any mirrorless is a nice piece of gear to have in the kit these days I will say don't dump your D800 though :) cause I think you will still need it want it especially when the lights go down
I know you mentioned backup ? not sure if you have two D800 ? I would go that route first :)
I have a D810 en route which will serve primary duty and the D800 will play backup until I find a suitable smaller kit. The native ISO of 64-12,800 and the electronic front-curtain shutter won me over, as did the group AF and larger buffer which is reportedly twice as big. If I have one complaint with the D800 it's that the files are so large when the pipes get full the camera essentially comes to a screeching halt.

Anyway back to the XT-1. The other area I am curious about and one I haven't found much info on yet is the Wi-Fi connectivity and how well Fuji's new camera remote app works. That could be extremely handy. If anyone has played with that I'd love to hear how it works.
pic_01.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz