Chevy 6 lug on M101a2??? Do 8 lug to 6 lug wheel adapters exist........

anw7405

Observer
I am about to pull the trigger on buying an m101a2 trailer that has the standard 8 lug chevy lug pattern. I see a ton of adapters from 6 to 8 but none from 8 to 6?? Can I flip them? The reason being I have a 1/2 ton suburban and would like all the wheels to have the same lug pattern. (6 lug chevy)

Contact motorsport-tech for a quote on custom ones. I have a M1102 and I have two options, custom adapters or purchase aftermarket 17" rims for the trailer and same rims but 16" for my truck

1stDeuce

Explorer
8 to 6 lug spacer/adapters exist, but they're spendy, and 2-piece. No hubs are available to convert the military axle. You can buy a standard axle with 6-lug hubs and hydraulic brakes, but not with provisions for the mechanical parking brakes that the Mil axle has.

Might I suggest heading a different direction and change your 6-lug suburban to 8-lug. :) The front is easy, you just need new 8-lug hubs. For the rear, I would look for a junkyard 14bolt semi-floater and toss that in. The 14 bolt semi-float axles are pretty easy to come by, reasonably priced, and can be had with lots of gearing choices and the G80 for locker, which works pretty well IMO. Just an idea.
Good Luck!
chris

landcruiser40th

Take the hubs and drums to a machine shop with 12 new factory wheel studs from your vechical and have them redrilled to the 6 lug pattern.
Its an easy job for them and cheap. worked on my old trailer. hope this helps

mike

1stDeuce

Explorer
Take the hubs and drums to a machine shop with 12 new factory wheel studs from your vechical and have them redrilled to the 6 lug pattern.
Its an easy job for them and cheap. worked on my old trailer. hope this helps

mike

I suppose this is an option, but not a cheap one, as they'd have to first fill most of the 8-lug holes, then drill the 6-lug holes in both the drums and the hubs. But it could be done I suppose. Problem is that the 6 and 8 lug patters are both on 5-1/2" bolt circles...

Scoutman

Explorer
8 to 6 lug spacer/adapters exist, but they're spendy, and 2-piece. No hubs are available to convert the military axle. You can buy a standard axle with 6-lug hubs and hydraulic brakes, but not with provisions for the mechanical parking brakes that the Mil axle has.

chris

There are brake assemblies available with the mechanical parking brake. I'm not certain the axle mounting flange holes are the same since this is for a 6k axle.
http://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Brakes/Dexter/23-112.html

1stDeuce

Explorer
Yeah, I'm pretty sure the hubs from a 5200lb axle are not going to fit on the 6000lb axle that the 1101/2 use. Generally, the bearings are larger as you go up Dexter's load ratings, and they match the lug pattern to the load.

<edit> Well I'll be a monkey's uncle... I'm evidently wrong! Those hubs do say they fit 5200 and 6k axles, so they must use the same bearings on both. A little farther down, they have 6k 6 bolt hubs listed. I thought the 6k+ axles were all 8-lug only. Interesting! So it would then be a question of whether the brake parts on the mil trailer would fit inside the drum for the 6-lug 5200lb hubs, which they probably do. That means you could even ditch the hydraulic and go to electric brakes and STILL keep your parking brake if you wanted. So it might be not only possible, but easy! Look at that!! :)

C

Last edited:

Scoutman

Explorer
It's probably best to call dexter and ask someone some questions. I would get your inner and outter bearing ID (spindle OD's) and see where that leads you. I had looked at ditching the surge hydraulic brake assemblies on my 101A3 in favor of an electric brake with provisions for an E-brake while keeping the 8 lug.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94