Kenwood DNX6160

MikeCG

Adventurer
I found a Kenwood DNX6160 sitting on the shelf at the local Salvation Army store. It was marked at $50 and it was a 50% off day. So walked out the door with it for $25. I figured it was worth the gamble.

The Kenwood DNX6160 is a double DIN, GPS/DVD/CD Stereo. I got it home and the only cable in the box was the GPS antenna.I ordered a wiring harness off eBay, to test it. When the harness came in I hooked it to the battery to see if it at least powered up. Looked to be working fine. I had it installed in my wifes Chevy Express Conversion van about a month ago. I got to playing with it the other day and realized I'm keeping the thing to install in an Expedition Vehicle eventually.

The GPS uses Garmin software which means that all the downloadable routes for the Trans American Trail can be loaded. Also, I noticed two great features on it that I can't find on my other GPS. It allows you to enter LAT/LONG for destinations and for route preferences it allows you to choose offroad. I've never seen the offroad route option on an installed GPS before. Previously I would use my DeLorme Laptop system.

I purchased the Radio and pieced together everything for the install (only thing not done is a backup camera), for a total of about $100. I priced them on on the internet and the cheapest I could find was $400 for a used one. Only down side was the $250 to install it, I could have probably found cheaper, but I was more worried about quality then cost. The shop had a good rep and was only about 3 miles from my house.

Anyway, the point of all that was to let people know of a good installed GPS for Expedition Vehicles.

MikeCG

Adventurer
Played with the offroad setting. It isn't what I hoped. It just does a as the crow flies line to the destination. It does allow for the routes to be built and you can set the aviodences to avoid highways.

My total investment including install was $350. I could have added the back up camera for another $120. $250 was the install.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke