more evidence that the Wrangler may be in for a change

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Yeah, other than the hands free answering/talking/ending call, I've given up on my uConnect. I even dislike the GUI of the music player (why can't I just delete a song directly from the tracklist?). And my wife and I share the Jeep...she doesn't like my music, and I can barely tolerate her hippity-hop pop crap. Using separate folders works, but then it displays the file name rather than the song title. Either it is dumb, or not intuitive enough for me to figure it out.

If I were to order another Jeep, I'd skip the 430N all together and use a tablet (an iPad, since I already have one) on a Ram mount, external GPS receiver (like the Bad Elf Gps for Lightening Connector), and offline PDF maps for navigation (Avenza PDF Maps for backroads), and play music (iTunes). If I didn't already have an iPad, I'd probably just buy a cheap tablet I didn't care about in case I was too lazy to remove it when parked and someone stole it.

Edit: I have a Samsung Galaxy phone and it still sucks.
I just stick in a thumb-drive. Displays artist/track and can go in order or random. Just can't use voice command to find a track but I can live with that.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
I spoke with him at length later on.
It's obvious he takes and enormous amount of pride in his work, company and people.
I'd be shocked to find out he's knowingly using something that's sub-par.

Post a thread on the AEV forums, he'll reply.

-Dan
I sent a PM AEV Dave on Monday and still haven't heard back.

Here's info on how certifications work for headlights in the US:

Scheinwerfermann said:
In certification-based systems such as the ones we have in the United States and Canada, the manufacturer or importer of a regulated item self-certifies that the item meets the requirements. There is no legally mandatory test procedure, and there is no list of accredited test labs -- the manufacturer/importer has to satisfy themselves that the device meets the requirements, then certify to that effect -- in the case of headlamps, the "DOT" mark on the lens constitutes the maker's formal certification. A shady manufacturer could just skip all the engineering and testing and just put "DOT" on the lens, but since the manufacturer/importer is legally liable for that certification and all subsequent liability that may arise from a noncompliant item of regulated equipment, reputable manufacturers do it the right way.

IPF doesn't stamp their lamps with a "DOT", an "SAE", or even any legit ECE markings. They put an "E" in a circle that fools some people into thinking they're ECE-compliant.
It's just a bad product and I can't believe that AEV sells it. That alone gives me pause when considering any of their products...

And here's a quote from a LEO regarding illegal headlights in his jurisdiction, how he handles offenders:
drmalenko said:
Here, its illegal to sell, offer to sell, or use, so all parties can be ticketed and possibly be jailed for it (yes, you can go to jail for illegal lights), thats state law.

However as Scheinwerfermann will chime in shortly and clarify, the dealership is a "regulated party" (as is anyone who works on cars for money) and can be fined by NHTSA on a federal level, provided you can get them to actually look into it.

I ask everyone I stop where/who did the illegal mods, if the place is in my jurisdiction, im pay them a visit. Ive also been checking craigslist regularly, I see several people selling illegal lights, I plan to meet them, and ticket them.

MR.Ty

Observer
The only thing I like about the MyGig (conceptually, I haven't done this yet, but am about to pull the plug) is that it supports multiple cameras (with the Lockpick product).

I look forward to having a backup cam and a front cam (to lessen the need to get out and spot myself up hilly terrain).
That sounds like a neat mod. How do you plan to do it?

Vince1

Adventurer
I wouldn't fret any radical changes. There isn't a vehicle in the world where there is such a huge aftermarket industry that supports individual customization. So much so that no two well-owned JKs are alike. There is no way in hell this industry would support a radical manufacturer model change and Chrysler knows it. A Wrangler that is no longer true to its heritage would sink the ship. They have several other models to fill the SUV/Crossover/flavor of the month categories where the majority of buyers never do a single mod.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke