more evidence that the Wrangler may be in for a change

haven

Expedition Leader
Motor Trend's blog has an unsettling post about the future of the Wrangler.

“ With Jeep's sights set on luring buyers away from its competitors' softer SUVs, there have been rumors that the next Wrangler might lose its current solid front and rear axles… Jeep's CEO Mike Manley sees a reason for this potential change in direction. ‘You can't sell 19,000-plus retail Wranglers [as the brand did in May] to people who just want to go off-roading," Manley told AN. "Why would, for example, somebody else's SUV that's really an on-road 'soft' SUV not be for me a genuine target for Wrangler?' ”

Source: http://wot.motortrend.com/1407_next...weight_add_updated_transmissions_engines.html

Well, before you generate too much extra stomach acid, Jeep already has a vehicle to compete with "soft" SUVs. It's the Grand Cherokee. The difference between the GC and the Honda Pilot/Toyota Highlander/Nissan Pathfinder/Ford Explorer is that the "soft" SUVs have the option of a third row of seats. That's why Jeep wants to build a stretched version of the Grand Cherokee.

So does it make sense for the Wrangler to be changed to independent suspension, and steal sales from the Grand Cherokee?

The Dodge Durango, a stretched version of the Grand Cherokee, already offers three rows. The Durango just won a Motor Trend comparison test against the above mentioned "soft" SUVs, although many readers thought the test results should have put the Highlander in top spot, with the Durango second.

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
So they are selling every Wrangler they make....and they want to mess with it?
Sure why not, sounds like a great idea. Take something that the buyers are very happy with and muck it up.

haven

Expedition Leader
I think Manley's quote above means he wants to sell more than the current 19K Wranglers a month. He thinks he can steal sales from the "soft" SUV brands. But to do so the Wrangler would have to have better on-road manners.

Wrangler appeals to a younger demographic than Grand Cherokee. Part of that is the low entry price for a Wrangler Sport. Another part is the removable roof and doors. A third part is you rarely see a soccer mom/dad driving a Wrangler. A fourth part is the availability of aftermarket accessories. The fifth part is the "adventurous" image of the Wrangler. Last is the actual off-road capability.

The "soft" SUVs are often purchased as a family hauler, a substitute for a minivan. Is that the market Jeep wants to enter with the Wrangler?

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
And lets make a 1.5L diesel Corvette because consumers want a high mileage car that looks fast....

rammland

Observer
I think a lot of this is a marketing strategy. Jeep buyers are very, very afraid of change and by saying that the new jeep wrangler is going to be on a dodge dart chassis makes people freak out and buy the model out currently. Wrangler sales go up every month and Chrysler has already moved the redesign date back as well because sales are so steady. Chrysler wants you to worry that the beloved Wrangler is going away, so you buy the one out now and all of the Mopar accessories to go with it. They did the same thing before the JK platform came out and they are doing it again.

tommudd

Explorer
I think Manley's quote above means he wants to sell more than the current 19K Wranglers a month. He thinks he can steal sales from the "soft" SUV brands. But to do so the Wrangler would have to have better on-road manners.

Wrangler appeals to a younger demographic than Grand Cherokee. Part of that is the low entry price for a Wrangler Sport. Another part is the removable roof and doors. A third part is you rarely see a soccer mom/dad driving a Wrangler. A fourth part is the availability of aftermarket accessories. The fifth part is the "adventurous" image of the Wrangler. Last is the actual off-road capability.

The "soft" SUVs are often purchased as a family hauler, a substitute for a minivan. Is that the market Jeep wants to enter with the Wrangler?

Around Toledo/ (and down in Central Ohio) all you see driving them are Soccer Moms with larger tires ( on the ground and the stock spare hanging off the rear) Not sure where you don't see that at

Haggis

Appalachian Ridgerunner
A third part is you rarely see a soccer mom/dad driving a Wrangler.

At least in my part of the country this statement is untrue. The vast majority of Wranglers (especially the Unlimiteds) are driven by women as daily drivers here in the snow belt. The Wrangler is considered a family car by most fslks in the areas where having four wheel drive is important just to get anywhere come winter. There are far more JKs with stick figure family stickers on the back window roaming around than kitted out off-roaders.

I Leak Oil

Expedition Leader
Sounds like Jeep is continuing to listen to what their customers are demanding....;)...or so I've read....

mikeJKUR

Adventurer
At least in my part of the country this statement is untrue. The vast majority of Wranglers (especially the Unlimiteds) are driven by women as daily drivers here in the snow belt. The Wrangler is considered a family car by most fslks in the areas where having four wheel drive is important just to get anywhere come winter. There are far more JKs with stick figure family stickers on the back window roaming around than kitted out off-roaders.

In my area people love to make them look like they take them out with C.B. antennas, bumpers, even a winch but never do.

haven

Expedition Leader
Jeep seems to be heading toward two divisions. There's the sophisticated all weather transport (Grand Cherokee, Cherokee and the planned Grand Cherokee with longer wheelbase), and the sporty fun/adventure vehicle (Wrangler, Wrangler Unlimited, and the new Renegade).

If Jeep keeps the 2 door Wrangler as a solid axle rockhopper, is there room in the Jeep cosmos for a Wrangler with independent front suspension and a third row of seats? Toyota, Land Rover, even Ford with the Raptor have shown there are plenty of buyers willing to trade off extreme rock crawling capability for better comfort.

Or maybe the independent front suspension vehicle won't be called a Wrangler. Keep Wrangler as the name for a two door SUV and a two door pickup, both with solid front axles.

grimbo

Explorer

Same here

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
Well NOT in these parts. where the opposite is true, the Toyota suvs and land rovers are driven by snobby doctors and their wives, and the jeeps are driven by outdoor loving off roading people.

drcoopster

Adventurer
Lots of mall crawler Wranglers here. That said, I don't think that an IFS Wrangler would be a big hit. As much as I love my IFS WK2, there's still a ripe market for the Wrangler in its current form.

Although, in the unlikely event that they do make an IFS Wrangler that was as capable as the current model, I'll be impressed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94